Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hankuk University Of Foreign Studies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kambeix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to read some possitive comments!

I think the salary will be between 3.2 and 3.7, but we still don't know all the details (waiting for contract and plane tickets). Also, we don't know if the advertised salary is before legal discounts or after legal discounts (in our country, published salary is always after discounts).

About the housing allowance, is it standard practice that you can choose between dorms/housing OR allowance, or if you choose to find your own apartment you might not receive allowance?

again, thanks for the info!
seansmith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing this thread go on for years, with many posters equating HUFS with the unigwon (the language institute on campus) I have to weigh in. I worked for HUFS at both the English Education Department and the English Department. It was a great gig. If you work for one of the university departments it is completely separate in salary, conditions, level of respect, and quality of administration from the unigwon. I had several friends working at the unigwon and yes, their lives were miserable. I believe every awful anecdote about the unigwon on this thread.

However, if anyone has a chance at a university departmental position whether it be English Education, Spanish, German, or whatever, seriously consider it. I know conditions have changed since I left but they are still competitive with some of the better contracts out there. The only department to be avoided is the HUFS cyber learning program - can't remember the actual name - as their salary and conditions are not great and are more hogwan-like.
kambeix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sean!

One more question... we are still waiting for the contract/invitation letter and plane tickets... how long are we expected to wait? I mean, we should be flying by Aug. 15-20, 1 month! and we have to leave the apartment, sell stuff, close accounts etc...
seansmith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hired November 10th for a March 1st start - the Spring semester. I was also in Seoul at the time which made things easier. Based on that timeline you should be getting your tickets and contract soon. You're a late hire, actually. You may want to email the person hiring you to see what's going on.
Chaucer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Seconded Reply with quote

I will second (or third) the positive comments about HUFS. Don't know about the Seoul housing but the Yongin campus housing, especially for married couples, is three bedroom apartments in a new all-instructor building on campus. Possibly the best university gig in Korea, due to decent salary (3.2 is accurate to start--people working or with PhDs get 3.7 and up), that included housing, respect, no nonsense admin, etc.
Smithington

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Seconded Reply with quote

Chaucer wrote:
I will second (or third) the positive comments about HUFS. Don't know about the Seoul housing but the Yongin campus housing, especially for married couples, is three bedroom apartments in a new all-instructor building on campus. Possibly the best university gig in Korea, due to decent salary (3.2 is accurate to start--people working or with PhDs get 3.7 and up), that included housing, respect, no nonsense admin, etc.

I think it is important that people realise that you are not endorsing the HUFS flttc in Dongdaemun, Seoul. It is imperative that people make a clear distinction between the two. But it's good to know that there are good jobs at HUFS, and your post has helped clear up issues. But be assured, had you worked at the FLTTC your post would be very, very different indeed. So, I think it's safe to say that we can draw a sharp distinction between HUFS and the on-campus hogwan. Although for the life of me I cannot understand why they would allow their reputation to be dragged through the mud by association with that unigwon. If I was the HUFS president I would severe that link as soon as possible. Nothing good (save a bit of extra income) can come from being associated with that place.

Cheers.
kambeix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... so the story ends like this:

After almost 2 months of being accepted, and afterwards confirmed por a job position at HUFS, my wife got an e-mail saying that the process has been cancelled for motives outside of the department.

Other than having to modify all of our schedule regarding jobs, plans, etc... and the big dissapointment, I find this a highly irresponsible way of treating people.

The thing that irritates me the most is that they didn't answer the emails and had us waiting for 3 weeks for this. We even called and all we got was "ok...ok... please send an email"

Well, That was our experience, sorry for the grammar/spelling my english might not be the best.
cheolsu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for sharing. I hope your wife finds a better job with a better school.
backtotheROK

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Nothing good (save a bit of extra income) can come from being associated with that place.'

therein lies the reason.
seansmith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kambiex, I'm really sorry to hear that. Again, keeping in mind that HUFS and the language institute are separate bodies, what happened to you and your wife is what sometimes happens when dealing with Korean institutions. They often don't think or plan in the middle or long term, with poor communication and decision making between different levels of the institution.

I was told that I was hired at HUFS, but then was told that I had to wait a few days for the university budget committee to approve the funds for my salary. Well, then why not wait until the budget committee approves my salary before contacting me? Anyway, it was a tense few days before I got the final confirmation. But you and your wife waiting 2 months is much more inconsiderate and unprofessional behavior. Good luck with future job searches.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seansmith wrote:
I worked for HUFS at both the English Education Department and the English Department. It was a great gig. If you work for one of the university departments it is completely separate in salary, conditions, level of respect, and quality of administration from the unigwon. I had several friends working at the unigwon and yes, their lives were miserable. I believe every awful anecdote about the unigwon on this thread.

Awful it was. Good to hear that the departments have better conditions, but what happened to Kambiex really sucked. He's at the other end of the earth (in Chile) packing up his life to move to Korea and HUFS pulls the rug out from underneath him and his wife at the last moment. Not exactly the behavior of a respectable institution. Hard to tell if its just the irresponsible and unthinking way that Koreans often do things, or if there's an ethos problem at HUFS. Given that HUFS allows such an unethical institution as the FLTTC to operate on its grounds, and use its name, makes me think that it's the latter. Probably a combination of both. Still, I have no reason to doubt that there are some goods jobs there, as you seem to have one. But the FLTTC was a very unpleasant place to work, and what HUFS did to Kambiex was messed up.
Smithington

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They be hiring.

According to a friend (who frequents a pub across the street from HUFS) apparently the foreign language center be lookin' for some new recruits. Get that resume in there now. Very Happy
Scorpion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bippity boppity bump.

Just saw that this lovely place was being discussed on another thread. Thought I'd bring this thread to their attention.

Beware the evil that is the flttc at HUFS.
Smithington

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Scorpion seems to have gone AWOL it's down to me to bump this thread again. I just saw over at worknplay that HUFS has opened another FLTTC in Seoul. As it likely has not developed a reputation yet, prospective teachers will be unlikely to talk to current or former teachers. Tread carefully. Be sure to ask what relationship the place has to the FLTTC in Dongdaemun. And don't be afraid to mention this thread.

Pay starts from as low as 2.2 per month. Shocked

Some desperate fool will eventually take it, I suppose.

http://www.worknplay.co.kr/korea-jobs/205205/full-time-hankuk-university-language-institute-chungna
GJoeM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only heard bad reports about HUFS, at all branches -- what is it that goes on there that makes it so notoriously terrible?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: