Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone hid the fact that they were previously married to

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stalinsdad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Has anyone hid the fact that they were previously married to Reply with quote

I am getting married in a few months but unfortunately I am divorced, my girlfriend understands but her family won't. If I marry I have to register with the Korean authorities and get a license. Will these sensitive and personal documents be seen by any of my in-laws if they apply for them?
Can I ask them to be covert?
If any one else has experienced this, you'll understand the importance to my would be wife and myself.
Thanks
JackSarang

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you married to a Korean before or in your home country? If in your home country, why tell he Korean licensing service you were ever married before?

No reason they need to know.
anae

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you apply for a marriage license from your embassy, you will be required to declare your previous marriages and provide evidence of your divorce(s). That paper must be taken to the registration office and stamped before taking it back to the embassy for final approval. You take that original copy for your proof of marriage back home.

Koreans don't have marriage licenses. They declare their marriages and their hojuks are updated. The woman is removed from her father's hojuk and added to her huband's. If the woman is marrying a foreigner, she starts her own hojuk and her husband is added to it.

In other words, I don't think you have to worry. You will have the paper declaring your previous marriage. You don't have your own family hojuk where all your wives would be listed. Your wife's hojuk will only include you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: