Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much do Koreans give? Charity?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratslash

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what?!? korea has charities?!?!?

the only people i give to are the blind people on the trains. no RNIB in korea. there is this one guy on line 2, costs me a fortune, but i don't mind.
philipjames

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin dude, never have a encountered a poster who I disagree with more fundamentally. Most people (all cultures) are particularly caring of
family, but what makes a human being decent is compassion for strangers. Whether its campaigning for greater social benefits for the needy or giving to charity, humanity must look beyond its own "inner circle" if it is to be moral. There are a thousand reasons why people fall into hardship, the least of which is character failure (whatever that means). Besides, great swaths of Koreans call themselves Christians, and looking out only after one's own inner circle is condemned in scripture. I'm not religious, but if I was I would pay heed to the story of the good samaritan, also Christ's admonition that even thieves and murderers help their friends. Christians (and millions of Koreans claim to be just that) are to treat strangers as brothers and sisters.

To me Austin, the most despicable people are those who feel no compassion for a stranger in need.

Koreans talk with great pride about being "one people"; they should put their money where there mouth is.

Any asshole can be kind to family. The truly decent person is kind to people they have never met.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin :
Quote:
[...]culturally they do not acknowledge nor recognize the existence of others outside of their innercircle. Trying to use some comparative numbers of developed nations with different cultural and family values is bogus, as nothing further can be accurately implied.

I think that trying to infer cultural and family values, and using that to deduce the effect of same on a society, is pretty much the point of the statistics. The cultural norms in Korea are as you describe them, Austin, but you fail to see the relevance of those norms and their effects on individuals in this society.

There's nothing wrong with looking around us and making comparisons between what we see in this country and what we see in others, including our own. Comparisons such as that lead to value judgments about how we want to live our own lives, and having been away from our own nests for an extended period of tme allows us a greater degree of objectivity and autonomy in making such judgements than would be true if we had stayed home ... and possibly a better basis than many of our Korean friends who have never lived outside of their own country.
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donate a lot of money to one bar in particularly. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: