Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best non-Korean restaurant in Seoul
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indytrucks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Memories" in Itaewon is awesome if you like German sausages, potatoes, saurkraut, imported beer and wines, blah blah. The food there is amazing.

There are some great Japanese restaurants in Myong-dong. I think someone already mentioned them. Shabu shabu bonanza.

In Chongno there is that Vietnamese Pho Noodle place. Really yummy.
dulcineadeltoboso

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about places that are just really good (doesn't have to be the best in Seoul) for under 10,000 for lunch and under 15,000 for dinner? A few have been named so far; can you think of any others? Directions would be helpful, too.
Sejong

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skywalker26 wrote:
Uno Chicago Bar and Grill and COEX is pretty decent.

Great burgers and pizzas if thats what you like.

I really like the pizzas there, but I gotta take issue on the burgers -- last time I was there I had to send back the bacon and cheese burger because both the burger and the bacon were barely cooked and the whole thing was so cold that the processed cheese wasn't even slightly melted. And I'm not a vocal complainer, so food's gotta be pretty bad for me to send it back.

The worst thing was, after 20 minutes, they brought out a new one EXACTLY like the first. At that point I paid for my drinks and left. Rolling Eyes
danyuk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chakra in Hanam-dong by far. The only decent Indian that actually tastes like home. For a moment there I thought i was in the east-end (LONDON).

Only the Nan bread is slightly diff. The rip-off ones in Itaewon are so bad; meat on the bone and watery sauce. Dont even bother.
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashimaro wrote:
In my oh so humble opinion this thread should be a sticky
Well here's some info I dug up out of the archives.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=6557&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
hjkorea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: some places i like Reply with quote

someone mentioned the indian restaurant in the art gallery but couldn't remember the name. i think they are talking about "dal" in art sonje in insadong. http://www.artsonje.org/new_eng/ the food and setting are very nice but it is a bit pricey, although i think it's comparable to "ganga" in apgujeong. they also have a private room that you can reserve.

does anyone have any opinions about the semi-new indian restaurant called "new delhi"? it's located in itaewon, but it's closer to the noksapyeong subway station directly across from the other indian place "shankranthi"? i walk by frequently and for the longest time there were never any customers. lately, i have beeing seeing some tables with diners. for some reason, i am hesitant to try it out.

i found an italian place in daehongno (대학로) that i like. in my opinion, the pizza is much better than "la tavola" in itaewon. take subway line 4 and get off at hyehwa (혜화) station. you have to use the subway exit that will put you closest to that park. walk straight out of the exit, go past the park, make a left on the street after the park. walk straight for about 4 minutes. it's called "di matteo". they have all kinds of pizza that is baked in a brick oven and also pasta dishes. yum! here is a website for those of you that can read korean: http://www.orio.net/tast/dimatteo.htm
it actually has a picture of my favorite pizza, the "special pizza"...i am just drooling at the site of it.

last but not least, for all of the sushi enthusiasts....sushi hiroba rocks! http://www.sushihiroba.co.kr/ it's a rotating sushi bar that is pretty packed most nights of the week. it's almost exactly like the ones i've been to in tokyo. definitely worth checking out if your pocketbook can handle the strain. dinner for two with sake included can set you back around 70,000~80,000 won. i usually go to the one in cheongdam dong (청담)...subway line 7, use exit number 6 and walk for about 300 meters. it's a bit of a hike but worth it.

Last edited by hjkorea on Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:07 am; edited 3 times in total
osangrl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Too dark for a venue and too many dumd GI's.

ooops...sorry did i forget to say that.....the atmosphere is so wonderful...you can drool and eat all at the same time. Yummy G.I's....gods gift to women.
the saint

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danyuk wrote:
Chakra in Hanam-dong by far. The only decent Indian that actually tastes like home. For a moment there I thought i was in the east-end (LONDON).

Only the Nan bread is slightly diff. The rip-off ones in Itaewon are so bad; meat on the bone and watery sauce. Dont even bother.

We went to Chakraa in Haebanchon the other night - just up the hill from the kimchi pots outside Yongsan on the right. We had thalis and they were really authentic and only W9000 each for a set. They do takeaway stuff too.
Tobacco Fiend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey friends,

I'm no longer an Ipanema junkie.

Turns out that THE place in Seoul with mouth-watering, top-of-the-line steaks is HOLLYWOOD GRILL in Itaewon.

Nope, they're not giving me as much as a thousand-won kickback to post this here. Wish they were!

Forget Outback.

Forget Ipanema.

Hollywood Grill serves up a New York steak TO DIE FOR, and with all the trimmings, AND with a glass of Chilean red, all for a price of 20,000 won, give or take a few (depending upon your order).

Expect to see us in Hollywood Grill. Expect to see us there many, many times before the summer is out.

HOLLYWOOD ROCKS!

Tobacco Fiend
Swiss James

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get proper wood oven pizzas in Hongdae, the best I've had in Seoul in fact. Can't remember exactly what the name is but I'm pretty sure the name means "The Three Bells" in Italina "La Tre Cantinas" or something.

Anyway if you find the Seokyo hotel- 100 yards to the left of Hong-Ik exit 6, walk through the hotel to the street behind it, turn right and walk for about 3 minutes.
20,000 for a big pizza- includes a salad and some flat bread as a starter.
Toby

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

osangrl wrote:
Quote:
Too dark for a venue and too many dumd GI's.

ooops...sorry did i forget to say that.....the atmosphere is so wonderful...you can drool and eat all at the same time. Yummy G.I's....gods gift to women.

You are a very sick woman. You need help.
Not Angry

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Italian Rest. In seoul is deffinetly Anna Binni, In Apkujeong up the hill not far from California Fitness. It is fantastic. La Tovola and La Volpia don't hold a candle to it. It is quite a bit more expensive but they have an outdoor garden setting which makes it great for a date. Plan on about 30,000 per person. But oh so worth it. Did I mention the wide selection of delicious breads? I think I have to go there for lunch now....
Zed

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Angry wrote:
Best Italian Rest. In seoul is deffinetly Anna Binni, In Apkujeong up the hill not far from California Fitness. It is fantastic. La Tovola and La Volpia don't hold a candle to it. It is quite a bit more expensive but they have an outdoor garden setting which makes it great for a date. Plan on about 30,000 per person. But oh so worth it. Did I mention the wide selection of delicious breads? I think I have to go there for lunch now....
Do you usually need a reservation?
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sejong wrote:

I really like the pizzas there, but I gotta take issue on the burgers -- last time I was there I had to send back the bacon and cheese burger because both the burger and the bacon were barely cooked and the whole thing was so cold that the processed cheese wasn't even slightly melted. And I'm not a vocal complainer, so food's gotta be pretty bad for me to send it back.

Rolling Eyes

The undercooked bacon happened to me 2 weeks ago also. It looks like they just put the bacon in the microwave for 20 seconds. A real cheeseburger needs real cheese. I prefer the TGI Friday bacon cheeseburger.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
peppermint

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of the new Greek place, behind the Hamilton in Itaewon. It's called Santorini, and it's above BricX. It's not just good for Korea- it's just plain good! You'd need reservations on the weekends, but well worth it.

Oh and girls- the wait staff is pretty hot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: