Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English teachers being replaced by CHILDREN!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDDstylee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: English teachers being replaced by CHILDREN!!!! Reply with quote

Read about how Native speakers can be replaced by native "children"
at DDD Life in Korea. www.lifeinkorea.org Who else has had experiences like this?
DDD Life in Korea. "Cute is cool, and so is loud guitar" www.lifeinkorea.org
Butterfly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: English teachers being replaced by CHILDREN!!!! Reply with quote

DDDstylee wrote:
Read about how Native speakers can be replaced by native "children"
at DDD Life in Korea. www.lifeinkorea.org Who else has had experiences like this?
DDD Life in Korea. "Cute is cool, and so is loud guitar" www.lifeinkorea.org

There is a lot to be said for learning languages from children. For adults speaking to children in a foreign language almost eliminates the effective filters (embarrassment). For children to learn from other children would also be effective I think. Why not?
Confused Canadian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a big difference between being taught by children, and USING English-speaking children for your own gains. This is absolutely appalling to me, on a couple of levels. A) That Korean adults think that foreign parents would like to put their children through this, under the guise of a scholarship to Korea. B) That any foreign parents would rent their children out to this kind of slave labor.

If nothing else, I hope that the Labor Board hears about this and puts a stop to it immediately. (Isn't there somebody on this board whose wife works for the Labor Board?)

There's a huge difference between having foreign friends, and paying for foreign "friends". Just when I though hagwon owners couldn't sink any lower..*sigh*

Confused Canadian
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something obscene and desperate about such a plan. The fact is that a high proportion of Korean kids are simply unteachable because the system and culure here lets kids run out of control. They need to take a long hard look at the root causes of low educational performance in this country.....
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
katydid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This by far is the strangest thing I have ever heard. I'm sorry, but if I wan my children to experience ulture, I'm not going to end them to Korea. They would not by any means be trained seals for Korean kids either.
I can not see how fun this could be for the foreigner kids. Kids should be kids and not work for someone else's benefit.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

posco's trumpet wrote:

I don't think the labor board would do anything. Why would they?

On a related note: for quite some time, U.S. companies have been getting foreign students to pay to come to the USA for cultural exchange/work-study and stick them into minimum wage jobs at amusement parks. After taking a considerable chunk for 'housing', the students get almost nothing at the end of the summer... yeah, they got a cultural experience: the experience of getting boned while some fathead pursues the American dream.

Why would the Labor Board do anything? Well, since the only place I see Korean children toiling away is as students in hogwons, I assume that there are child labor laws in Korea.

Also, there is a world of difference between importing foreign college students as cheap summer labor, and importing foreign elementary school students year-round as cheap labor.

If this article isn't a hoax, I can't imagine that this business scheme could possibly be allowed to get very far.

Last edited by Son Deureo! on Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Confused Canadian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

posco's trumpet wrote:
Confused Canadian wrote:
Korean adults think that foreign parents would like to put their children through this, under the guise of a scholarship to Korea. B) That any foreign parents would rent their children out to this kind of slave labor.

If nothing else, I hope that the Labor Board hears about this and puts a stop to it immediately. (Isn't there somebody on this board whose wife works for the Labor Board?)

I don't think the labor board would do anything. Why would they?

Along the same lines as Son Deureo!, I agree that this would fall under child labor law. Even if parents give "permission" (and as I stated above, I have no respect for any parent that would), the children are still doing the "labor". No matter how you slice it, this just isn't right. If the "children" in question are teenagers, of a sufficient age that they can decide that they want to do this, and are doing this as a summer job, perhaps it's not so bad. But that's not the gist of what I got from the article. The gist I got is elementary aged kids (if not younger), being rented out as Hire-A-Foreign-Playmates for a day. If this doesn't fall under child labor laws, what does?

Confused Canadian
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to go off on a tangent (I didn't read the op's link yet) but

Quote:
The fact is that a high proportion of Korean kids are simply unteachable because the system and culure here lets kids run out of control. They need to take a long hard look at the root causes of low educational performance in this country.....

I found this statement to be rather strange. Maybe it's just a semantic misunderstanding on what constitutes 'unteachable' and 'out of control'...
Dr. Buck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird story indeed.
One related note: This spring-summer I recall an advertisement in the Korea Herald placed by one of the ESL franchise chains. It's specific purpose was to recruit foriegn kids.
And also, on some other Korean ESL website (maybe spectrum), I remember seeing similar postings asking foriegn parents to send their kids to some dodgy sounding summer camp. Maybe they are still in the depths of the job posting archives somewhere.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boy, if this doesn't sound like a David Kang joint, I don't know what does!!!

I will say that it - as well as several other 'business models' I have heard of recently - does sound financially lucrative.

If anyone has a lot of scratch to throw around, and wants an idea, just let me know!

As for the 'adjumma spies,' at least that part I can verify - that sort of thing happens all of the time in schools. Funny stuff.

Finally, inherited 60 fishing boats?!?!? Man, there is a lifetime ticket to Vietnam!!!! Shocked

Regards,

Glen
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now you guys know why so many people still want to be communists.
Gord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so I understand, it's cool when this happens under the label of "exchange student" and no money changes hands, but it's uncool when money is suddenly involved that benefits the student travelling abroad?
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong answer, Gord. I don't see any mention of the foreign kids studying, or being taught anything, or for that matter anything being provided for these children other than cash for their parents.

Exchange students attend classes and study in foreign countries. No one is expecting them to teach anything.

These kids are performing a service for cash, and they are children. That's pretty much the definition of child labor.
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one thing the principles behind the two things are different. WIth exchange students there is the desire on both sides for cross cultural exchanges and the posiblity of the exchange student to learn another language. the underlying motive for such exchanges are not monetary.
With this there seems to be no desire for a cross cultural exchange. Here the exchange student isn't learning a new language or improving on one, but is required to teach one. THe underlying motive is for one party to make money. THe party making the money seems to be deceptive. Trying to fool gulliable parents into sending there kids over here.
Also there are no details on what kind of schooling these kids are supposed to get. if they do get to go to regular school they would probably have to go to these hogwans to "play" with korean kids. This whole thing sounds very dodgy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: