Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How easy are uni jobs to come by, are they really that good?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
Maybe they want to avoid the situation where a foreigner with the same credentials demands equal pay, or even tenure. That's my theory. But let's hear what the chicken has to say..

Although what The Lemon says is probably a factor sometimes, True or False, the three most common reasons I have been told are: (a) The Korean Ministry of Education and/or certain Universities limit the number of foreign PhD's that can be hired. Those positions are normally only for foreign teachers who teach in deartments such as Science, Medicine, Computors, etc. NOT English. They are also given the title "Invitational Scholar" (b) Native speakers with PhD's think they are superior to their coworkrs and cause departemental problems, and (c) Native PhD's are too hard on the students and fail too many.
Both (B) and (C) are FAR from the case with me. I know I am stupid (but pretty smart for a chicken Razz ) and I am WAY to easy on my students. I have been often told my grades are too high Rolling Eyes But then point (C) shows that many of those in charge are not familiar with the FL literature. Much research has shown both that native speakers are easier on their students and that the higher a teacher's degree, the easier he or she grades.
I think that point (A) might be true, at least to a degree. They tell me that this only applies to 4-year schools (i.e., Universities) and not to 2-year schools (i.e., colleges). My first 2 jobs were in colleges, and at my first job 2/3 of us had a PhD and at my second job 3/6 had a PhD. However, in checking information on websites about foreign English teachers at many of the top universities, I saw 0 PhD's. Usually only MA's.
Hope this helps, and if anyone else has any info., feel free to add it to this thread.
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, at both of my previous colleges many teachers who had come and gone before I started had a PhD. But, for example, I was told that Pusan National University (my second college was in Pusan) has never had a foreign PhD teaching in the English department. Not sure if it is true that they have never had one, but I know that for the 2 years I was in Pusan, none of the foreign English teachers at PNU had a PhD.
Kwangjuchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, before anyone asks why I am not teaching back in the USA, positions in our field (e.g., teaching in a MATESOL program) that require a PhD are few and far between. Maybe 3-5 a year for the entire country. And although PhD's in our field are not a dime a dozen, we are a quarter a dozen Shocked .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: