Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending luggage home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjajangmyun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Sending luggage home Reply with quote

I know many of you are familiar with sending your luggage home using the slow-boat, and I've done this a few times too.

But does anybody have experience sending home the luggage bags too? the post office doesn't accept them because of their dimensions. we're talking about bags like these that you take for extended stays in other countries: http://www.consumerspk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Consumer-Case-Bag.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking *inside* the box here.

Why not put the stuff in shipping boxes and post them.

Then sell the suitcases:!:
Jake_Kim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post office won't take them unless you box them up. As long as the external dimension falls within the criteria of A) 'Length no longer than 1.05 meters' AND B) 'The sum of the perimeter plus the length not exceeding 2 meters' for the U.S., for example, and the total weight falls within 20 kilograms, you can ship the box by surface mail.

Both conditions A and B could vary depending on the destination country, surface mail service itself is limited to a certain number of countries. Most Anglophone countries are still covered, though. Beware that your shipment will be more or less treated harshly, you might want to consider some shock-proof measure inside the box to protect those wheels and/or handle made of plastics.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending luggage home Reply with quote

jjajangmyun wrote:
I know many of you are familiar with sending your luggage home using the slow-boat, and I've done this a few times too.

But does anybody have experience sending home the luggage bags too? the post office doesn't accept them because of their dimensions. we're talking about bags like these that you take for extended stays in other countries: http://www.consumerspk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Consumer-Case-Bag.jpg

I believe we did this back in '09 right at ICH before our plane took off. Either wife or BIL did it, so i can't direct you to where it is inside the airport, but I know it was possible to do back then. I don't think it was that expensive either. I'm pretty sure it's treated as cargo (opposed to checked baggage) on their flights to destination.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP:
There is NO cost effective method of shipping large dimension items home (at least not until you get up to mini-container size).

options include:
    courier
    air freight
    unaccompanied baggage (not an option to all destination countries).
    post office EMS
    freight forwarder or expediter.

Ship the contents and sell the bags.

jjajangmyun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i called all of the above and you're right: we're talking at least 400,000W to ship one piece of luggage home by courier and everything else is way more expensive.

time to pack some boxes and sell some bags.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: