Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aussies - Why did you leave Australia?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Why did you leave Australia?
Because I'm up myself
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Because John Howard sux
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Because Australia sux
33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Because people think I'm up myself
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Just Because
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 12

Mashimaro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because wrote:
i have an uncle who is collecting 3 pensions while I was slaving my ass off so I dobbed him in.

that is hilarious! good on you! Laughing
wormholes101

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Aussie for 6 months but I left because it sucked... Wink... especially at rugby Laughing Yeah... Australia sucks Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing BIGTIME~
jaebea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the triangular one day cricket tournament in India at the moment.

Australia, India and New Zealand, who are imho, the best one day sides in the world at the moment.

Australia tumbled to a loss against India after a stupid middle order collapse, and truth to tell, I don't think we're likely to win considering the lack of bowling depth. Lehmann is out and Bevan hasn't bowled in years.

One spinner. On the subcontinent. Do the math and you'll see that NZ will probably end up on top, if Tendulkar can be contained. :)

jae.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, if I was Aussie, I'd say I left because of the spiders that sit under the toilet seat waiting to bite you on the nads
denz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Beckerson wrote:
Personally, if I was Aussie, I'd say I left because of the spiders that sit under the toilet seat waiting to bite you on the nads

girls like that can be found in every country.
Starperson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop calling it 'Aussie'!
A person from Australia is an Aussie.
Or, 'an Aussie bbq'.
It's like us calling New Zealand, Zealy, or something. Geez.

Anyway whatever.
The reason I've always had itchy feet being in Australia is that I just found everything so average. So normal. Nothing exotic. We're not exotic in any way. I also found that people were pretty materialistic and it got on my nerves. However, since coming to Korea I've found that it's probably the same most places.

Okay here are some things that annoy me about Australia:
1 - the average person's attitude to indigenous Australians and everything about them, past and present, is completely and utterly ignorant.

2 - the education system doesn't do much to fix this

3 - it's a bit far away from the rest of the world

4 - ....................can't think of anything else. You guys just don't like Johnny's eyebrows.

Things I like about Oz:

1 - for the most part they know how to conserve the environment. They don't stick colourful banners all through national parks.

2 - there are lots of different coloured-people.

3 - it's a bit far away from the rest of the world.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starperson wrote:
Stop calling it 'Aussie'!
A person from Australia is an Aussie.
Or, 'an Aussie bbq'.
It's like us calling New Zealand, Zealy, or something. Geez..

We already have a nick-name for New Zealanders:

Unemployed!

*Ba-dump!*
Plastic B

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm...one of the reasons for leaving Oz was glaringly omitted from your poll. On the run from federal authorities. Not that I am. Nope. Not me. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
YiSunSin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hadeshorn wrote:

I resent the higher taxes.
I resent the incompetent politicians.
I resent the overwhelming amount of laws governing personal safety (IF I WANT A FIRECRACKER! I WILL GO OUT AND BUY ONE AND IF I BLOW OFF MY HAND THEN ITS MY OWN *beep* FAULT)
I resent the expensive lifestyle (Eg housing has gone thru the roof back home)
I resent our alliance with the US in the whole IRAQ debacle.
I resent that the government lied to us in regards to Asylum seekers
I resent how the education system is slowly being strangled back home
I resent how the private health insurance scheme is slowly getting more expensive as well.

Amen (not so sure about the whole "poor people" thing - think it's a bit misguided). Sydney is so expensive to live in. If you want to work a basic 9-5, get married, get a house and not much else then it's a great place. If you want to be involved with anything outside of finance, accounting and what not and create your own business/innovations then it is tough.

I've started to resent Sydney a bit lately. Beautiful city but the energy seems lacking.

But you have to admit when you fly into Mascto airport having been overseas, damn it feels good.

Last edited by YiSunSin on Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
YiSunSin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Beckerson wrote:

Damn, for someone who has quoted Masta Ace in their signature you're quick to resort to simple-minded American-centric stereotypes. Go eat a hamburger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YiSunSin wrote:
William Beckerson wrote:

Damn, for someone who has quoted Masta Ace in their signature you're quick to resort to simple-minded American-centric stereotypes. Go eat a hamburger.

He's not an American though.

The USA isn't the center of the world, there are other countries and nationalities out there too.
just because

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1 - the average person's attitude to indigenous Australians and everything about them, past and present, is completely and utterly ignorant.

I would have to say i fall into this category and am to quick to stereotype. A few years of travelling the world has given me a different perspective and mindset of things. Definantly a lot more tolerant now.
Starperson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

just because wrote:
"I would have to say i fall into this category and am to quick to stereotype. A few years of travelling the world has given me a different perspective and mindset of things. Definantly a lot more tolerant now."

That's good. It's so easy to stereotype when you're ignorant about things. Which most Australians are when it comes to indigenous people. All I learnt in school was, "Oh what a cute little bark hut" and was shown that picture of the black man and the white man hanging from a tree. I guess that was to show there was a bit of fighting. Pity they don't tell the whole story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: