Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is teaching still lucrative after obtaining a marriage visa?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Is teaching still lucrative after obtaining a marriage visa? Reply with quote

I remember when people would often brag about how much money they were making because they had a marriage visa which allowed them to do privates and make their own work schedule with multiple part-time jobs.

Is it still this way? Would 4million+/mth be a reasonable expectation?
Coltronator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you are looking for is 4m+ then no worries. Low 5's is consistently doable for all but the most useless. Unless your target is 6+ I wouldn't worry as long as you live in a Million plus people city.
FastForward

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is teaching still lucrative after obtaining a marriage v Reply with quote

OBwannabe wrote:
I remember when people would often brag about how much money they were making because they had a marriage visa which allowed them to do privates and make their own work schedule with multiple part-time jobs.

Much harder to get privates these days. However, once the parents start spreading the word, you will probably start to pick up more classes. I have any where from 4-8 classes a week.

Also, a lot of the part time gigs are crap. A lot of them want you to work full time hours at part time pay or really low hourly pay.

With all that said, you can make 4 mill a month working part time gigs and privates. Not sure how everyone is able to make in the 5-6 million range. Traveling between privates kills a lot of time.
sligo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is teaching still lucrative after obtaining a marriage v Reply with quote

FastForward wrote:
OBwannabe wrote:

Much harder to get privates these days. However, once the parents start spreading the word, you will probably start to pick up more classes. I have any where from 4-8 classes a week.

Also, a lot of the part time gigs are crap. A lot of them want you to work full time hours at part time pay or really low hourly pay.

With all that said, you can make 4 mill a month working part time gigs and privates. Not sure how everyone is able to make in the 5-6 million range. Traveling between privates kills a lot of time.

Sibblings = back to back classes in the same location.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these figures only doable if you live in Seoul? Is anyone make 4+ living in places like Gwangju? I'm really trying to figure out how I can start making more money....
FastForward

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:
Are these figures only doable if you live in Seoul? Is anyone make 4+ living in places like Gwangju? I'm really trying to figure out how I can start making more money....

I would think any big city would be doable. It's still hard to find the privates in Seoul or other big cities. If you wife knows anyone that wants to do lessons that is a good start.
greatunknown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your wife helps you out then it can be alright.

My wife is pregnant so she is out of work. She finds me teachibg gigs with a blog she made that she posts to naver cafes. I teach 10-12 hours of privates a week for between 35 000-60 000 (35 is very low but they must come to me and pay for a month up front to get that deal.. location, age, and group size determine the price). I also work at an after school program which is low hours for decent pay, most only hire F visas.

Most days I teach 6 hours, sometimes more, sometimes saturdays for a few hours. Its a hustle but you can get to 5 million.

We just bought an apartment in a huge complex and will be registering to open a 공부방 (study room). I hope that works out for us.

I live in Incheon.

I wouldnt call it lucrative but it is a living wage
Coltronator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatunknown I thought I was reading a post I would have created. You are my Incheon twin.
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatunknown wrote:
If your wife helps you out then it can be alright.

My wife is pregnant so she is out of work. She finds me teachibg gigs with a blog she made that she posts to naver cafes. I teach 10-12 hours of privates a week for between 35 000-60 000 (35 is very low but they must come to me and pay for a month up front to get that deal.. location, age, and group size determine the price). I also work at an after school program which is low hours for decent pay, most only hire F visas.

Most days I teach 6 hours, sometimes more, sometimes saturdays for a few hours. Its a hustle but you can get to 5 million.

We just bought an apartment in a huge complex and will be registering to open a 공부방 (study room). I hope that works out for us.

I live in Incheon.

I wouldnt call it lucrative but it is a living wage

Opening up a study room sounds like a great idea. I'm guessing you can say goodbye to any real amount of vacation though.
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity.
Coltronator and Greatunkown...how old are you guys if you don't mind?

I'm 40 now and am guessing that picking up part time gigs is only going to get harder as I get older. Age might not be much of a factor for a study room. What do you think?
kingplaya4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might make more money by getting married, but you won't save more. Privates are also hard to come by these days. I guess if you have a wife who wants to work full time after getting married and/or doesn't want kids it could be a somewhat profitable move. I'd say in general a fake marriage (not condoning it, just saying) would be a bit more profitable than just having an E2, but I would hope no ones stooped to that.

Source: married
GENO123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is teaching still lucrative after obtaining a marriage v Reply with quote

FastForward wrote:
OBwannabe wrote:

They exaggerate

Best post ever written on the subject: Without the embellishments.

Quote:
nstead of withholding I'll explain how it has worked for others. You get your resume into the plethora of small business class organizers so that you get a few offers for 50k-60k/hour company classes to fill an hour or two each day in the morning 6:30am to 9:00am or so. If you are good with kids and have your license you could also look at Kindergarten & Preschool privates before they go to Kindergarten though the average rate there is only 40-50k. If you can find a Kindergarten nearby that can give you a block of 2-3 hours at 40k that can be 10am to Noon. Fill up 1-5pm about 3 hours each day at 35k/hour with afterschools. After that options vary wildly. Company classes again near end of work, business person private classes, small private group classes of 4-5 elementary/middle at 12k/hour each (so 48-60k), cut a deal with a Hagwon for them to offer classes (IBT usually) designed and taught by you, or worse case night shift with an Adult Hagwon like Pagoda or YBM adults.

If you do that you are looking at probably 4mil +/-300k per month.
Lazio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is teaching still lucrative after obtaining a marriage v Reply with quote

GENO123 wrote:
FastForward wrote:
OBwannabe wrote:

They exaggerate

Best post ever written on the subject: Without the embellishments.

Quote:
nstead of withholding I'll explain how it has worked for others. You get your resume into the plethora of small business class organizers so that you get a few offers for 50k-60k/hour company classes to fill an hour or two each day in the morning 6:30am to 9:00am or so. If you are good with kids and have your license you could also look at Kindergarten & Preschool privates before they go to Kindergarten though the average rate there is only 40-50k. If you can find a Kindergarten nearby that can give you a block of 2-3 hours at 40k that can be 10am to Noon. Fill up 1-5pm about 3 hours each day at 35k/hour with afterschools. After that options vary wildly. Company classes again near end of work, business person private classes, small private group classes of 4-5 elementary/middle at 12k/hour each (so 48-60k), cut a deal with a Hagwon for them to offer classes (IBT usually) designed and taught by you, or worse case night shift with an Adult Hagwon like Pagoda or YBM adults.

If you do that you are looking at probably 4mil +/-300k per month.

That describes a schedule from 7am to 7pm or so. If someone only makes 4 million like that, he is doing it all wrong.
All you need is 5 hours/day with the average of 40k/hour. Not that hard. That is 200k/day and 4 million a month. (can be more if there are no day offs or can be less with a few red days but the average is around 4 million) And one can do this working only in the afternoons and early evening hours. No need to spend 12 hours every day.
GENO123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use same way people measure hogwon salaries. So deduct 300 for housing. Also classes get canceled temporarily or permanently . plus there is travel time. Last everyone needs to calculate for unfoseen problems.

There is no such thing as an unlimited supply of easy hours which are easily axailable all of the time.

Hours are usually not in net blocks where everything matches up.

40 % of ones hours will be 30 k 40% will be at at 40k and 20% will be at 50k.

Pollyanna was a fictional movie
Lazio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GENO123 wrote:
Use same way people measure hogwon salaries. So deduct 300 for housing. Also classes get canceled temporarily or permanently . plus there is travel time. Last everyone needs to calculate for unfoseen problems.

There is no such thing as an unlimited supply of easy hours which are easily axailable all of the time.

Hours are usually not in net blocks where everything matches up.

40 % of ones hours will be 30 k 40% will be at at 40k and 20% will be at 50k.

Pollyanna was a fictional movie

Why are you comparing it suddenly to hagwon salaries? It was about whether someone can make a certain amount of money with a certain amount of work. What does it have to do with housing allowance?

I do only kindy and hagwon. No cancellations and very stable. Especially the kindies. Some places I've been working at for more than 6 years. Block hours and no more than two different locations a day. The least I get is 40k and the average is around 45k.
Sure it isn't easy to secure these but with years under your belt and a lot of former employers, recruiters who know you, trust you and want you, it's very doable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: