Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long can you get a point based F-2 visa for?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mahaju

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: How long can you get a point based F-2 visa for? Reply with quote

I you change your visa to F-2 through the Social Integration Program and the points system, what is the validity period for the visa? The documents from hiKorea are vague about this, they say the F-2 is for upto 3 years but what exactly does it mean? Does it mean I get the F-2 for just one year but can renew it upto 2 more times? I have heard from others and read online that you get it at once for 3 years, and if you stay in Korea during this period you can later apply for Permanent Residency (F-5). But then again, someone told me that when he went to get his F-2 visa, the Immigration officer told him that he can only have the visa for 1 year, then will have to show the proof of income, tax payment, proof of employment, etc to renew it later.

What is the deal with the F-2 visa? For how long can you get it? Will you still be tied to your place of work somehow after you get it? Is the visa validity period based on Immigration office or even Immigration Officer?

Does someone have any experience in getting F-2 Visa through the point system? Thanks
goreality

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means the validity date of the visa can be anywhere between 1-3 years. I know people who have had 1 year visas, 2 year visas, and even 3 year visas. How they decide who gets what is beyond me.
Once your get your visa you can renew it as much as you want assuming you are gainfully employed or have assets and have been employed recently.
Yaya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goreality wrote:
It means the validity date of the visa can be anywhere between 1-3 years. I know people who have had 1 year visas, 2 year visas, and even 3 year visas. How they decide who gets what is beyond me.
Once your get your visa you can renew it as much as you want assuming you are gainfully employed or have assets and have been employed recently.

And as long as you don't commit a crime in Korea.
kingssurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: How long can you get a point based F-2 visa for? Reply with quote

mahaju wrote:
I you change your visa to F-2 through the Social Integration Program and the points system, what is the validity period for the visa? The documents from hiKorea are vague about this, they say the F-2 is for upto 3 years but what exactly does it mean? Does it mean I get the F-2 for just one year but can renew it upto 2 more times? I have heard from others and read online that you get it at once for 3 years, and if you stay in Korea during this period you can later apply for Permanent Residency (F-5). But then again, someone told me that when he went to get his F-2 visa, the Immigration officer told him that he can only have the visa for 1 year, then will have to show the proof of income, tax payment, proof of employment, etc to renew it later.

What is the deal with the F-2 visa? For how long can you get it? Will you still be tied to your place of work somehow after you get it? Is the visa validity period based on Immigration office or even Immigration Officer?

Does someone have any experience in getting F-2 Visa through the point system? Thanks

I just got the F2-7 via through the points system. It is valid for 3 years (One week under 3 years to be exact). You can apply for permanent residency (F5) after it expires although this has been in the news recently.
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2015/02/116_173345.html
http://busanhaps.com/government-ease-visa-issuance-system/

The people who had the visa issued to them for 1-2 years got hosed just like the people who were told KIIP LEVEL 4 was 15 points and not 16 points like it actually is. I got 16 points for it.

It really could just be because the official behind the desk was having a bad day. Fortunately, the official I got was abnormally nice to me the day I applied. Many of the immigration officials do not even know their own policies. The lady behind the desk didn’t even know what I was applying for until I explained it to her.

I am still curious about what happened to the guy in Daegu, the guy who posted the Kiip rant over on Waygook. I believe they were barraged with many angry phone calls about this, and fixed the error. They can no longer give you info about the points over the phone. They can only tell you the documents you need.

The F2-7(거주) residence visa is not tied to you place of work. That is the main point of getting an F2-7visa. You own yourself, and you can work in as many places as you wish. No more release letter bs or any of that non sense. True freedom.

http://www.worknplay.co.kr/index.php/mod/article/act/showArticle/art_no/156/the-f-series-visas-in-korea (ignore the point info and processing time on here as it is incorrect.)

Cheers
mahaju

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kingsurfer
Thank you very much for the informative links
So you think it should be possible to get this visa for 3 years (or at least 2 years) if I find out who is the right person to talk to?
Do you think getting an immigration lawyer involved might be necessary or helpful?

I also didn't get one part of the article in your second link (busanhaps.com one):

Under the present system, high-scoring foreign talent are granted the F2 visa, which removes all restrictions on work, if they stay for one year.

What does it mean by "which removes all restrictions on work, if they stay for one year"? Are there any restrictions for a year even after getting the F2?

Thanks a lot.
mahaju

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, do you have some idea on the validity period of the Social Integration program, or where I can get official information about it?
I need to know how long it is possible to put off changing to the F-2 visa unless I can figure out a way to get F-2 for at least 2 or 3 years at once

The Social Integration Program completion certificate does not have any validity dates

Please see my other question:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=236058
kingssurfer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mahaju wrote:
Hi Kingsurfer
Thank you very much for the informative links
So you think it should be possible to get this visa for 3 years (or at least 2 years) if I find out who is the right person to talk to?
Do you think getting an immigration lawyer involved might be necessary or helpful?

I also didn't get one part of the article in your second link (busanhaps.com one):

Under the present system, high-scoring foreign talent are granted the F2 visa, which removes all restrictions on work, if they stay for one year.

What does it mean by "which removes all restrictions on work, if they stay for one year"? Are there any restrictions for a year even after getting the F2?

Thanks a lot.

Ok

1. If you qualify for the F2-7 points visa, you will get it for 3 years. If you do not, you are getting hosed. This could change, but as of now that’s how it is.
2. No, no lawyer is necessary. Just do what you need to do to get the points for the visa and apply.

3. It means you have to be on an E or D series visa for at least one year before you apply for the F2-7. If you are on a D series visa, you need at least a masters degree to apply. If you are an E series visa, anything goes as long as you have enough points to qualify. Yes, the way they worded it was confusing.

4. It means once you get the F2-7 visa, you have no restrictions on work. Except for running for office or voting, you can do whatever you want. If you want to start a business you can. Unlike other visas, you don’t need to a certain amount of money to do it.

5. As for your last question, I do not know. The only date on the certificates were the day they issued them to me. I applied a month after I got the level 5 certificate because I had to wait for tax documents, and there was no problem. Call 1345 and ask. Hope that helps.

Cheers
mahaju

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kingsurfer

Thank you for your helpful reply

If you don't mind, I have another question

I called 1345 and asked about the validity period of the F-2 visa and they also told me that it will only be issued for 1 year, and can be extended 2 more times (giving me a total of 3 years)

A document (Korean version) I have from HiKorea dated 2015-04-20 has this to say about length of stay
1회에 부여할 수 있는 체류 기간 상한 -- 3년
which I interpreted to mean "the maximum length of stay that can be granted at one time is 3 years" (the English version of this same document just says "Maximum length of stay" which can probably be interpreted in any way)

But 1345 clearly told me that at one time it is only given for 1 year

Are these people just that inconsistent regarding the implementation of the point system rules, or did they officially change the rules at some point?

Due to work schedule and distance it is very difficult to make multiple visits to the immigration office so I am seriously considering getting a lawyer to do this for me

However I am not really sure what a lawyer does exactly in matters of immigration (In case of Canada immigration for example I have heard that they only make it easier in terms of document handling and processing, and I might as well do it personally if I know what I am doing)

Do you think a lawyer can get it for three years (or at least for 2 years)? If not I don't want to spend any money on them because immigration already told me they will give the F-2 for at least 1 year

Thanks
spaceman82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what documents are required to renew the F-2 points visa or upgrade to the F-5?

Mine was issued for three years and I have a little less than a year left on it, but I'd like to get everything ready well, well in advance. It'd also be great to go ahead and upgrade to the F-5 now if that's an option.
mahaju

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what their document says:
F-5 Permanent Resident status permission criteria for those who obtained resident status through point system:

Financial assets worth 30 million KRW and annual income twice larger than previous years GNI per capita income

Never violated Korean laws or never worked in adult entertainment industry or non-professional fields

Passed level 2 or higher of the Korean Language Assessment Test or completed the Korea Immigration Integration Program (However, if you scored 15 points or more on the Korean Language Assesment when obtaining resident staus, you will be exempt from the Language requirement)

So assuming you already have the language requirements (since you obtained resident status 3 years ago), the main issue seems to be about income and financial assets. Also I have heard that you need to have stayed in Korea during those three years, but I am not sure about this requirement

Is it that they changed their policies and are currently not giving the F-2 visa for 3 years at once, or does this depend on which immigration office you apply to? Is it possible to go to a different immigration office than the one where you live?

When I called 1345 they said it's only given for 1 year at one time, but I have read online about people getting it for 3 years.
spaceman82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was hoping the requirements might be a little less strict with the points visa, but I guess that was wishful thinking.

I'm not sure what the current policy is in regard to how long the points visa is issued for. I did get mine quite a while ago (a little over two years), so they may have changed the rules since then or I might've just gone to the right immigration office (applied at Mokdong)--who knows.

But that does make me wonder how long I'll be able to renew the visa for, if I am able to do that successfully.

Appreciate you taking the time to post that F-5 visa information one again.
mahaju

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you get the F-2 for just one year, these are the (basic) documents needed to renew it for the next year (in Korean):

- 여권
- 외국인등록증
- 통합신청서
- 수수료 6만원
- 재직증명서
- 체류지입증서류(임대차계약서)

It said that these were the basic documents and other papers might be requested as per needed

But then again, this is for the case you get F-2 for just 1 year and need to renew it later

The document for F-2 visa clearly says maximum length of stay is 3 years so in your case perhaps it is better to contact immigration directly to find out what can be done, and if possible may be even upgrade to F-5
spaceman82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that helps quite a bit. I do know that when I contacted them way back when I first got the visa they told me that renewal of the F-2 beyond the three years would be possible. I don't know if that's true or the officer I spoke with was mistaken, but that's what they told me.

I'll probably give them a call again this week or next to get some more specific information about both visas.

Thanks again!
mahaju

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If possible could you please find out if the policy changed regarding the duration of F-2 visa, or do we just need to find the right guy to talk to, and share it here? Even if the policy officially changed, I cannot find the official visa related document on hikorea (the one I have is dated around 2015 February which I downloaded from HiKorea, but I recently searched through the website and I cannot even find the same document again)
spaceman82

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'll ask and see whether they have a set rule about the length of the visa or it's just a case-by-case thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: