Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best non-Korean restaurant in Seoul
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a good Russian restaurant in Seoul? With the sizable Russian population I figure there must be one somewhere but I've only seen "other" Russian establishments. In Busan I noticed some but not in Seoul. I need some pelmeni and borsch.

I still would like to know where Ipanema is also.
CanKorea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the only one that I've been to so far is TGI Friday's. Not too bad though a little frenetic service wise. Lots of birthday singing going on.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in Itaewon, the Nashville basement has the best pork chops, burgers and steaks prepared by a French chef at a pretty reasonable price. Plus, you can watch movies on their giant screen TV while you eat. Gotta love it.
RedRob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 3 alleys bar Itaewon, a Meat pie, mushy peas , and mashed spud with gravy, a bit dear but a real treat. The beer is pretty good too.

At home I eat about 8/9 pies a week, so I really miss 'em.

Mmmmmm.....Meat Pies.
Sejong

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as Italian goes, there are actually quite a few decent restaurants around town... but head and shoulders above the rest is "Wood & Brick" in Gwanghwamun. Just phenomenal quality and service. And not that expensive, either. They also have a location in Hongdae, but I've never been.

The Puffin Cafe in Hannam-dong (on the way to Haddon House) does awesome breakfasts with the sole exception of the Spam(tm) masquerading as ham.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pelmeni? Go to little russia/little mongolia in dongdaemun. all the mutton and borscht you can shake a stick at. It's a neighbourhood, not a restaurant. Pretty wild place sometimes. Go out the main doors of Freya Town and down the side street for two blocks over the main road.
Tobacco Fiend

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Best non-Korean restaurant in Seoul Reply with quote

K-in-C wrote:
Tobacco Fiend wrote:
Friends,

What's the best non-Korean restaurant in Seoul?

For my money, it's pretty hard to beat Ipanema for lunch.

This is the only Brazilian restaurant in Korea. Lunch will set you back 16,000 won, which sounds obscene, I know, but it's essentially all you can eat. Salad bar, selection of soups, Japanese noodles, endless offerings of charbroiled beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, followed up by ice-cream, fruit, and coffee . . .

Make this the main meal of your day and you will not be hurting!

Tobacco Fiend

Location please, subway line colour and all?

Hungry Kate hurrying to Seoul asap. Smile

Edited once. Rolling Eyes

Hungry Kate:

Ipanema is midway between Seodaemun subway station and Gwanghwamun subway station.

Take exit number five when leaving Seodaemun station (line five, the blue line). You'll walk past a Starbucks and a Lotteria. When you reach the intersection with a prominent McDonalds on the opposite side (and a Star Six cinema beside it), DO NOT cross the street. Instead, hang a right, and keep walking. In a couple hundred meters, on this side of the street, you will find Ipanema.

If you've got a Lonely Planet Seoul, I think that should get you there too. Probably with clearer directions than mine.

Make sure you go between 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM for lunch. They shut down between two PM and five or six, I think, when dinner starts up. Dinner will set you back twice as much as lunch, but it's exactly the same smorgasbord on offer.

If you see a short guy in a suit and funny-looking glasses who reeks of tobacco smoke, that's me. Don't forget to say hello.

Tobacco Fiend
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best non-Korean restaurant in Seoul Reply with quote

Tobacco Fiend wrote:
Ipanema is midway between Seodaemun subway station and Gwanghwamun subway station.

Take exit number five when leaving Seodaemun station (line five, the blue line). You'll walk past a Starbucks and a Lotteria. When you reach the intersection with a prominent McDonalds on the opposite side (and a Star Six cinema beside it)

Does the NANTA troope still have a permanent theater in the Star Six cinema?
If so, dinner at Ipenema then catching a NANTA show would make for an unforgettable evening.

[I'm just skimming this thread- did anyone mention that you really really really have to love meat to get the most out of Ipanema? DON'T bring your vegetarian friends- they'll probably be grossed out by all the servers walking around with huge skewers of meat.]
weened

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i have to second the Paris Grill in the Hyatt. After that is the indian place in the art gallery (can not EVER remember the name of the place). Third, to my heart's horror, is BK.
TECO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the HYATT!

Nice breakfasts.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Hilton's Sunday Brunch buffet, downstairs in the bar- string quartet, omelet chef, fresh squeezed juices, prime rib...
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pho hoa, good vietnamese style noodles...
K-in-C

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Best non-Korean restaurant in Seoul Reply with quote

[quote="Tobacco Fiend"][quote="K-in-C"]
Tobacco Fiend wrote:

If you see a short guy in a suit and funny-looking glasses who reeks of tobacco smoke, that's me. Don't forget to say hello. Tobacco Fiend

Thanks! Are they open on Sundays?

And, if I smell you, I'll be sure to say hello. Smile Wink

K-in-C
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to that Russian area on Saturday. I saw one Russian restaurant, one Mongolian restaurant and a whole slew of Korean restaurants with Russian writing on them and only Korean fare. (Sign on the Cafe Russia advertising only three meals: Ramyon, Ddeokbeoki, Mandu). Do you know of a specific restaurant PS? The one I saw only had 3 tables and they were taken so I didn't get my bowl of borsch that I was so looking forward to. Sad
helly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Saint Ex in Itaewon. Limited menu but I've never had a bad meal there.

Ganga and Dal are both excellent Indian places

Istanbul in Dongbu Ichon Dong for Turkish, not Merhaba

Wood & Brick is excellent

La Cucina, near the Hyatt, has good Italian food.

French bistro (can't remember the name) on the hill up to the Hyatt has a nice steak
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: