Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hankuk University Of Foreign Studies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plato's republic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any information on the Yongin campus?
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at their Seoul school - the Foreign Language Training Center (FLTTC). I agree with all of the posters above. It was just an awful place to work. I have never been treated so shabbily by any employer in my entire life. Foreign teachers are treated like dirt. Imagine the nastiest hogwan experience you've heard or read about in Korea - then place it on a university campus. That's the flttc folks. Give it a very wide berth.

A genuine hell hole.
Smithington

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Further to my post above; any potential new recruit at HUFS can expect this lovely employment package: blatant violations of the contract; threats of immediate firing (without notice); extremely low pay; no sick days; no airfare (not even to Japan for a visa run); no settlement allowance; your accommodation is a (largely unfurnished) on-campus dormitory room � you get a fridge and a bed; this fine accommodation comes with paper thin walls and is located in a filthy, smelly, run-down (and incredibly noisy) part of Seoul; you will receive zero training, and yet be expected to know everything; every trivial complaint is immediately brought to your attention and made a huge deal of by administration; the text books (seemingly thrown together by the staff after a few bottles of soju) would put a low level hogwan to shame; fifteen teachers share one crowded office with two computers that don't work; split shifts (every day); evaluations of the students mean nothing, yet their evaluations of you can cost you your job on the spot! Just one person who doesn�t like you can make your life hell.

Do not be fooled by the important sounding name (�The Foreign Language Training and Teaching Center�). It�s a scumbag hogwan. Actually, I take that back. Even the scummiest of hogwans provide airfare and a furnished apartment. Take a pass on HUFS folks! Life in Korea is stressful enough without working at that place. By far the worst experience I had during my time in Korea. Just a hellish place to work.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So pleased to find this thread. I've read it three times from beginning to end, and am glad to see that the language training center at HUFS is getting the attention it deserves. As several posters have said, the working conditions are probably the worst of any such job in Korea. But what, in my experience, made working at the language center particularly objectionable was the scandalously unhealthy work atmosphere. To simply say it was a hostile work environment doesn't really do it justice. It wasn't just an unpleasant work experience, but an unpleasant and offensive life experience. Bad work conditions are one thing, but the way the language center treats its employees is another thing altogether. I had never been so happy to leave a job in my life. A previous poster said it best when he wrote the following:

tyno wrote:
thank god i left. i can feel the joy slowly creeping back into me.

It's just that bad.

Last edited by Scorpion on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
liveinkorea316

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the posters in this thread and others who have posted their personal experiences about University working conditions.

It is usually Hagwons that we are used to being wary of and keeping our wits about us but I have truly had my eyes opened and have been able to add a couple of names of unis to add to my list of not applying to in future.
Julius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone remember one of the co-ordinators at HUFS Foreign Language Training and Teaching Center who was also a P/t recruiter for morning calm recruiting? went by the name of Helen.
She recruited a guy I know and then pressured him to work before his visa arrived.
As there were no other jobs around he did so, after which she ran off with his money and stopped answering his calls.
A few months later "morning calm recruiting" declared bankruptcy to avoid paying taxes but apparently continued to work on the quiet.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justin moffatt wrote:
Conditions: Better than a hogwan? Perhaps if you are working 50 hours plus weekly, with ADD kids with Tourettes Syndrome in some extremely rural area for under 2 mil. HUFS: 20 hours plus including substantial prep time and ridiculous split shifts. Not to mention, get low evals, and you are out mid contract! (Just look every 3 months on Daves for postings).

Strange thing is, I haven't seen them advertise for some time. I did a job search on Daves and couldn't find any advertisements for the Flttc over the past twelve months. Did they change their name, or have they been forced to find teachers through a back channel? I occasionally see ads for Hankuk "Academy" of Foreign Studies. Has anyone heard of this place? Seems to have materialized out of nowhere. Is this the Flttc under a new name? Could it be a recruiting front for the foreign language institute? Just seems strange that I never see them advertise. Where are they getting their teachers these days? Either way, I'm not surprised that they're not advertising openly. Any publicity for them is bad publicity, and they know it.
Smithington

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. They are still in business, and under the old name. Confused
luckylady

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is it totally separate from this dept or are they all connected together:

http://chronicle.com/jobs/0000729392-01

Position: Assistant (Associate/Full) Professor of Theory Faculty in Mass Communication

Institution: Hankuk University of Foreign Studies

Application deadline: May 31, 2012

The Division of Journalism & Communication, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Seoul, Korea is seeking to fill a position (for a non-Korean) in the field of mass communication, effective September 1, 2012. The contract period is from September 1, 2012 August 2013 but may be extended every year. The assistant professor level is preferred, but the associate and full professor levels will also be considered according to qualifications. Applicants are expected to hold a Ph.D. degree in the related area.

Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) is the most globalized institution of higher education in Korea (http://www.hufs.ac.kr). The university is known for its dynamic academic community with great cultural diversity, bolstered by its 45 foreign language departments. Many faculty members and students are from various foreign countries.

The expected monthly salaries are:

- Full Professor : 4,652,500 Won (Korean Currency)

- Associate Professor : 4,148,000 Won

- Assistant Professor : 3,108,700 Won - 3,627,200 Won (USD 3,297, based on KRW1,100 / $1) *commensurate with experience

** The newly appointed professor will also be offered a one-way air ticket to Seoul, Korea and other accommodations including housing

this sounds like an ace of a position -
sml7285

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckylady wrote:

Position: Assistant (Associate/Full) Professor of Theory Faculty in Mass Communication

The Division of Journalism & Communication, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies, Seoul, Korea is seeking to fill a position (for a non-Korean) in the field of mass communication, effective September 1, 2012. The contract period is from September 1, 2012 August 2013 but may be extended every year. The assistant professor level is preferred, but the associate and full professor levels will also be considered according to qualifications. Applicants are expected to hold a Ph.D. degree in the related area.

Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) is the most globalized institution of higher education in Korea (http://www.hufs.ac.kr). The university is known for its dynamic academic community with great cultural diversity, bolstered by its 45 foreign language departments. Many faculty members and students are from various foreign countries.

- Assistant Professor : 3,108,700 Won - 3,627,200 Won (USD 3,297, based on KRW1,100 / $1) *commensurate with experience

** The newly appointed professor will also be offered a one-way air ticket to Seoul, Korea and other accommodations including housing

Well considering that full professors in the US typically earn in the 80k-200k range, it's not that great.

I assume that new professors would be required to go through tenure track and would start off as assistants for a few years anyways.
atwood

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luckylady wrote:

For someone with a Ph.D. in mass communication, the pay is low. The housing isn't much, althoough it is free. And you'll be expectd to publish if you want to keep the job for more than just a year or two.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Foreign language testing center (flttc) that you ought to avoid. This has been stated very clearly by numerous posters. However, I would suspect that any university that allows an operation like the flttc to operate on its campus, and use its name on its contracts, has a dark moral cloud hanging over it. I have no direct experience of the job you are currently discussing, just be careful. Some jobs look great on paper, but turn out to be dreadful places to work.

If you are offered an interview, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Last edited by Scorpion on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
therockery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the heads up!
tirinal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plato's republic wrote:
Any information on the Yongin campus?

Repeating this question, as it was never answered and there's a job posting up. From what I can tell it's a legit if pretty unremarkable workplace separate from the hellhole Seoul campus. Anyone care to contradict this?
Chaucer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: What ad? Reply with quote

What ad? The only ad I see for the Yongin campus is for their high school--which is a great school, currently vying for the top high school spot in Korea in terms of ability of students. Management, on the other hand, is not so great. I've talked to them about part time teaching work and they haven't been able to put together a good deal.
The university is right there too, of course--beautiful campus, especially in the summer. Not a great location for people who don't have an established social life in Korea, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: