Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How many years will living here take off your life???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many years will living in Korea take off your life???
0 - It doesn't matter where I live, I'm a beer swilling, tobacco maniac. I'm going to die young anyway.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
1-2 - The air is a little bit bad but in the grand scheme of things, its not so bad.
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
2-5 - Living here can be a problem, what with all the passive smoking and soju drinking I think I'm going to pay later on.
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
5+ - Living here is a health hazard. There should be big warning as you come into the airport, just as their are on cigarette packets.
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
What are you talking about. Living here will improve my life expectancy!! With all the kimchi how can I go wrong
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 19

just because

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: How many years will living here take off your life??? Reply with quote

I like living here but I wonder how it is going to affect my health down the track, especially if I put some 10 plus years here. What do you think?? My opinion is maybe 1 year off but a lot of extra experiences so it all pans out well for me in the end.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never put 10 years into living in Seoul. Especially if you've come from a place that's clean compared to Seoul.
Homer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah zyfer and that smoke you have stuck in your mouth won't shave any years off your life... Laughing
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering I was in Seoul for that picture, I'm royally shafted.

*dies*
rapier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zyzfer is that miserable, aloof, chain smoking image really the public face that you want to present to the world?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
zyzfer is that miserable, aloof, chain smoking image really the public face that you want to present to the world?

Sure. Better than doing like that one guy who told everyone on the board how he's cheating on his girl.
rapier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so. But they keep telling me I'm a handsome boy.
masuro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a small village (about 10 houses) in Gangwon Province and I expect it's good for my health. It's farm country so everything I eat I've either grown myself or bought at the local Nonghyeop. All the meat and vegetables I buy are local so I know they are fairly clean (except for the pesticides, of course. We don't use pesticides in our own garden) and not smog-flavoured like stuff from farms near Seoul or other big cities. The air and water are good where we live and there are plenty of places to walk. Our dogs are also happy since they aren't tied up and they can chase the mailman like good puppies should. Smile My hometown in Canada has a paper mill so the place I live in now is probably cleaner than there.
Cheers
helly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 32 years old. Was having coffee with a 63 y/o businessman this morning and he commented that I look older than 32. Intended as a compliment, I assume, but not sure how I take it (mature vs. weathered) (I guess I'll take it as a compliment)

Grew up in Seattle and will be heading back in 3 months time. Talking with my wife recently about houses/apartments, lifestyle, quality of life, etc. I had lots of exercise and generally active lifestyle in my younger years, plus I didn't smoke and drink like I do now. Also didn't live in a cramped 15 fl apartment with hardly any light.

I think I've forgotten what a good life can be like. Can't wait to get back to open skies and open land. A place where I can go for a walk with my baby boy without having to drive for an hour to get somewhere calm enough to walk.

To answer the question, I think I've added 5 years in addition to the actual 7 I've been here. That makes me 37. But I hope to be back down to 32 within a few months of return.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: