Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What has your boss said about you? (mini rant too)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: What has your boss said about you? (mini rant too) Reply with quote

Just curious if others out there have been shat upon by their former employers like I have.

My previous employer (as everyone here that has read my previous posts should know I have grown to love) apparantly reported me to immigration as a runner! This is all despite the fact that I gave a 60 day notice, and agreed to work an additional 30 days on top of that in exchange for the pay he was holding hostage (this was all written down, signed, and witnessed). He even accompanied me to immigration to cancel my visa.

I finally found a new position that I love, great hours, excellent location, and a boss from heaven that gives overtime. When it came time to submit the paperwork for my new E-2 she came and asked me why I had pulled a runner and that when she called my previous employer he said that I was a terrible teacher and had left without notice!

Thankfully after presenting all my documentation to my new boss she believed me rather than the snake that is my former employer. I still feel as if I lost some credibility in her eyes because of what my old boss said about me.

Which brings me to my question; What sort of things have your old employers said about you? Have those things affected your ability to find a new job or obtain another work visa?

What brings another human to blatantly lie about someone, was this about face?
Gord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were to place bets, I would wager that it was anger. In replacing you after you decided you weren't going to work for the year, you ended up costing the owner a lot money in replacing you with new recruiter fees. Then they had to face the thousand questions of "what happened to the other teacher? He wasn't here a year." from parents asking what's going on. And if the new teacher that arrived was useless, parents will complain about how the old teacher was much better and why can't the school hire good teachers. As well, bad teachers lead to students being pulled and placed in other schools, directly contributing to a decline in the schools revenue as acting as yet another cost directly due to your quitting early.

All coming together after you were long gone from the school. Thus creating an incentive for the owner to share their pain.

That would be my wager.
just because

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the official line from a few of the teachers at my school plus to my face(but I really can't trust that).
Apparently he thinks I am the best teacher the hagwon has ever had(isn't that sweet) and there has been 50+ so that makes me feel good. Also, he apparently said in Korean that I have my $hit together and know how to handle kids very well.
The back up of this is that I am leaving in 7 weeks and he is offering me a 300 000 won a month raise if i come back( I don't think it will be enough, i need a rest)
jlb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: lies, lies, lies Reply with quote

I got fired illegally from my job about 2 months ago and the hogwan owners told immigration and the labor office that I quit. Far from it! They told all the other teachers and the parents that I quit as well. I think they tried to brainwash me into believing that I quit because they just kept saying it over and over to anyone who would listen...it didn't work Smile

The owner kept on lying to the last day at the labor office, still pretending that I quit but that the plane ticket and 1 million won they were giving me was some kind of generous parting gift on their part, not what the law required

One of the previous foreign teachers also got fired from this same school and they told all the kids (even the kindy kids Confused ) that she quit and was going back to the USA because she hated them all and never wanted to see them again. That would have traumatized me if I was 5 years old.

So anyway...the blatant lies really disturbed me. Kids Herald School in Cheonan...I just shake me head.

It was enjoyable to say to the owner after the whole fiasco, "Lies, lies, lies, how do you live with yourself?" She got a little embarrassed and finally said, "I don't care what you think." But I think she did Very Happy I wonder how she sleeps at night?
Squid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount you care about what other people say about you is inversely proportional to your self esteem.

Squid the sage
just because

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However squid,
A compliment to improve the self esteem never hurt anybody every now and then Smile
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squid wrote:
The amount you care about what other people say about you is inversely proportional to your self esteem.

Squid the sage

I could give a shit about what my former boss thinks about me. Is it a self esteem problem to be pissed about them for attempting to prevent you from working in Korea?

Maxxx the sabotaged
jlb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squid wrote:

I don't think I have an issue with self esteem....it was more the issue of immigration trying to kick me out of the country because if you quit (which I didn't) apparently you only have a certain amount of time before you have to leave.

Also, I wanted the one-month severance pay I was owed because they fired me without notice. By the owners of my school lying it made everything more complicated for me at the labor board and immigration and that's why I cared about it.
K-in-C

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: No pity party... (Just a rant) Reply with quote

jlb wrote:
Squid wrote: By the owners of my school lying it made everything more complicated for me at the labor board and immigration and that's why I cared about it.

I hear ya...

My heart is crying a zillion tears right now as I have decided it is best for all concerned if I give my notice.

Today when I went to work the team supervisor told me that a boy accused me of hitting him several times last night. I, swear, I did not hit this boy. My boss would not even talk to me about it. She just stormed out of the office, slamming the door behind her.

I was upset with the boy as he was talking to someone when a student was taking his turn reading. I had to repeat the correct pronunciation three times as he was not paying attention.

I wanted to ask a Korean teacher to talk to him about the situation, so I said. "Come on, let's go." He wouldn't budge so I grabbed him by the ear, gently albiet, and brought him to the office. The teacher took him into the conference room, and he started balling his eyes out and told her that he was paying attention but that another student asked what a word was and so he told her. He did not explain this to me. Regardless, she should have waited until the person was done reading and then asked what the word was.

When my boss returned she still would not talk with me. She did not accept my truth, as told to her by the team supervisor, who also did not accept my side of the story. I thought that the boy and his father should have met with us to sort the problem out, however, the fault was just put on me.

I don't believe in hitting students and my heart is in great pain because my boss found fault with me and won't even look at me anymore without disdain.

The other day I couldn't find the paper puncher, and I asked but no one seemed to know where it was so I could not put my report in the black folder. The next day the team supervisor told me that the boss was very angry about that. I wondered why she was so angry about something so trivial. Did she not think I had a reasonable explaination for not putting it in there?

Anyway, that is my rant. For the next two months I will go to work unhappy as I do not have the support and trust of my co-workers, but even worse than that, is the fact that I use to have a great relationship with my boss, but now that has all changed. Crying or Very sad

My boss has agreed to give me a letter of release, however, my character has been insulted and I am greatly offended by this. I just feel like crying at this moment.

Bye for now,

Deeply sad... Kate

P.S. I guess I'll be visiting Japan by year's end. Hmmmm, how's the weather there then?
princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always be sure to get a letter of recommendation from your boss when you leave. That will cancel out anythng bad he or she may say about you after you are gone.
Tobacco Fiend

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Shat upon by a PRESENT employer Reply with quote

Today I received a very angry email from my current part-time employer (not my main job, thank GOD!):

"You're doing me a disservice, and you're doing my students a disservice . . ."

Apparently I had overlooked one of the criteria in this lady's grading guidlines. She was paying me to grade TOEFL essays on a twice-a-week basis.

And YES, she's . . . KOREAN!

US educated, but born and bred and Korea, so of course she has no manners, no native intelligence, no common sense.

Consequently, I am threatened with TERMINATION for not having graded her latest batch of essays EXACTLY as she would have graded them herself. ("I hope this isn't the last chance we have to work together . . .")

Thank Heaven for tender mercies: My day job provides more than enough where-with-all to live on. I don't need any round-the-bend cuckoo-ga-gaa-land Korean chick paying me for bullhickey.

Moral of the story:

When an irrevocably demented Korean tries giving you guff, I say,

Ha, ha,

Ha ha HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Eff you too, you wanna-be ubermensch of the slant-eyed persuasion.

Gotta stick it to em right back.

Jesus, where did that precious old stereotype of the hyper-polite Asiatic ever come from? Sure as heck didn't come from Korea!

TF

P.S.: True moral of this story: Avoid the English Spectrum crap listings. Go with Dave's all the way!
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-in-C: I would be wondering if this is a convenient time to be coming up with excuses to get rid of you and avoid paying you a severence package and return flight. Another friend of mine was given the axe in Changwon after 11.5 months. Damn suspicious don't you think? How far are you into your contract?

Then again, I think you said that you decided to give notice so perhaps I'm off-base here.
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Shat upon by a PRESENT employer Reply with quote

Tobacco Fiend wrote:
Today I received a very angry email from my current part-time employer (not my main job, thank GOD!):

"You're doing me a disservice, and you're doing my students a disservice . . ."

Apparently I had overlooked one of the criteria in this lady's grading guidlines. She was paying me to grade TOEFL essays on a twice-a-week basis.

And YES, she's . . . KOREAN!

US educated, but born and bred and Korea, so of course she has no manners, no native intelligence, no common sense.

Consequently, I am threatened with TERMINATION for not having graded her latest batch of essays EXACTLY as she would have graded them herself. ("I hope this isn't the last chance we have to work together . . .")

Thank Heaven for tender mercies: My day job provides more than enough where-with-all to live on. I don't need any round-the-bend cuckoo-ga-gaa-land Korean chick paying me for bullhickey.

So because you weren't doing the job properly, she should have been super crazy polite? Why? She came out "hey, you're screwing up. This is how you are screwing up. Stop screwing up. Lots of love." Being blunt is not a bad thing.
K-in-C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Not the case Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
K-in-C: I would be wondering if this is a convenient time to be coming up with excuses to get rid of you and avoid paying you a severence package and return flight. Another friend of mine was given the axe in Changwon after 11.5 months. Damn suspicious don't you think? How far are you into your contract?

Then again, I think you said that you decided to give notice so perhaps I'm off-base here.

Zed, the scenerio you mentioned above is not the case. I am not getting axed. My boss and I will shake hands when I leave.

There were a few problems at the school that I was not happy about but I think mostly it is just me. I can't play the game. I don't want to be a kiddie clown. I want to be an educator.

I plan on doing post grad studies next year and I want to teach English to international college students, people who actually want to learn English. I would fair better with strictly middle school, high school, and college students. I am now looking for work in the Busan area where I can teach mainly any of the above mentioned students.

Take care,

Kate
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at my first job in korea whenever i brought a student to the vice director. the student would always try to come up with an excuse. the foreign teacher misunderstood, the foriegn teacher is wrong. THe vice director would always turn to me and say i misunderstood. I would have to insist that i was right. Sometimes several times over. fortunately he always believed me in the end. One thing you could have done is had your director talk to the rest of the class. That will almost always settle the matter in your favour. Unfortunately i think it is too later for you to do this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: