Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannabis drug test unavailable in Korea, but is new E2 law
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sojourner1



Joined: 17 Apr 2007
Location: Where meggi swim and 2 wheeled tractors go sput put chug alugg pug pug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Cannabis drug test unavailable in Korea, but is new E2 law Reply with quote

How are you getting your newly required drug tests in Korea?

I am still trying to get my drug test that includes testing for marijuana/cannabis. Korean drug tests only tests for amphetamines and are rarely used, but the new E-2 laws state specifically that it has to include marijuana. Korean hospitals are not equipped for cannabis drug testing like the ministry of immigration and justice are now requiring foreign English teachers to have done.

I need this test to get a teaching job through EPIK as my recruiter is requesting it at this time. If I go home to get the test in order to land the job, how am I able to get a cannabis test when I return to Korea and need my new alien resident card to stay? Yes, the new E-2 laws state that you must get a medical exam including a cannabis drug test to get your ARC or be deported.

I also found that that Korea does not require these tests for company and government workers (gang moo won). I was told to get a gang moo won medical exam, but with AIDS and cannabis drug test added. I am confusing the hell out of Korean hospital staff at a half dozen hospitals by requesting this and I have a Korean friend helping me with this and still can't pull it off as they don't know what cannabis is or anything about these new E-2 visa laws. Nothing is being reported through Korean media sources telling Koreans anything about new E-2 visa laws, according to my Korean friends and hagwon director. I guess they don't want Koreans to panic about the coming shortage of English teachers.

The only cannabis drug test I know of in Korea is in Seoul if the police take you in on suspicion.

I must add that I am angered with the Korean system at this point, because this makes it where if I did get the job and came over, I would not be able to get the necessary drug test, thus, forcing me to be deported at the end of the third month. This appears to be the broken part of the new E-2 visa system that makes it nearly impossible for me to teach in Korea due to some jackass in Seoul engineering these new laws knowing that the required type of drug tests may not be available in Korea.

And plan B is looking better more and more....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Octavius Hite



Joined: 28 Jan 2004
Location: Househunting, looking for a new bunker from which to convert the world to homosexuality.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiK

or put another way:


Korea Sparkling!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agoodmouse



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Location: Anyang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is because, according to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, there are no marijuana smokers in Korea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
huffdaddy



Joined: 25 Nov 2005

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cannabis drug test unavailable in Korea, but is new E2 l Reply with quote

sojourner1 wrote:
How are you getting your newly required drug tests in Korea?


I got all three tests - HIV, TPBE, and Cannabinoide - done at my local hospital. Either that, or they just wrote down the test names and "negative" for the results.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sojourner1



Joined: 17 Apr 2007
Location: Where meggi swim and 2 wheeled tractors go sput put chug alugg pug pug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cannabis drug test unavailable in Korea, but is new E2 l Reply with quote

huffdaddy wrote:
sojourner1 wrote:
How are you getting your newly required drug tests in Korea?


I got all three tests - HIV, TPBE, and Cannabinoide - done at my local hospital. Either that, or they just wrote down the test names and "negative" for the results.


Where are you? Are you in Seoul?

No one in the Changwon area tests for cannabis smoking that I know of or can find.

It could help if I get, "Cannabis test," translated into Korean as none of the Koreans I've spoken with know what this is or ever heard of it. They only know of the amphetamine test. They were all questioning me why I would want such tests so I explained and they called EPIK, but are still confused as they just simply don't know what a cannabis test is. In a way, this is funny, but it angers me since it means I can't teach in Korea.

Also, the standard public officer (gong moo won) medical exam does not include HIV, but a hospital can add that for extra cost.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hogwonguy1979



Joined: 22 Dec 2003
Location: the racoon den

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Int Clinic of Seoul Asan Hospital today for another matter and was asking the dr about this. he said there have been others who have come in asking for this, they can take the test but have to send out somewhere else for the results which will take a week or so.

now will immigration believe their source. I cant believe a major hospital like Asan cant do this testing in house given they have an emergency room etc. this is no mom and pop hospital this is where the USFK send people
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
huffdaddy



Joined: 25 Nov 2005

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cannabis drug test unavailable in Korea, but is new E2 l Reply with quote

sojourner1 wrote:
huffdaddy wrote:
sojourner1 wrote:
How are you getting your newly required drug tests in Korea?


I got all three tests - HIV, TPBE, and Cannabinoide - done at my local hospital. Either that, or they just wrote down the test names and "negative" for the results.


Where are you? Are you in Seoul?


Incheon.

The nurses had never heard of the tests, but they looked them up in one of their books. Nothing was written in Korean or even Hangul. I believe the books they use are in English. As hogwonguy said, they had to send out for the tests. Took about a week.

Either that, or they just wrote down the test names I gave them and wrote "negative" next to each of them. Works for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PGF



Joined: 27 Nov 2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cannabis drug test unavailable in Korea, but is new E2 l Reply with quote

huffdaddy wrote:
sojourner1 wrote:
huffdaddy wrote:
sojourner1 wrote:
How are you getting your newly required drug tests in Korea?


I got all three tests - HIV, TPBE, and Cannabinoide - done at my local hospital. Either that, or they just wrote down the test names and "negative" for the results.


Where are you? Are you in Seoul?


Incheon.

The nurses had never heard of the tests, but they looked them up in one of their books. Nothing was written in Korean or even Hangul. I believe the books they use are in English. As hogwonguy said, they had to send out for the tests. Took about a week.

Either that, or they just wrote down the test names I gave them and wrote "negative" next to each of them. Works for me.


hospital name in incheon for all my friends who are going to have to get the tests done.......

thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
huffdaddy



Joined: 25 Nov 2005

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Cannabis drug test unavailable in Korea, but is new E2 l Reply with quote

PGF wrote:

hospital name in incheon for all my friends who are going to have to get the tests done.......

thanks


연수병원 - Yeonsu Hospital

It's right by Seonhak Station on the Incheon line. From the SW exit head south. Turn right at the first major intersection (about 1 block). Then turn right again at the next street.

W50,000 for physical, chest X-ray, and tests.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PGF



Joined: 27 Nov 2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cannabis drug test unavailable in Korea, but is new E2 l Reply with quote

huffdaddy wrote:
PGF wrote:

hospital name in incheon for all my friends who are going to have to get the tests done.......

thanks


연수병원 - Yeonsu Hospital

It's right by Seonhak Station on the Incheon line. From the SW exit head south. Turn right at the first major intersection (about 1 block). Then turn right again at the next street.

W50,000 for physical, chest X-ray, and tests.


next to Lotte Mart-ah? thanks man
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
huffdaddy



Joined: 25 Nov 2005

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cannabis drug test unavailable in Korea, but is new E2 l Reply with quote

PGF wrote:
huffdaddy wrote:
PGF wrote:

hospital name in incheon for all my friends who are going to have to get the tests done.......

thanks


연수병원 - Yeonsu Hospital

It's right by Seonhak Station on the Incheon line. From the SW exit head south. Turn right at the first major intersection (about 1 block). Then turn right again at the next street.

W50,000 for physical, chest X-ray, and tests.


next to Lotte Mart-ah? thanks man


Well, not really. But I guess it depends on your definition of "next to."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TheChickenLover



Joined: 17 Dec 2007
Location: The Chicken Coop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't rocket science. Go to the doctor you normally see when you are ill (if he can speak English) & explain your circumstance. He'll just print out a form & check you off as clean. Noone will know the difference, it's what the locals do and is very common practice for getting a job here. Doctor's know very well what employers don't want to see. I had my "health" check done once in 3 minutes will a full clean bill of health. When in Rome.....do as the locals do.

End of story

Chicken
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bibbitybop



Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard is it to do a piss test? It's called ordering dipsticks and putting them in urine to see if it turns a certain color.


I'm waiting to hear stories of teachers who come to work and don't do their research or smoke pot before leaving. They can wait 90 days to submit the med check and get the pot out of their system, which btw is the way it should be as teachers shouldn't be penalized by Korean immigration for having cannabinoids in their system 30 days after arriving if they smoked in another country. But if for some reason there is doubt, the hogwan director's doctor will be simply get some extra money to write "all clear" on the med check form.

And the Korean government will still not do anything to punish hogwans or regulate them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Al Khidr



Joined: 27 Nov 2007

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if they would only add soju to the list of tests and included Korean teachers, you'd see a million-man army of protesting Korean teachers with red head scarves. Either that or the usual bribe money for getting things done would go up a few bills. Come to think of it, cigarettes perhaps should be included, since teachers were not supposed to smoke anywhere beyond the smoking lounge at the middle school I once worked at, though teachers smoked everywhere as they screamed at the boys not to smoke. My first university also had a smoking ban, though professors and male students smoked and spat their tobacco-laden spit freely in the halls and on the steps of every building. Yeah, like all these changes are in place to protect Korea's tender young... Run and get your foreign infection tests...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuperHero



Joined: 10 Dec 2003
Location: Superhero Hideout

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bibbitybop wrote:
They can wait 90 days to submit the med check and get the pot out of their system, which btw is the way it should be as teachers shouldn't be penalized by Korean immigration for having cannabinoids in their system 30 days after arriving if they smoked in another country.

why not? Koreans have gone to jail for smoking up in another country?'

stupid but true.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International