Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ajummas: are they flirting or overly friendly?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawner88

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Ajummas: are they flirting or overly friendly? Reply with quote

I ask this question because this is the second time it's happened to me. This is the latest:

I went to get my haircut, something I always dread here. I picked a new place near my home, a salon. The ajumma was completely taken off guard by me, same with her assisant. They crowded around me and spent more time asking me questions in Korean than cutting my hair. Finally, my limited Korean ran out. But no matter how many times I said "I hae moteyo," ( I don't understand) they continued to ask me again and again and again... Finally the owner ajumma called her friend who could speak English. This new woman, English name Stella, came running from across town to meet me. Huffing and puffing she sat down next to me and asked me 4,000 questions in English while my hair was being cut - painfully slowly. Finally the haircut ended with a good wash and rinse. This is where the story turns.

I wanted to leave and badly. I had already been there almost 2 hours. But Stella, who is married and has 2 sons, wanted me to eat with her and drink beer. I said no, as I wanted to go to the health club. "Oh," she said. "You use health club?" She followed me out to the hallway and asked for my number. I gave her it out of politeness and tried to go. She followed me all the way to the health club, and then to my amazement, she actually joined the health club, paying for a 3 month membership! Fortunately she didn't have any clothes with her to exericise in and finally left. That night she sent me a text message saying how happy she was to meet me. 9:00 AM next day, she's calling me. I didn't answer. She called me 3 times. Finally I answered and she asked if we could eat together that night.

That night came and she called. I tried to make a story. I said I had to go to E-mart to get a rice cooker. What a lame story, she offered to drive (which was actually convenient for me). During the ride she told me about her boring husband who is overly religious and sings gospels songs every night for 1-2 hours. She told me she wore a slip and did a salsa dance for him and he just looked at her strangely and shrugged...more stories like this followed.

Finally we got back. I got my new Cookoo Rice cooker from the trunk and other things. I shook her hand to say thanks, and she gasped, clasping my hand and saying, "I miss the feel of warm hands, and a hard body," she said looking at my chest. Then she blushed, "I sang hae?"

I chuckled and said goodbye and went home. She's called me several more times, but I live in a small town and don't need to start a scandal. I haven't answered yet. I'm not sure if I'm over reacting, or if she's really flirting with me.

This kind of thing ever happened to u?

Last edited by shawner88 on Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:06 am; edited 5 times in total
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the time Laughing
Coffeecup

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

again I ask this question for the 8th or so time, where in the **** are you guys meeting these people?

while the story seems to have authenticity and I don't say you are lying, my own personal reaction is that this is just all made up, again don't take that the wrong way but I am entitled to say what things seem to me.

I've constantly been out on the town for weeks now. I go into little shops, I bump into women all the time. Women NEVER come on to me nor anyone else I can see. At the yogwan I am staying at the owner is a women, slightly older, but has a great looking younger sister who is married. While the both of them are sweet to me, I've never been given the googly-eyes treatment even though I sometimes wish to just to have a good flirtatious feeling. How about the other day when I had to buy some shower slippers. That shop was owned by two GREAT looking sexy "ajummas" maybe late 30s, we're talking very shaply cute body, great hairstyle, even something of a chest. I am browsing through the shoes hoping she'll start up with the "do you need friend here in Korea I can be you friend." Nothing. I buy the shoes and she's glad and then they both go back to their paperwork. Oh yah they both spoke ok english, a major rarity here in Seoul.

All the damn time I am out at stores, clubs and bars sometimes, too much stuff to name. I've never been given a google-eye look perhaps even once that I could remember right now.

Quote:
and she gasped, clasping my hand and saying, "I miss the feel of warm hands, and a hard body," she said looking at my chest.

May God strike you right now by the most awful lightning bolt for thinking that this is some kind of inconvenience. Ok I'm totally joking, but please bitch slap yourself for me, will you? And in the meantime please tell me which country you are in that this stuff happens? My experience is that Korean people are anything BUT inviting and are hardly sexual at all. Oh yah and no one say "yah there's tons of sex it's just secritive," I say "bulls--t." sorry that's not a flame, it's just the fact is I have to say what I see and sense here.
shawner88

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sounds like you may be living in a big city. These things have only happened to me in Geoje-do, Ulsan, and nowhere-dong, where I currently live. In Seoul, I hardly got a second look out and about. Also, people who live in nowhere-dong tend to be a little weirder than the average ( me included.)
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffeecup wrote:
My experience is that Korean people are anything BUT inviting and are hardly sexual at all. Oh yah and no one say "yah there's tons of sex it's just secritive," I say "bulls--t." sorry that's not a flame, it's just the fact is I have to say what I see and sense here.

I've said it before (but not as bluntly), if you can't find any here you probably couldn't get laid in a reform school for girls.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffee cup, if you really want it, I can clasp your hand, look deep into your smouldering eyes, and breathlessly tell you how I miss the touch of a warm hand, and the feel of a hard body next to me. How's that?
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good god coffee cup you need to relax. its not as if everyday korean women are throwing themselves at the various male memembers of this forum. You Can't expect to be beating the women off of you with a stick from the time you get off the plane to the time you get back on. Perhaps your constant desire to get laid is sending of creepy vibes that are turning off all the women. Maybe they don't like your hair cut or the clothes you wear.

shawner she seems to be flirting. If it is a small town and rumours about you will spread faster than wild fire. People will notice you two together. YOu have three options that I can think of:
one ignore her.
two let her down gently, one possibility; tell her you have a girlfriend even if you have to make up a girlfriend, even if she lives in another town and remember you are headover heals in love and 100% faithful.
three tell her to f off and that you never want to see her again.
there is a fourth and that is have an afair with her.
which ever way goodluck.
Coffeecup

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawner
Quote:
In Seoul, I hardly got a second look out and about.

that might be a good point. I am scheduled tentatively to go to Pusan this week, but from all the misleading stuff I've read about Seoul and then seeing it isn't so, I highly doubt Pusan is going to be any different. Again even there as well, it's wall to wall military guys flooding every bar and scr*wing up the foreigner name, I highly doubt Pusaners are going to have any different perspective than Soeulites as far as these issues are concerned.

beaver
Quote:
if you can't find any[thing] here you probably couldn't get laid in a reform school for girls.

Ok the big difference is in what you said: "ANYONE" or "ANYTHING." Ok, yah sure I guess you could find something that couldn't even be referred to as attractive if she were the last woman in the world. I've seen a few of these acne-faces around, they usually have 3 or so military guys more desperate than anyone else waiting for some slobber. Otherwise so far this country is NOT filled with waiting and available women of various flavors.
peppermint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffeecup, baby. These things don't happen all the time. If it was an everyday, normal occurence people wouldn't post about it. You'll notice that the girls don't post such stories about ajosshis. Unless I'm exceptional, I'd say that these types of occurences happen far too often to the women here.

Don't expect that every woman in the country is just dying for a foreign man, despite the myth, it's just not true. There's lots more Korean women than foreign men, so it can seem that way at times, I guess.

Basically, be open and friendly when you're in public, don't expect to get approached in a sexual way, and you'll meet people who want to hang out with you to learn English. You might not want to hang out with all of them, but there will probably be a few that are cool.

Korean people don't generally flirt in the same way as North Americans. Their style is much more subtle generally. As you make friends with Korean people you'll see that, and just an understanding of how the cultures are so different will help.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I miss the feel of warm hands, and a hard body,"

That's some pretty smooth colloquial English there dude. Then you say "I wonder if she is flirting"...

...nice troll try.
Coffeecup

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulsanchris
Quote:
coffee cup you need to relax.

I am a naturally relaxed guy. But I am saying that there's very little of anything going on.

Peppermint
Quote:
Basically, be open and friendly when you're in public, don't expect to get approached in a sexual way, and you'll meet people who want to hang out with you to learn English.

Ok thanks for the explanation. But sticking to the topic of the op I will say that even in this sense, i.e. "I'd like to be your friend" or "we could be language partners" I've received so little of that, that for right now I can't remember anything like it yet. Ok walking through a university the other day and a guy and a girl were jetting past me and quickly said "hello," my reflexes caused me to say "hi!" back, but they still kept walking and moreover they both busted up laughing really loud. It was like "wow we got the foreigner to talk" but not "hey maybe we could make a friend." And had I turned around and tried to talk to them even more, it was apparent I would have appeared as some kind of stalker...

Again, very little of even the "let's be friends" thing, and I'm just stating it like it is and how each day is.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffeecup wrote:
beaver
Quote:
if you can't find any[thing] here you probably couldn't get laid in a reform school for girls.

Ok the big difference is in what you said: "ANYONE" or "ANYTHING." Ok, yah sure I guess you could find something that couldn't even be referred to as attractive if she were the last woman in the world. I've seen a few of these acne-faces around, they usually have 3 or so military guys more desperate than anyone else waiting for some slobber. Otherwise so far this country is NOT filled with waiting and available women of various flavors.

The truth is I've been out of action for a few years (actually, pathetically, for the better part of a decade) but as I remember and as I experience vicariously through my friends:
1. Korea is the only country I know (not saying there aren't more, but the only one I know) where you can reasonably expect to meet and exchange numbers with women on the street, in coffee shops, in the subway, or pretty much anywhere.
2. I've had more than one friend (4 off the top of my head but likely more) who has been awakened at night by a phone call or a knock on the door by a barely known woman, and entered into Night of the Naked Tango.
3. Military guys? Get out of Itaewon and go someplace where foreigners aren't as pervasive.
4. Waiting and available? In Korea 'available' is relative -- a husband or a boyfriend does not affect the availablity of a good chunk of the female population. Waiting? Some are, but you have to play it right. A little Korean goes a long way, and a lot of Korean goes for-frickin'-ever. A smile never hurts and putting a smile on her face is as good as a foot in bed.
Happy hunting, and as I live vicariously, post your successes.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajummas are all sex starved. Trust me on this one...
Coffeecup

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the beaver
Quote:
where you can reasonably expect to meet and exchange numbers with women on the street, in coffee shops, in the subway, or pretty much anywhere.

And I've found this to be of the complete opposite. Bascialy my impression is that Korea exists in two and only two zones: public, and bars/social scenes. In public, there are always people all over the place, everywhere coming out of every alley and from out of every subway staircase. Any false move you make as a foreigner (i.e. doing anything other than walking in a straight zombie line) is considered psychotic and amounts to someone of the likes of Jeffrey Dauhmer. End of case: you do anything like talk to someone and every last person in the train car has to look over at you and will not stop staring until you've completely gotten off of the train, and then they will stare at you out of the car window as it pulls out. The idea of chatting up a girl in public in Korea is non-existent from all that I can see...... Place #2, very simple: bars, chatting girls is definately accepted, but the girls have the right to give snide snearing looks and if you persist all she has to do is glance over at the buffoons known as doormen and you're possibly out of there.

Quote:
Military guys? Get out of Itaewon and go someplace where foreigners aren't as pervasive.

Still wondering where this great place(s) is in Seoul or Korea. I've walked through Sinchon several nights now, the place that is supposedly less foreign than Hongdae/itaewon. Still it's like you don't even exist, except for maybe once the whole night a carful of GUYS will stop and say "Hiiiiiiii" as though they can't even pronounce it correctly. Women there are also definately not interested, hardly a glance. It's almost kind of like "this is our territory, we don't need to look at you" about 98% of the time. The other 2% is just for mockery "haha the foreigner."

Quote:
A smile never hurts

Tried every tactic, smiles don't seem to work any better than the straight face. And again, if as a foreigner you so much as take one step toward another Korean, it's about enough to get you arrested. There's no way you can go up and get the phone number without a small mob forming.

whatthe
Quote:
Ajummas are all sex starved.

I've always assumed this would be so and as such have always thought they would be a great alternative for flirtation or the likes, but they too seem to do nothing of all the stuff I've read about "putting their hands on you while talking" or wanting to befriend you individually (i.e. go place where no one else is). I've found them too to be just as anal retentive as any other generation, and believe me if anyone has a good radar screen it would be me.

Last edited by Coffeecup on Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Blue Flower

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffeecup wrote:
Place #2, very simple: bars, chatting girls is definately accepted, but the girls have the right to give snide snearing looks and if you persist all she has to do is glance over at the buffoons known as doormen and you're possibly out of there.

You're goddamned right they "have the right" to get rid of you if they find your attentions unpleasant. Jesus Christ! You are one sad, paranoid, Loser. Just fucken deal with it. Of course people are gonna stare at you, you look different, i get stared at every day. Ajosshis think they have the right to stare at my bre asts, ogle me, openly, in front of everyone, it is repugnant. Sometimes they even touch me. They do it to Korean women too, just not as openly. I find it incredibly offensive, and totally sexist that you would think I didn't have the right to say that I don't like being stared at like that, don't touch me, etc.

If you want to pick a chick up on the train, bus, whatever, do it. Who cares what the other people do, you're never gonna see them again anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: