Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English horoscope and Asian horoscope

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Medic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: English horoscope and Asian horoscope Reply with quote

Is there any correspondence between the star signs of Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquaries, and Pisces, and the Chinese horocope of the Rat, Horse, Dog, Snake, Monkey, Goat, Pig, Dragon, Chicken etc etc.

I seem to remember seeing such a thing a while ago.
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also have a horoscope question. when determining what my sign is on the chinese zodiac, if my birthday falls in between the eastern and western new years, which year do i use to determine my sign? i thought it was obvious that i'd go with the eastern year, but my (then) korean girlfriend insisted that i had to go by the western calandar. i think she just liked the thought of me being a snake rather than a dragon. granted, my own motivations were similar for arguing with her. mind you, i'm not one to really buy into the powers of zodiacs and what have you, but the idea of being a dragon is much more appealing than that of being a snake.
Ody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

endofthewor1d wrote:
i also have a horoscope question. when determining what my sign is on the chinese zodiac, if my birthday falls in between the eastern and western new years, which year do i use to determine my sign? i thought it was obvious that i'd go with the eastern year, but my (then) korean girlfriend insisted that i had to go by the western calandar. i think she just liked the thought of me being a snake rather than a dragon. granted, my own motivations were similar for arguing with her. mind you, i'm not one to really buy into the powers of zodiacs and what have you, but the idea of being a dragon is much more appealing than that of being a snake.

you would be a dragon, not a snake, by the lunar calendar.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

endofthewor1d wrote:
i also have a horoscope question. when determining what my sign is on the chinese zodiac, if my birthday falls in between the eastern and western new years, which year do i use to determine my sign?

You have to go by the Eastern calendar (for the year you were born, mind you).
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ody wrote:

I'm wondering how you can know this without knowing End of the World's birth year? [no sarcasm, I'm honestly wondering if I've forgotten to take some factor into consideration].
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: English horoscope and Asian horoscope Reply with quote

Medic wrote:
Is there any correspondence between the star signs of Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquaries, and Pisces, and the Chinese horocope of the Rat, Horse, Dog, Snake, Monkey, Goat, Pig, Dragon, Chicken etc etc.

I seem to remember seeing such a thing a while ago.

I don't see how there could be since they operate on different timeframes:
For example in any given dragon year in the Chinese zodiac there are going to be taurus dragons, leo dragons, gemini dragons, scorpio dragons etc.

But there ARE going to be coincidental (or perhaps not so coincidental?) overlaps- for example I am a sheep (or goat, depending on who is doing the translating) and I am a Capricorn. Are Sagittarius and Horse supposed to be of similar temperament? I have no idea.

[I also have this funny birthmark that looks like a 3 digit number, but I suppose that's a story for another thread.]
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
Ody wrote:

I'm wondering how you can know this without knowing End of the World's birth year? [no sarcasm, I'm honestly wondering if I've forgotten to take some factor into consideration].

i think he took for granted that i had looked up the information before writing my original post and before debating the issue with my girlfriend (at the time.) and rightly so. by the western calandar, i was born in 77. in the east, it was still 76. woo hoo! i'm a dragon!
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, trumpet. i was right. now if only i still had a girlfriend to argue about it with...
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ody

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

posco's trumpet wrote:
well.... at least now you (and everybody else) can get their animals straight. I went from being a Tiger to being an Ox.

my husband went from being a scorpio to a sagitarious. it all makes SO much sense now!
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Asians are one year old when they are born, I wonder why the Chinese calander is not based on the year that one is conceived. Often, as in my case, conception year (the year my egg was layed Laughing ) and birthday (the day I hatched Laughing) are not the same year. However, unfortunately, I was conceived a dog and born a pig. BUT I AM A CHICKEN. Not a dog Evil or Very Mad not a pig Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: