Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

please help!! Recruiter contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newnew15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: please help!! Recruiter contract Reply with quote

I've just been offered a position with a private hagwon in Busan and I was on the verge of accepting when my recruiter sent over a contract between myself and her to sign before going any further. She had never mentioned anything about this before. The contract basically states that if I leave the school before the 12 months of my contract for any reason I not only owe the school back the money for my flight over but I also owe the recruiter $900 to cover her fees. Is this standard? I find it a little fishy that I am just hearing about this now after all the discussion that we have had about everything else and once she has found a suitable position. Any feedback at all would be great!! Not really sure how I should proceed.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: please help!! Recruiter contract Reply with quote

newnew15 wrote:
I've just been offered a position with a private hagwon in Busan and I was on the verge of accepting when my recruiter sent over a contract between myself and her to sign before going any further. She had never mentioned anything about this before. The contract basically states that if I leave the school before the 12 months of my contract for any reason I not only owe the school back the money for my flight over but I also owe the recruiter $900 to cover her fees. Is this standard? I find it a little fishy that I am just hearing about this now after all the discussion that we have had about everything else and once she has found a suitable position. Any feedback at all would be great!! Not really sure how I should proceed.
Well, the simple answer, and I don't mean to sound flippant, is either sign the recruiter's contract, or don't. I mean, no one has a gun to your head, right? Personally, I would never sign a contract like that, even though it's probably not enforceable anyway, especially the $900 fee part. I have refused to sign several teacher contracts for a lot less troubling issues than that, telling whoever was handling the negotiation that I did not feel comfortable with the terms. Most of the time they acceded to my wishes and changed the terms to how I wanted. The one or two times that they didn't, I took a pass and kept looking. There are other jobs out there.

Anyway, I don't see anything "fishy" about it. She has probably been burned before and is just trying to protect herself. Just tell her that you have talked to many other teachers and have never heard of this before. If you really want this particular job, try to allay her fears by saying that you are an honorable person and that you have every intention of completing the year, and barring unforeseen circumstances beyond your control, you will. That's what I would do. But I would advise against signing that contract.
northway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: please help!! Recruiter contract Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
newnew15 wrote:
Well, the simple answer, and I don't mean to sound flippant, is either sign the recruiter's contract, or don't. I mean, no one has a gun to your head, right? Personally, I would never sign a contract like that, even though it's probably not enforceable anyway, especially the $900 fee part. I have refused to sign several teacher contracts for a lot less troubling issues than that, telling whoever was handling the negotiation that I did not feel comfortable with the terms. Most of the time they acceded to my wishes and changed the terms to how I wanted. The one or two times that they didn't, I took a pass and kept looking. There are other jobs out there.

Anyway, I don't see anything "fishy" about it. She has probably been burned before and is just trying to protect herself. Just tell her that you have talked to many other teachers and have never heard of this before. If you really want this particular job, try to allay her fears by saying that you are an honorable person and that you have every intention of completing the year, and barring unforeseen circumstances beyond your control, you will. That's what I would do. But I would advise against signing that contract.

It's unenforceable if he leaves the country.
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: please help!! Recruiter contract Reply with quote

northway wrote:

Yeah, that's what I meant. However, you just made me wonder what the recruiter could do even if he did stay in country, as we are talking about an agent's contract that is separate from the teaching contract. The only way he could teach elsewhere anyway would be if he got a letter of release, which would mean he had the school's blessing, and if he had the school's blessing, how could the recruiter protest?

At any rate, I would still advise against signing it.
northway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: please help!! Recruiter contract Reply with quote

Sector7G wrote:
northway wrote:

Yeah, that's what I meant. However, you just made me wonder what the recruiter could do even if he did stay in country, as we are talking about an agent's contract that is separate from the teaching contract. The only way he could teach elsewhere anyway would be if he got a letter of release, which would mean he had the school's blessing, and if he had the school's blessing, how could the recruiter protest?

At any rate, I would still advise against signing it.

Yeah, I think the school would have to sue him in order to get the money, which probably wouldn't be worth it for 900,000. I'm pretty sure that every recruiter would use a contract like this if it actually had any legs. I also question whether it's actually legal.
basic69isokay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont ever do a recruiter any favors.
Dont sign it
They are worried about their commission, okay but...it means many teachers ran from this job in the past. And they think u might too.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: please help!! Recruiter contract Reply with quote

newnew15 wrote:

This is a scam and a BIG red flag (it wouldn't be an issue for them if the jobs they placed people into didn't have a very high number of runners).

Don't sign it and change recruiters or you will pay the consequences.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: