Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannabis drug test unavailable in Korea, but is new E2 law
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperHero wrote:
Bibbitybop wrote:
They can wait 90 days to submit the med check and get the pot out of their system, which btw is the way it should be as teachers shouldn't be penalized by Korean immigration for having cannabinoids in their system 30 days after arriving if they smoked in another country.

why not? Koreans have gone to jail for smoking up in another country?'

stupid but true.

hes right i remember the story about a korean who wrote in a blog about lighting up in amsterdam and was busted for it. think a hair test can show it for as long as 6 months
Bibbitybop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hogwonguy1979 wrote:
SuperHero wrote:
Bibbitybop wrote:
They can wait 90 days to submit the med check and get the pot out of their system, which btw is the way it should be as teachers shouldn't be penalized by Korean immigration for having cannabinoids in their system 30 days after arriving if they smoked in another country.

why not? Koreans have gone to jail for smoking up in another country?'

stupid but true.

hes right i remember the story about a korean who wrote in a blog about lighting up in amsterdam and was busted for it. think a hair test can show it for as long as 6 months

Though I disagree with the Korean law, it states that Koreans should not smoke marijuana, even in another country and it is punishable after the fact. How they find out, who knows?

The fact is that Koreans are subject to this Korean law and foreigners are not. On the Seoul Police snitch board, a question was asked awhile back about the after-the-fact laws for foreigners. The police said as long as the foreigner didn't break Korean law and didn't smoke marijuana in Korea, they wouldn't arrest or prosecute those foreigners. Also, from accounts of getting tested and busted in Korea, foreigners have stated that the Korean courts take into account how long the foreigner has been in Korea if tested positive for marijuana in their system. If the foreigner was out of the country a few weeks before and it is reasonable that they smoked in another country, the courts consider this fact and won't prosecute a foreigner for breaking another country's law.

Furthermore, Korea shouldn't be concerned with foreigners testing positive for marijuana is smoked in another country because the foreigner is not a threat at all to other people or him/herself by simply having cannabinoids in their system. It's a whole other issue, but people shouldn't be afraid of pot smokers unless they high at the time while driving, operating heavy machinery, etc.

Also, hair tests will show marijuana use for the life of the hair. 3 year old hair would show marijuana use.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could sell my urine to those who need to submit a clean sample. Laughing Piss for sale!
pharflung

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that the reason drug testing for cannabis is not available in Korea is because cannabis is not generally available, either?
sojourner1

Location: Where meggi swim and 2 wheeled tractors go sput put chug alugg pug pug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pharflung wrote:
Could it be that the reason drug testing for cannabis is not available in Korea is because cannabis is not generally available, either?

Yes, that is correct. The problem is requiring foreigners to get the test that is not widely available in Korea if applying for a job while in Korea and then shortly after arrival in Korea to get their ARC's. You can get a drug test in your home country and secure a job in Korea, but if you don't get another test after arriving in Korea, then you face deportation. This presents a serious failure in the new system unless they fix this flaw.
soju pizza

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MODS! Make this a sticky!
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheChickenLover wrote:
This isn't rocket science. Go to the doctor you normally see when you are ill

Define "normally go to". I've seen a Korean doctor all of once in 12 years. And even then I was unconscious for most of it.
TDR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if you asked for a test for "cannabis" they might not understand. The proper test is a test for "cannabinoids". In Korean, it is "카니비노이드". You also need a test for TBPE which is for amphetamines. Before anyone tells me that TBPE actually means a test for Tuberculosis, the acronym can actually stand for both kinds of medical tests. Even after doing my own research, I was confused. After talking to the RN that I deal with here in Busan, I think I've got it.

Even though I'm re-upping my contract and don't need to do it, I went and got my medical check-up done today because I think it's a good idea to have one done each year. As well, just to be sure, I brought the information (written in Korean) from the Busan Education Program which pertains to the necessities for the medical check up. On the line for drug tests it says:

마약류 검사 결과: TBPE검사 및 카니비노이드 검사

which translates to:

Narcotic order/class test: TBPE test and Cannabinoids test

My point being that it's requested by the Busan Board of Education as being part of the narcotic portion of the required check.

Anyway, I got mine done at Dong-Eui Medical Centre in Busan. They have an English speaking nurse there who will help you through any tests you need. I have dealt with her many times and she's always been absolutely wonderful. They do all the tests that you might need but, of course, you've got to pay for them. It is 30 000 won for the standard medical check up. And for the two drug tests they charged me 24 312 won. I also asked for an HIV test, which apparently is not an extra charge. When you go for your medical check you should bring two passport sized photos and your Alien Card with you.

In Busan, the directions are below:

The international medical clinic is at Dong-Eui Medical Center. You go to the Yangjeong stop on line one and go out exit number 4. Right beside the exit on the corner (possibly right behind the exit) is a shuttle bus stop which, for 650won, will take you right up to the Medical Center. I believe the sign is white and blue, as opposed to the normal bus stop signs which are light blue and yellow. You could walk to the Medical Center, but the hill is huge and unless you're into pain, you'll curse your life if you do.

If you walk into the medical center, look to the right side of the lobby and there are a pair of glass double doors which a small sign to the left of them that say "International Medical Clinic". There are some couches and a TV inside. Go in and there is an RN who speaks English who will help you with anything you need and take you around the hospital and translate anything you need help with. She's there from 9-5, Monday to Friday. If she's not there when you get there, read a magazine and she'll be along shortly. For English speaking patients who want to set up an appointment: 051-863-7892. If they don't answer, they might be helping someone else. Try back in a few minutes.

A map can be found here:
<http://www.dongeui-med.or.kr/english/english_04.htm>

Information can be found here:
<http://www.dongeui-med.or.kr/english/english_01.htm>

Best of luck!

-TDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: