Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is there to do in Bundang?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alpinegal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: What is there to do in Bundang? Reply with quote

I am moving to Bundang from Canada in December, and am wondering if anyone knows of fun things to do there. I was told that it is near Seoul, and I guess I am just wondering if it is as westernized as Seoul in terms of entertainment and shopping. Does anyone know of good bars, restaurants, English movie theatres, grocery stores, etc? Also, can a person go to Seoul on a Saturday, hit some bars and then return to Bundang that same night to avoid hotel costs? Any tips and advice are welcome.
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, can a person go to Seoul on a Saturday, hit some bars and then return to Bundang that same night to avoid hotel costs?

Can't really help with the nightlife aspect of Bundang as I don't live there, but to get to my town you have to go through and past Bundang...

so...

if you're out in Seoul at night it's possible to catch buses back to Bundang from Gangnam until around 1:30am and then they start running again from 5am so that's almost perfect Smile
eamo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bundang is a family-centered suburb so it's not much of a party town.

There's some good;

department stores
restaurants
bars
cinemas

which you will discover when you arrive.

Here's the government website for Seongnam (which includes Bundang)

http://www.cans21.net/etc/country/e_home/index.htm

The central park is very impressive for Korea where they tend to call something the size of a standard American backyard a park.

You can go to the nightlife areas of Seoul and return on the subway when it opens at 5:30am. It's about a 1hr 20min trip. I always take 3 hours to get home because I fall asleep on the subway and miss my tranfers!!

A few of us Dave's people get together reguarly in Bundang so give me a PM when you arrive and join the Bundang crew!!!!
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also a couple of threads on bundang in waterbabys FAQ section.

CLG
JackSarang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: [b]What is there to do in Bundang?[/b] Reply with quote

Alpinegal wrote:
I am moving to Bundang from Canada in December, and am wondering if anyone knows of fun things to do there. I was told that it is near Seoul, and I guess I am just wondering if it is as westernized as Seoul in terms of entertainment and shopping. Does anyone know of good bars, restaurants, English movie theatres, grocery stores, etc? Also, can a person go to Seoul on a Saturday, hit some bars and then return to Bundang that same night to avoid hotel costs? Any tips and advice are welcome.

Bundang has all the amenenities for "Fun".. such as movies, shopping, dining.. excellent transportation system.. tons of gyms, an indoor ice-rink and 2 beautiful parks.

You will need to find out specifically what area you'll be living in, simply ask what subway stop your house will be closest too. "Central Bundang" is at Samsung Plaza/Seohyun Station and has tons of bars, 2 movie theaters (1 5 screen and 1 12 screen) craploads of dining etc.

As for going into Seoul, getting in is dirt cheap, about 30 minutes by express bus for 1400 won. Getting home is around a 30,000 won cab ride or 1400 won if you wait till 5:30am and catch the first bus home.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to try working there sometime.

Look at Bundang as like a modern suburb of Chicago. There's a certain town in Chi-town I'm thinking of but can't remember.

Bundang is very family friendly. Many families move out of Seoul to the burbs. Bundang is very attractive to the upper-class.

Parts of Bundandg are very modern and clean. Well designed residential areas with shopping, restaurants and night-life nearby. Then you got your Ori and Migeum area which are on the Seoul subway. I believe there is a Gumi-dong, which is also another armpit of the area.

Just ask questions. You'll get it right.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
hadeshorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also have RC car races there. I go there sometimes with my car and give it a thrash around the track.
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holyjoe wrote:
Quote:
Also, can a person go to Seoul on a Saturday, hit some bars and then return to Bundang that same night to avoid hotel costs?

Can't really help with the nightlife aspect of Bundang as I don't live there, but to get to my town you have to go through and past Bundang...

so...

if you're out in Seoul at night it's possible to catch buses back to Bundang from Gangnam until around 1:30am and then they start running again from 5am so that's almost perfect Smile

Don't you live in Suwon? Why go through Bundang? Or do you just go into Suwon for the soccer?
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't you live in Suwon? Why go through Bundang? Or do you just go into Suwon for the soccer?

I lived near Suwon, in a wee town called Gugal attached to Shingal, which is only 5 minutes away from the Yong-Tong area of Suwon.
The 2002 and 6006 buses run all the way there and go through Bundang.

Won't be living there any more once I'm married as I'm moving to Seoul at the end of the month when me and the wife get back from our honeymoon.

Unfortunately Anyang or Bucheon will be my new 'local' club (at least until Seoul FC start up), but I've made my choice so I'll be sticking with Suwon Samsung Smile
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Gugal.
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gugal's not too bad... will be nice when it's finished but it just seems a wee bit too quiet.

You working there, or at Gangnam Uni?
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work up the road in Guseong nearer the Walmart. I find this area a little quiet and isolated and will be leaving around New Years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: