Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems at Canada Customs/Immigration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eunoia

Location: In a seedy karakoe bar by the banks of the mighty Bosphorus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Problems at Canada Customs/Immigration Reply with quote

About two years ago, my (Korean) girlfriend came to visit me in Canada while I was there taking some time off. When she arrived in Vancouver, she had problems with Immigration; they basically hauled her into the interrogation office and questioned her for about 90 minutes before allowing her into the country. She was travelling alone, didn't have an address of where she was staying (a hotel in Vancouver for a few days, then she would come to my hometown and stay with me - but she didn't tell them that she was visiting her bf for some reason...) Her English skills weren't so hot at the time, and it was very traumatic for her. They really made her feel dirty, like some kind of criminal. All she wanted was a holiday!

Now, we are planning a trip back to Canada for Christmas together with my family this year, and she is extremely worried about getting through Immigration again. This time, of course, I will be with her. The question is, what are the odds that her passport is "flagged", that they will try to interrogate her again? If so, what recourse do I/we have? Will they separate us to get her alone again? She really can't handle that kind of (fascist) treatment again, and I would be *extremely* pi$$ed off about it as well.

Any thoughts?
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have her tell the truth. "I'm going to this destination for this reason."

The only reason they would care otherwise is because Korean's can enter Canada without a visa, and then there has been a problem with some of them literally walking across the border into the U.S. in places. They are probably just wanting to make sure that wasn't her plan.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one experience (positive):

My wife and I went through Canadian customs last February and had no problems whatsoever. I was with her. Perhaps that makes all the difference.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She'll have no problem. Why? Because she left the country without any problems; no overstay. When she enters Canada again, immigration will know this is another visit. Even if you are with her it won't help much; when clearing immigration citizens and foreigners use different areas to clear immigration. Once you clear immigration, you can't hang around waiting for her. The man will tell you to move it on out to customs and wait for her outside.

Last edited by hellofaniceguy on Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
JackSarang

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada Customs Officials are trained to be a-holes it seems. They treat me like a criminal every single time I return from abroad, regardless of where I'm coming back from and I'm a friggin citizen. I get grilled as if I was smuggling missiles or something.

No-where in the world have I been treated worse or more rudely than by Canada Customs.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
She'll have no problem. Why? Because she left the country without any problems; no overstay. When she enters Canada again, immigration will know this another visit. Even if you are with her it won't help much; when clearing immigration citizens and foreigners use different areas to clear immigration. Once you clear immigration, you can't hang around waiting for her. The man will tell you to move it on out to customs and wait for her outside.

Not in Canada, when I flew into Vancouver with my wife last year we were in the same line. BTW we have had no problems both times we went to Canada.
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been back to Canada since before 911. Are they a lot more anal at Customs these days? Before that I've even flashed just my birth certificate coming back from Korea and it was no problem.
TECO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention this.

I went home back in 2001 - a month after 9/11, I think.

I too was grilled at the Customs gate in Vancouver airport - "why were you in Japan?"; "Why are you coming back to Canada?"; "Where are you staying?"; "How long are you staying for?"

I was like, "Man, I'm a citizen and I don't know when I'll be leaving the country again and for now I'll be visiting family and freinds!!"

I was tired and had been on a plane all night coming home from Japan.

So, I finally asked the guy why he was taking so long and if there was some kind of problem. He said, "That's what I'm trying to find out." That freaked me a bit but I have never had any trouble with Police, etc or done anything to worry about, so I just stood there waiting for the guy to let me pass. After what seemed like a good 3 or 4 minutes of him playing with his computer he let me through.

I remember being quite pissed off, actually.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm delinquent on my Federal Student Loan and because Customs Canada is a branch of Revenue Canada, I'm guessing my name was flagged as owing Rev. Canada money.
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackSarang wrote:
Canada Customs Officials are trained to be a-holes it seems. They treat me like a criminal every single time I return from abroad, regardless of where I'm coming back from and I'm a friggin citizen. I get grilled as if I was smuggling missiles or something.

No-where in the world have I been treated worse or more rudely than by Canada Customs.

The beauty of profiling.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackSarang wrote:

You obviously haven't experienced US custom's officials. THEY are the worst in the world, especially post 9/11. You don't have to open all your bags in Canada, or take off your shoes. If you are a little snooty with a Canadian Official, they aren't like the American's who will basically say, tell me what I want to hear or your getting back on the plane.

And to the OP, you shouldn't have problems if you stand beside her. If you really want to make things go smoothly, just say she's your wife, you just married in Korea, and you are going to visit your folks.

Just don't go through the states with her - had a VERY bad experience with that and my Korean wife.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: