Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Korean Language Question And Answer Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
javis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Great thread! Reply with quote

eikztot wrote:
"미사용으로 비활성화된 계정은 차단일로부터 3개월후 DB에서 모든 데이터를 삭제합니다.
자신의 과거 데이터가 모두 삭제되었다면 다시 가입이 가능하고 이전의 계정으로 인해 불이익을 받지 않습니다. (단, 레이쇼가 최소 1.0이상일 경우)
가입일로 부터 4주동안 업로드,다운로드 기록이 없는 계정은 미사용 계정으로 판단하고 시스템에서 자동 차단합니다."

The bottom line is that your account was blocked and closed due to inactivity.

Here's the full message:

We delete all data of inactive accounts from the database 3 months from the date that they are blocked.
If all its the past data has been deleted when you rejoin, you get no disadvantage due to your previous account. (only in cases with a ratio of atleast 1.0)
We decide that accounts with no record of uploads or downloads for 4 weeks after their date of creation are inactive and block them automatically from the system.
eikztot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It finally make sense, I also receive another message from a Chinese site that they are also wiping their database from inactive and banned account, (this time) their admin translated the message from us when a member made a thread because translating Chinese on Google sucks also. kamsahamnida!
Drew345

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always seem to get tripped up by the verbs:
인기 있다
무섭다

If I want to say, "I am afraid of spiders", is this right?
저는 거미가 무서워요

If I want to say, "Bears are not afraid of people", how's this:
곰은 사람이 무섭지 않아요.
or
곰이 사람을 무섭지 않아요.

If I want to say, "Young people are interested in Psy." how about:
젊은사람은 싸이가 인기가 만아요

How about , "I am not interested in young people"?
저는 젊은사람이 인기가 없어요.
Would that mean "I am not interested in young people"? , or "Young people are not interested in me"?

How about this case; I am with someone who gets 10 phone calls an hour. I want to say, "Wow, you are popular"
당신이 인기가 많군요!

As a side note, I know that 당신 is not really socially acceptable. How would I phase that last statement without the 당신.

Thanks,
nate1983

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew345 wrote:

If I want to say, "Bears are not afraid of people", how's this:
곰은 사람이 무섭지 않아요.

Okay.

Quote:

or
곰이 사람을 무섭지 않아요.

No. 무섭다 is not actually a verb, neither is 있다. You can use 무서워하다 there.

Quote:

If I want to say, "Young people are interested in Psy." how about:
젊은사람은 싸이가 인기가 만아요

How about , "I am not interested in young people"?
저는 젊은사람이 인기가 없어요.
Would that mean "I am not interested in young people"? , or "Young people are not interested in me"?

인기 does not mean "interest" - the proper word is 관심.

"젊은이들은 싸이에 관심이 있다."

"저는 젊은이들에 관심이 없다."
nate1983

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew345 wrote:

How about this case; I am with someone who gets 10 phone calls an hour. I want to say, "Wow, you are popular"
당신이 인기가 많군요!

As a side note, I know that 당신 is not really socially acceptable. How would I phase that last statement without the 당신.

You don't need to use the second person pronoun in Korean when it's understood from the context.

You can often use the person's name/title, or if it's an informal setting where you don't know the person's name I would use 그쪽.
T-J

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

무섭다 is not actually a verb, neither is 있다. You can use 무서워하다 there.

Could you explain this?

I'm not sure I agree with this.

First 있다 (as well as 없다, 이다, 아니다) I would call linking verbs.

Second, and this is an interesting one because it explains a common mistake made by Koreans when speaking English, is the difference between 무섭다 and 무서워하다.

무섭다 (to be) scary; frightening

무서워하다 (to be) scared; frightened

When we (I) hear "무서워!" It's translated as "(I'm) scared!" vs "(It's) scary!" because the first is more natural in English while the second is more natural in Korean.

I'm guessing but I think you were eluding to the point that the verb 무섭다 is often modified and used as an adjective (true adjectives being absent from Korean) as in 무서운 곰을 봤어요. I saw a scary bear.

Of course I could be completely out to lunch, so I'd like it if you could explain what you meant in the quote. TIA.
nate1983

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-J wrote:
Quote:

Could you explain this?

I believe words like 있다, 무섭다 are called "형용사" in Korean, which is roughly what we would call adjectives. As you've probably noticed though, they are functionally different from adjectives in English (functioning as predicates). Both 형용사 and 동사 are predicates in Korean, while verbs are but adjectives are not in English. [I hope that was right, I'm not an expert though.]

무서워하다 on the other hand is a "동사" or verb.

I guess it just depends on whether you're comfortable translating 형용사 as verb - my initial thought was that they don't fit all the characteristics of English verbs, but I'll admit I could be wrong.
javis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nate1983 wrote:
T-J wrote:
Quote:

Could you explain this?

I believe words like 있다, 무섭다 are called "형용사" in Korean, which is roughly what we would call adjectives. As you've probably noticed though, they are functionally different from adjectives in English (functioning as predicates). Both 형용사 and 동사 are predicates in Korean, while verbs are but adjectives are not in English. [I hope that was right, I'm not an expert though.]

무서워하다 on the other hand is a "동사" or verb.

I guess it just depends on whether you're comfortable translating 형용사 as verb - my initial thought was that they don't fit all the characteristics of English verbs, but I'll admit I could be wrong.

I've often seen the term descriptive verb for words like 무섭다 파랗다 좋다 etc because they are analogous to adjectives but function like verbs. 이다 and 아니다 are appropriately called linking verbs because they link nouns. 있다 and 없다 are in a class of their own, though. It can be a verb, descriptive verb or auxiliary verb, depending on which meaning you are using.

Ex. 가만 있으라 / 우리 집은 강아지 있어 / 아빠 집은 불이 켜 있었으니 집에 계신 줄 알았습니다.
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javis is correct. From the dictionary:

있다1[읻따]

[동사]
사람이나 동물이 어느 곳에서 떠나거나 벗어나지 아니하고 머물다.
사람이 어떤 직장에 계속 다니다.

[형용사]
사람, 동물, 물체 따위가 실제로 존재하는 상태이다.
어떤 사실이나 현상이 현실로 존재하는 상태이다.

As you can see it can serve as both a verb and an adjective/descriptive verb depending on intended meaning. 없다 is a little different. In modern Southern Korean, it is only an adjective/descriptive verb (although in the past it could be used as a verb, and in North Korea it is used as a verb euphemistically):

없다1[업ː따]

[형용사]
사람, 동물, 물체 따위가 실제로 존재하지 않는 상태이다.
어떤 사실이나 현상이 현실로 존재하지 않는 상태이다.

[동사] [북한어] ‘죽다1’를 완곡하게 이르는 말.

없다2

[동사] [옛말] 없어지다.
nate1983

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Javis is correct. From the dictionary:

있다1[읻따]

[동사]
사람이나 동물이 어느 곳에서 떠나거나 벗어나지 아니하고 머물다.
사람이 어떤 직장에 계속 다니다.

[형용사]
사람, 동물, 물체 따위가 실제로 존재하는 상태이다.
어떤 사실이나 현상이 현실로 존재하는 상태이다.

As you can see it can serve as both a verb and an adjective/descriptive verb depending on intended meaning. 없다 is a little different. In modern Southern Korean, it is only an adjective/descriptive verb (although in the past it could be used as a verb, and in North Korea it is used as a verb euphemistically):

없다1[업ː따]

[형용사]
사람, 동물, 물체 따위가 실제로 존재하지 않는 상태이다.
어떤 사실이나 현상이 현실로 존재하지 않는 상태이다.

[동사] [북한어] ‘죽다1’를 완곡하게 이르는 말.

없다2

[동사] [옛말] 없어지다.

Good to know with respect to 있다 also functioning as a verb. I was aware it was used as such in expressions like "여기 있을게" or "거기 있어라," but I thought that may have just been a colloquialism.
Drew345

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding Korean "spelling" of English (Konglish) words.

While I used to avoid Konglish words, I now find that by avoiding them I just create more confusion than if I used them, so I now try to embrace them.

I was just trying to send an SMS and wanted to mention that I was finishing a big "project". I know that "project" is also a Konglish word, and using any other word than "project" would have just created confusion, so I went to the google translator and put in "project", but the Korean version of the word did not come out. (I just spelled the word in English in my SMS).

I am really terrible at "spelling" English words with Korean letters, and my attempts at that also create terrible confusion. Usually I try to spell the word as Americans would pronounce, which is often quite different than Koreans would pronounce it, so it just ends up a mess. I remember one writing assignment where I wrote about riding "rollerblades" around the park, and the teacher though "rollerblades" were a brand of motorcycle because of my bad spelling. I showed her the word in English and she knew just what it was, and gave me the "proper" Korean spelling of "rollerblade". I have similarly mangled many US city names, although those are usually in the dictionary.

Anyway, long story short. Any Idea what is the best way to find the "proper" Korean spelling for Konglish words (which are usually not in the dictionary).
Thanks
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

프로젝트 is in my hand phone dictionary. So is 롤러블레이드. Perhaps you just need a more comprehensive dictionary?
Drew345

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two phone dictionaries
- E-disctionary
- Offline dictionary
and online google translate.

None of them offer "프로젝트"
What is the name of the dictionary you have? I'd love to try it out.

My dictionary doesn't entirely avoid Konglish though. I found Table, 테이블, there.
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My phone has the "Doosan Dong-a Prime KOR/ENG" dictionary. It is not free, but it's reasonable quality. Alternatively, dic.naver.com has an extensive, high quality Korean/English dictionary that returned 프로젝트 on a search for project. Free, but online.

I'd avoid Google.
Drew345

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Naver Dic info. I bookmarked that and really like the number of example sentences that they offer along with definitions.
I can't buy Apps til I get a card renewed, but I saved that Doosan dic to try out later.
Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 65 of 68

Jump to: