Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tax refund procedures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buddie3232

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like everyone's taxes are going up as of Jan 1, 2010. I just got a 2 page letter from http://www.nts.go.kr/eng. email address: [email protected] phone number 051-750-7634 (Busan Office) Help line for Foreign Taxpayer 1588-0560

Expiration of 30% non-taxable treatment. As provision of tax law, this rule is effective only up to December 31, 2009, so from January 1, 2010 we should not apply it.
Shocked
jamjam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: 2009 taxes help! Reply with quote

Hello,
I got here in Sept. 2009. I have been working at a public school AFTER SCHOOL program ever since...
In Sept. - when i arrived I was told "my contract was dropped" and I had no job. I worked illegally for one month at different after school classes. Anyway....after that I have been taxed at a rate of 3.3% each month. My company took me in person to the tax office on the 31 of May (last day) to file taxes.
I do not have stubs...nor a receipt for filing taxes.
So, I am to receive a refund in about 4 weeks from NTS...but will it only be for 3 months of 2009 (Oct,Nov, Dec 2009)?
My company has an accountant. However my manager could not clearly state what exactly was to happen.
Do I still need to do all this other end-of-year statement junk before I leave in October 2010 for the remainder of my taxes?
OR will the sum be all averaged out for the 12 month period and given to me in lump sum in 4 weeks - even though I have not finished my year yet.
Agh.
I am so confused about how how to calculate the pension etc. in that calculating module. I make 2.5 and 3.3% is withheld. That is all I know. Oh, and my company will not pay for medical - so I have not either.

I have been here for 9 months now. No tax refund has ever been given to me...should I have received one in January 2009 from my company? Or because I went to the tax office is it the opposite way?
Thank you for any clarification in advance.
BrenSmith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious how many people, working at hagwons, have actually received an income tax return? Not many I have talked to even knew it was possible. Your school supposedly should file it for you but I imagine the percentage of schools that actually do it is very minimal. Could this be due to lack of knowledge/concern on their behalf or to hide dodgy tax practices?

I know I'm taxed at 3.3% like many others when according to the NTS website I should be taxed around 1.8%
I also did a theoretical tax return calculation (based on the 2009 year) on the website and found I'd be eligible for over 700,000 back. So that raises the question as to whether there is any truth to this abolition of the 30% tax break?
As someone who wants to squeeze every little Won (particularly 700,000+) out of this country while I'm here I don't see much talk on getting tax returns.
I fully plan on bringing this up to my Dear Leader at the hagwon. Would love to hear a success story or two.
leilan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, dang it! I wanted to teach abroad and I really had South Korea in my sights but I think it srather a difficult task to get hired by the government and lit teachers have more luck with privately owned schools.
marina_ballerina

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My former hagwon under-reported our income and filed their taxes but didn't give us our return, they say we need to do it ourselves and a form will come in the mail...looks like another trip through the maze of Korean bureaucracy for me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: