Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How bad is the air quality in the Seoul?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forrest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: How bad is the air quality in the Seoul? Reply with quote

I taught in Korea in 1998, but haven't been back since. Seems like now I am ready to take the plunge again. Over the last week, I was debating with myself whether to apply for a job in Seoul or Pusan.

I pretty much decided on Seoul for a number of reasons, but my only reservation revolves around the question of air-quality. Some research on the Internet revealed that Seoul's air-quality is worse than that of Mexico City. I was shocked to learn that.

Back in 1998, I was teaching in a small city a couple hours south of Pusan and only visited Seoul on two occasions, not enough to evaluate the air-quality there.

My Internet research also revealed that the water quality in Seoul is now up to the World Health Organization's standards, so I guess I don't have to worry about that, although I'm prepared to only cook and brush my teeth with bottled water, to be on the safe side.

If anyone can tell me about their personal experiences regarding the air pollution in Seoul, I would be rather grateful. I really don't want to sacrifice my health for the sake of some other benefits.
just because

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad...well compared to Australia.
Anyway, the major problem is in Spring when the sand from the Gobi Desert blows across and blankets Korea. Hope you like breathing in sand plus all the other crap that comes with it. Smile
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it sux that an home air-cleaner costs three times as much here.
Starperson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find that the air quality in Seoul is better than in 1998 due to people switching to clean fuels for heating instead of coals. I've found that the air quality is terrible in Summer, when the clouds block in the heat, dirt and humidity. Autumn's turning out to be a lot better. Depends where you're from.
Also there's lots of construction work all over the place, and the noise pollution's just as bad as the air.

Edit: But I wouldn't NOT come here because of these things. Also, passive smoking is a fact of life here.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse than Mexico City? Wow! That is surprising. The effects from air pollution seem to vary for each individual, sort of like allergies. I haven't felt it much except, as the other poster said, when the Gobi kicks up its yellow dust.
I don't think it's so bad that I would suggest not coming to Seoul, unless you are a very sensitive, allergic, sniffy-snuffly type.
funplanet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cough cough cough cough...
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't we done this already? It's bad, it's gross, it makes my asthma worse. But then people will say hey it's not as bad as big city XYZ and then I'll say I think it's bad but I lived in new zealand before I got here and think that you should be able to see mountains if they are less than an hour from your house on days when it's not foggy.

CLG
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, like CLG has said, plenty has been written on this topic. For plenty of commentary on the subject, do a search.

I'm sure you'll find the following comment by yours truly: "It isn't that bad for a city of 10 million people."
Homer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air quality in Seoul is bad. No one can dispute this.
However, like BBum said.."its not so bad for a city of over 10 million".
Its also in a country thats modernizing at break neck pace....not exactly enviro friendly conditions...
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True men inhale dirty air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't come to korea and then become the disgruntled korean ESL teacher. go to japan where you will be happy and never complain about anything. lol
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dAN wrote:
don't come to korea and then become the disgruntled korean ESL teacher. go to japan where you will be happy and never complain about anything. lol

Are you a sage or a soothsayer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know, but theres some problem with your caps lock key.

oh, and if you are trying to equate me to azn kids who tYpE lIkE sO, then I find that offensive and a little racist, so please stop, because I never once wrote anything remotely so brainless and to say that that's how all asians are is just a thinly veiled racial insult.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I did a search and found these threads

Seoul's polluted. But how badly?

Pollution

I can't see the stars.

I'm sure there are others.

CLG
Starperson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares if people have already discussed it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: