Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where there is smoke...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K-in-C

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Where there is smoke... Reply with quote

Hi, all,

The other day I got to thinking about the last potluck dinner I went to at a New Canadian Centre in Ontario. The guest speaker was a firefighter. She showed the new Canadians a video about how quickly a fire can spread and gave them some safety tips. One tip was to make sure that they have/get a smoke detector. I'm just wondering, how many of you have one in your place, and if not , have any of you given any thought to having one installed?

Until next time,

Kate

P.S. I don't have one but plan on requesting that one be installed asap.
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not give the money that you were going to spend on the 'tector to starving kids in Ethiopa?

Let your conscience be your guide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
K-in-C

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: In the dark... Reply with quote

buddy bradley wrote:
Why not give the money that you were going to spend on the 'tector to starving kids in Ethiopa?

Are you a representative for World Vision, or what?

Firstly, not having a smoke detector is simply not wise.

And, what does starving children in Ethiopia have to do with the topic at hand? I have donated money, and time to many causes, however, I would not donate to a cause because some stranger posted that he/she felt I should donate money.

Respectfuly,

K
katydid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***katy looks around her apartment***

I don't think I do, actually. Shocked Sprinklers all over the place though. I guess THOSE would be my smoke detectors. Especially disconcerting, is that the one place I don't have one (the laundry "room") is the one place my friend told me she once smelled smoke in her apartment. Her washer was shorting out and she smelled burning rubber.

Well, OK, you just made me want my mommy.
ratslash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i set the fire alarm off in my apartment the other night...

i recently bought a humdifier and i put it in the centre of the room under the smoke detector. the steam coming from the humidifier set off the alarm. yeah, i know, i was surprised too! must be the world's most sensitive smoke alarm. still, at least i know the fire alarm system works.

on a more scary note however, the other day i was watching one of those fire safety videos, in seoul, that are broadcast in the stations after the tradegy in daegu. so, they've go to the part werte they have worked out how to open the doors and they are leaving the train. now, what is it that every fire safety officer that i have ever listened to (even in primary school) said about leaving the scene of a fire - "DON'T RUN!". this video showed people doing a maurice green out of the station!!! yeah, i know that nobody in that situation would walk, but that is not what you should be broadcasting!!!
just because

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the sprinklers in my apartment and my hagwon. Both were built in buildings that are 10 years old and you just know that they won't work. I'm tempted to test the one out at the hagwon to be sure. Koreans are not known for their safety first record, especially in something so old.
As Bon Jovi said, I'll be going down in a Blaze of Glory.
Homer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-in-C,,

Also you should not forget these security devices for your appartment, because afterall you never know!

1- 4 deadbolts for your door. To keep the boogeyman out

2- A rail guard and emmergency oxygen mask and flotation device next to the bath tub..in case you fall in and "start to drown".

3- A fire extinguisher in every room and 4 above the stove just in case ya know.

4- A complete set of antidotes for all know poisons, to be safe of course.

5- A parachute in case you live on a hight floor and have to jump

6- Rail guards with clip-on safety straps along all walls in case you should slip...

7- A full gear safety harness in your bed in case of earthquakes.

8- Emmergency food and water rations for a year in case of war.

Did I forget anything?
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
Did I forget anything?

9- Know your MOPP levels. Don't be like Jan, it might not be a drill.
K-in-C

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
K-in-C,,

Also you should not forget these security devices for your appartment, because afterall you never know!

1- 4 deadbolts for your door. To keep the boogeyman out

2- A rail guard and emmergency oxygen mask and flotation device next to the bath tub..in case you fall in and "start to drown".

3- A fire extinguisher in every room and 4 above the stove just in case ya know.

4- A complete set of antidotes for all know poisons, to be safe of course.

6- Rail guards with clip-on safety straps along all walls in case you should slip...

7- A full gear safety harness in your bed in case of earthquakes.

8- Emmergency food and water rations for a year in case of war.

Did I forget anything?

Condoms Wink
Homer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed...condoms...better stock up on those too K-inC
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy bradley wrote:

what the hell? giving money to starving kids in ethiopia is supposed to be something you do in leiu of an extravagance, not a safety measure. i really don't know where you think you're going with this.
i mean, try to make me feel guilty about buying a dvd player while kids are starving (try all you like, you won't... muhuhahahaha!!!!!!) but don't shove that sh-- down my throat while i'm considering the purchase of something that will give me the peace of mind involved in knowing i'm probably not going to die of smoke inhalation in my burning apartment.
no pun intended, but for some reason that post really burned my cookies.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll accept fire safety in Korea the second you pry the fire in the center of my dinner table when I eat Sam Gyup Sal out of my cold dead hands!
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my building is new and there are smoke dectors however the last two teachers were smokers so there is no smoke dector in my apartment. Sprinklers are around as is the handy fire escape of a rope which reaches probably to floor 7 and I'm on the 11th floor Shocked . There is also a plastic gas mask if things get bad.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:

Funny you should mention this, I was just thinking the other day, that if i ever get a normal job in a huge arse highrise building - I am gonna have one of those puppies just in case. I will never forget watching on t.v as people jumped out of the World Trade Centre - that was horrific, and as a good girl guide, i intend to be prepared.

Also, KC - I want to get one, but haven't seen them anywhere - does anyone know where i can get one?
weened

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's funny you ask? I will tell you. Well, the fire alarm did go off in our school and the two Americans were the only teachers that marched their chilluns' out of the building. Talk about a pavlovian response (remember elementary school)? Someone had been smoking in the bathroom and with an adroit touch, threw the butt in the trash can, not the toilet. Anyway, the smoke that filled the hallways prompted a discussion of what to do the next time the alarm sounded. Results: it happened again and the diligent pavlovians marched their kids out the door and everybody else read the situation first, never leaving the classroom. BTW, it was nothing. But it coulda been, it coulda been...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: