Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long are your classes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jajdude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: How long are your classes? Reply with quote

Most of mine now are 25 minutes, with elementary kids. Pretty short. A little book, workbook, maybe a little game, class over. I like it but some kids aren't learning much at twice a week. The other hour is with the two Korean teachers. Small academy.
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 minutes each. Not too bad, sometimes seems too short, sometimes like an eternity. Not a bad length for elementary kids I think, though my students do five of them in a night (twice a week) so are pretty worn out sometimes.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My classes range from between 20 and 45 minutes. 20 minutes is a waste of time. The kids barely have their books out before I'm out the door.

CLG
camel96

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most are 50 minutes. I have a few every week that are 90 minutes. It's really hard to keep a 6 year old's attention for that long. You've gotta have a lot of work and activities prepared and chop and change pretty regularly to stop them getting bored and ratty.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! My class time was shortened from 45 to 35 minutes, because I received some new classes. So now my lone lesson with each of my 26 classes only lasts 35 minutes. I thought it might work if the Korean teachers reviewed my material for students' comprehension, but I'm feeling like a dolt at this point.
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

night classes at my school are between 90 and 120 minutes. It's an absolute nightmare. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to get a single shy ajuma to talk for 120 minutes?
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either 27.5 minutes or 55 minutes, and I teach mostly elementary school kids with some middle school. I have the 27.5 minute classes every day, and I think this works pretty well. 55 minutes, 2 or 3 days a week, is a bit long for elementary school children's attention spans. With the younger kids they are crawling the walls and I am putting their books back on their desks after 45 minutes.
Howard Roark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I had all 40 minute classes. This year I have 50 minute classes (at a different school).
just because

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 minutes.
I think someone said it, that sometimes it just isn't long enough and sometimes it's an eternity. Just depends on the students.
Kyrei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine at the university are 110 minutes, once a week. Hardly enough time to really get them to improve speaking, but enough for other skills development.

Kyrei
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint wrote:
night classes at my school are between 90 and 120 minutes. It's an absolute nightmare. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to get a single shy ajuma to talk for 120 minutes?

Been there, done that. Favorite job I've had thus far. It helps if you're a dashing young man, of course.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach kids two or three times a week at 40 minutes per class. 40 minutes is a good time......but twice a week is not often enough.
katydid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uni classes for me range between 90 minutes (no break) to 100 minutes (10 minute break after 50 minutes). The hagwan type classes I teach run between 70 and 110 minutes. I have one 110 minute class that meets twice a week and 2 70 minute classes that run three times a week. The biggest problems are in the 110 minute class...I only have two students and they are above the level of the book, so we do some free talking but I feel we aren't doing enough. I can't talk with them straight through for 110 minutes, and the book is a little remedial (boring) for them. So I'm plugging along as best as I can with that. God help me if only one woman shows up to class at some point. I'd be tempted to say, screw it, let's go to a coffee shop.
The 70 minute adult class is good, but I have a 70 minute children's class as well, which I think is waaaaaay too long for any kid to sit still and be interested.
Our school also has a 110 minute middle school class, which I have taught before. I found breaking up the class into different activities, maybe one hour book and one hour review/supplementary activities always worked out well for me.
Derrek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the most wonderful situation in Korea, I think. And it works (for kindie):

I teach 24 students as a group for 20 minutes. There are 3 other Korean teachers in the class to help with crowd control. After that, each teacher takes six students and has a fun learning activity. I teach English to my group of 6 students for another 25 minutes. Then we rotate the groups so that i've taught all students for a total of 45 minutes that day.

So for the first 20 minutes, I'm teaching something, then the next 25 minutes, I try to revisit the concept with some activity, or paperwork they can handle. The whole class lasts about 2 hours total. My second class (after they feed me lunch for 1 hour 20 mins) is the same situation, but with three groups and a shorter class. Then I go home.

I love my school.
rapier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st hakwon: all classes 55mins (too long)
2nd hakwon: all classes 50 mins (too long)
Present hakwon: All classes 35 mins (perfect) except kindy-45 mins (too long)!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: