Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rave scene seoul
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l0ckx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: rave scene seoul Reply with quote

is there a scene in seoul, pusan, or daegu? I'm not looking for the drug scene. Just wonderin if there are any good weeklies or bi-weeklies to get my dance on.

peace,
l0ckx
Butterfly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: rave scene seoul Reply with quote

when you say 'rave' what exactly do you mean?

Do you mean a load of cheezie quavers in a tent in the middle of nowhere with whistles and glo-sticks or do you mean clubs that play house and techno etc? If its the latter just do a search with key words 'clubs' 'techno' etc. Lots of recent posts on the topic.

Alternatively just go to

http://www.02pro.com

Have a nice time.
indytrucks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: rave scene seoul Reply with quote

Butterfly wrote:
when you say 'rave' what exactly do you mean?

Do you mean a load of cheezie quavers in a tent in the middle of nowhere with whistles and glo-sticks

You forgot the lollipops and golf visor turned backwards and upside down. Wink
l0ckx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mean a good trance or house party. I can tollerate candy kids as long as their not in the cornor tarted out on E...

and while the list is growing...you guys forgot the pacifiers, backpacks, and rainbow brite shirts!!!

peace,
l0ckx
jaebea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leg warmers, arm warmers, fuzzy hair ties, pigtails, glitter on the face, heavy makeup, glow rings, glow sticks, glow anything, and egged to their eyeballs.

I'm really keen on what the vibe on these big trance events would be like. Not really into the house, but dead set keen on progressive and uplifting trance, and some harder stuff.

Clicked on the link above and they had some good DJ's out there, like Johan Gielen and Ferry Corsten. I saw a video of Johan playing at Trance Energy 2002, and he just rips it up from start to finish.

It's great to see Koreans dancing.. without a circle.

To be honest as well, I'm not a fan of the funny coloured pills. Not to mention the stupid amounts of sh-t you'd get into in a country like Korea, but the whole mind bending phase is behind me. I tend to have a lot of fun straight as an arrow but dancing my legs off.

Looking forward to exploring this scene in depth.

jae.
just because

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at he Johan Geilen rave and I remember posting about it on another site and got told off because he is too commercial. i thought he kicked some butt too. What i do occasionally is hop over to japan for the weekend and go trance raving there. For some reason the Japanese love trance(which I do too) but the Koreans are more into happy hardcore (which is Ok, just not as good).
However, every 2 or 3 months a really good trance act comes through but if you just want dance go to Shinchon or Hongdae.
saharzie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by happy hardcore? Speeded up hip hop breaks and chipmunk vocals?
On New Years Eve the man like Carl Cox will be hitting town...oh yes...
There seems to be a good quality of guests coming over (Derrick May and Kevin Saunderson to name just two)..keep an eye out on that site Butterfly mentioned...
just because

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by happy hardcore? Speeded up hip hop breaks and chipmunk vocals?

Pretty much thats what it is.
danyuk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Rave' was a term devised y the British Gov't in 1988 and not one appreciated by anyone close to the scene. Look it up in the dictionary; its darrogatory to all who love E and dancing.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because wrote:
I was at he Johan Geilen rave and I remember posting about it on another site and got told off because he is too commercial.

Well I dont really care if something is commercial but I just dont understand how anyone could have thought that night was good. Was it you I discussed this with on another thread? Talked about the t-shirt throwing, his face everywhere etc.

BUT, more to the point, I thought he over-used the kickouts, music kinda stayed on the surface, didn't get deep enough to make the kickouts really lift you and mean something, this combined with his use of a lot of really commercial music that surely everyone had heard before, made it a pretty frustrating night for me. Do you know what I mean? I just don't
think there is anything that Gielan can do that your average DJ these days cant, I heard much better Korean DJ's in Hongdae IMHO. I was pretty disappointed anyway, because I love that hotel, it's such a cool place. I guess its not what you know..

There is a good lesson there though, that it pays to promote yourself.

Techno for the masses or the emporers new clothes...?
jaebea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy hardcore isn't really hip hop.

Just very high bpm, thumping bass, catchy melody with a extended breaks bit in the middle. Tie in with chipmunk vocals.

Imagine a hard eurodance song, sped up .... :)

If you're interested, Ramirez - Baraonda is a great example of a HH song.

I also liked Brisk & Trixxy - Eyeopener.

Very catchy, and just aggro enough to get you in a good mood, without feeling the need to break things. :)

As for DJ'ing, Australia has some great hard trance DJ's and I think you should keep an eye on this space for some good mixes.

If people are interested in mp3's feel free to ask, and I'll rip my CD's and upload for all to enjoy. Lots of hard trance and a fair bit of progressive trance.

jae.
l0ckx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaebae, you really summed up hhc. Exactly what it is. From my experiences it tends to attract more of the candy kids / etards, however i can always dance to a good Dune track. Starchild Smile Those of you from canada, i'm sure you've heard of hullaboo. The biggest happy hardcore rave of the year...a massive, i think in Toronto??? Never been there so not quite sure where it is.

Also, like i said, i don't mind candy kids, but from what i have seen, candy kids tend to be a lot different from region to region (of the states). East Coast candy kids to me i can usually handle and sometimes have a half decent head. West Coast candy kids seen to be into the scene because of the drugs. And from what i've heard, candy kids in japan are just annoying!

I'm very happy to see others involved in the scene Smile Let it never die! Razz
just because

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfly says:
Quote:
Was it you I discussed this with on another thread?

Yes, it was. I enjoyed the night very much(besides the icescapades promom in the niddle where they played Rammstein, what was that!!!!) because down here in the deep south about the best techno there is, is Koyote. After living here for 2 years straight(with the occasional side trip to Japan) I loved it.
It was very commercial, but who cares. i love singing along to songs I know(and like).
Quote:
I thought he over-used the kickouts, music kinda stayed on the surface, didn't get deep enough to make the kickouts really lift you and mean something

I agree with this. I love a set that will go for ages and gradually build to up to a kick ass second half. Still had a good night though.

Quote:
If people are interested in mp3's feel free to ask, and I'll rip my CD's and upload for all to enjoy. Lots of hard trance and a fair bit of progressive trance.

Definantly. Also, Jaebae, do you know BexTa. i just love here style of music
jaebea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Bexta is a huge local DJ, not to mention pretty cute to boot.

She's got a great eye for reading the crowd and can lay down a track on the fly. I've seen her mix up close at events on @ Home, and she's friendly to boot.

Other great locals are Nik Fish and Amber Savage. I don't care what people say about how commercial Nik Fish is or whatever, this guy is clearly the best in the country when it comes to mixing up hard trance. If being commercial means that he mixes up popular tracks, guilty as charged. But if a good DJ is someone who can lay down tracks, mix them up and work the crowd, then Nik Fish is a certifiable genius.

Anyhoo, I'm trying to get my hands on some old Bexta stuff, I have a whole lot of her gear around the place, I'll try and upload onto a fast provider.

Do people have preferences as to what sort of music I should upload first?

jae.
just because

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaebea,
Whatever you want to put up is cool. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: