Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Workout Supplements
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Temporary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vertical loser wrote:
Fair enough if it works for ya, Temp.

I'm a minimalist, myself (a bit off topic here). I got priorities outside the gym at my age. I like the matrix system because it is short and intense, and I rotate it with conventional weights and a bit of running. When I do conventional weights I do the whole body in one routine, no more than once a week ( i.e once conventional and once matrix every 7-9 days). I figure it's better for recovery. I go for intensity, not volume e.g. I often do only ONE set TOTAL for biceps, one for triceps. I find that's enough with the intensity of doing back and chest matrix routines on my other days. If you ever tried having to do ten chins with body weight (100kg in my case) with only ten seconds rest after just doing 42 reps of machine pulldowns and 35 reps of rows, you will know what having fried arms is all about (along with lats, of course). I'm not into overtraining. I do no more than 2.5 - 3 hours of weights a week total (spread over three days).

Yeah I was in a bind I was morbidly obesse and having history of heart problems in my family I had to change. I do a lot of chinups actually. I bet you would hand my ass on plate if it came to sheer strength.. I am not that strong.. But If you wanted sheer power not very many people will match me and that goes for muscular endurance. I do mostly body weight excercises. People need to figure out what works for them there is no magic formula. I rest on the weekends and eat like no tomorow and still loose weight.

I am here to pay of my loans and save enough money so I can go back to school for couple years.. I don't care about anything else (as far culture and intimate relationships go)..

I figured out what works for me.. Just ask the guy that I fought couple weeks back, he ended up with a broken nose and a cracked rib. Razz
Thunndarr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of bodybuilding is nutrition. Where most people fail is not the 1 hour a day they spend in the gym, but somewhere in the other 23 hours they are not at the gym (I include myself.)

Anyway, I'm in the gram/pound/day protein camp, but I find it is almost impossible for me to get that much protein out of even protein shakes, and would be totally impossible (not to mention prohibitively expensive) to consume that much food.
travel zen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love bodybuilding. I also take protein supplements and they work for me Very Happy I do notice a difference, but a good diet will help more.

There was a study about the ancient Roman soldiers and what they ate. The debate was that they ate mostly veggies and not meats when they trained in camps, and this gave them an edge over the 'barbarian' meat eaters in terms of strentgh and staying power....
Suwoner10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-BCAA
-Fish Oil
-Flax Seed Oil
-Animal Pak Multi's
-Whey Protein

On Keto
Suwoner10

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travel zen wrote:

There was a study about the ancient Roman soldiers and what they ate. The debate was that they ate mostly veggies and not meats when they trained in camps, and this gave them an edge over the 'barbarian' meat eaters in terms of strentgh and staying power....

Hmmm...my thesis topic, and strangely, never heard this. Link?
Temporary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunndarr wrote:
90% of bodybuilding is nutrition. Where most people fail is not the 1 hour a day they spend in the gym, but somewhere in the other 23 hours they are not at the gym (I include myself.)

Anyway, I'm in the gram/pound/day protein camp, but I find it is almost impossible for me to get that much protein out of even protein shakes, and would be totally impossible (not to mention prohibitively expensive) to consume that much food.

I agree 100% I am not bodybuilder but I agree with you I just can't eat that much food and it would be to expensive.. Shakes for the win Smile

laogaiguk

Sorry I didn't mean to be an ass.. I knew you were talking about Men's Health mag.. I'm sorry that has to be one OF THE WORST sources for fitness I have ever read. Some of the worst advice I have ever read came from that tabloidesque grabage print.
Pink Freud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 months left wrote:
Protein is a necessary building block for muscles; however, resistance exercises are the main component for increasing strength. Protein is
used in our bodies to repair muscle after a workout but the amount of
protein consumed is not necessarily related to the amount of muscle in
our body. Eating more protein will not miraculously increase your
muscle size or strength.

For the average person or athlete, protein supplements are a waste of money. Not only can you easily consume the same amount of protein through whole foods, but you also benefit from other vitamins and minerals found in that food. These nutrients are also important for sport performance. Calcium, which is found in large amounts in milk and dairy products, is important for muscle contraction and bone health. Similarly iron, found in red meat, lentils and enriched grain products, is important for oxygen delivery to the muscles.

Take home message: For the extra money spent on protein supplements and the courage it takes to tolerate their taste, they are not worth buying.
http://www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/healthinfo//pdfs/Protein2.pdf

This publication is extremely misleading, as it is based on several false assumptions:

1)Taking protein supplements and eating a balanced diet of whole foods are mutually exclusive.

Most people who are serious about training are also serious about nutrition, and are conscious not only about caloric intake, but also nutritional intake, and therefore take protein to COMPLEMENT, not replace their regular diet. So one eats eggs, fish, chicken, beef, dairy, etc, as well as drinking protein shakes at regular times during the day.

2) The cost analysis of protein sources compares an overpriced supplement (Power bars at 2.99 for 24g of protein) with an underpriced one(a can of tuna at .99 for 23 g of protein).

In fact, an average protein powder like ON Whey isolates, costs about .40 for 24g of protein. So the whey protein costs between one third and half the price of the can of tuna (by the way, when's the last time you paid .99 for a can of tuna?)

3) Protein supplements taste bad.

Not mine. Double rich chocolate, mixed with either low-fat milk, soy milk or strong iced coffee (mid afternoon). Just right.

On another note, I think this thread is about nutritional supplements, not who has the most rigorous workout, or who is the internet tough-guy champ.

For me:

Protein shakes (ON Whey isolates)
Flax seed oil
Fish oil
Wheat germ
Multi-vitamin
Glucosamine
Creatine
Beer
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink Freud wrote:
Beer

Laughing

I notice a lot of you take glutamine- does it work really well for you? If so, in what sense?
Temporary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like GLutamine I find it that my CNS needs shorter amount of tie to recover from day to day.
travel zen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmmm...my thesis topic, and strangely, never heard this. Link?

I saw it on a television show about 2 years ago Sad Good thesis though Very Happy
sargx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to take:

Protein
Creatine
Glutamine

Since I'm also trying to lose weight I'd probably add:
Biotest Hot-Rox since the fall of ECA stacks.
Temporary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sargx wrote:
I prefer to take:

Protein
Creatine
Glutamine

Since I'm also trying to lose weight I'd probably add:
Biotest Hot-Rox since the fall of ECA stacks.

Hot Rox are awsome.. I am expecting them next week.
Chillin' Villain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeat for emphasis the posts about food as first and foremost. I'm about 190 lbs and go for about 200 g of protein a day, almost entirely from tuna and chicken braeasts. It gets boring once in a while, but seasonings can mix it up a bit, and I have lean beef a couple times a week, too. I stick almost entirely to brown carb sources (rice, bread, oatmeal, pasta), which is not super-easy to do here, but certainly possible.

That out of the way, I do like to tinker with the supplements, too. They certainly make a difference to me, as I have taken a month off from them now and then and, placebo effect or not, I can feel it.

Morning
- ISS Multivitamin Pack (not all that different from Animal Pak for 1/2 price)
- a couple fish oil capsules

Pre-WO
- BCAAs
- 1 scoop ON Gold Standard whey
- a bunch of freeze-dried coffee in cold water (I used to drink NO-Xplode or NO Shotgun for the same purpose, but find a double dose of coffee does exactly the same thing for cheaper.)

Mid-WO
- more BCAAs if I feel like it

Post- WO
- 5 grams creatine mono with grape juice (where can I buy bulk dextrose??)
- 2 scoops ON Gold Standard whey
- BCAAs

Before bed
- 1 scoop of ON Casein protein (I WOULD have some cottage cheese at this time if I could get it readily here, but unfortunately that's not reality)
- a couple more fish oils

Throughout the day
- glutamine in 5 gram helpings, depending on how much I feel like it (trying out glut for the first time this month, have yet to pass judgement)

I'm definitely all for getting almost all of my nutrition through food, but for pre and post-WO, liquid protein is going to be absorbed fastest. I also take breaks from creatine now and then just to see how much my lifting has progressed WITHOUT it. Although strength certainly goes down without it, it helps bust through plateaus and you usually end up higher than if you hadn't taken the stuff.

Anyone have an opinion on CLA? I'm working on burning off some fat these days, and although the diet changes have been going well, I'm wondering if I should give it a try.
vertical loser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are way more serious about supplements than I am. I've got some protein power sitting on my kitchen cupboard, but can't work up the courage to chew through it - looks and tastes like dog poo to me. I never really took it in the past anyway, and always managed to put on weight when I wanted. Creatine works, but as soon as you stop you lose the gains. Anyway, I wouldn't really call myself a bodybuilder. I work out these days because I enjoy the discipline more than anything, then to keep in shape, and to keep healthy - as I mentioned I use light weights for most days, and rest only a few seconds between sets. When I get out of the gym, I don't want to be thinking weight training, and I don't want to be thinking "I gotta eat this to get fuller pecs" or some such madness. Those days are long behind me. So I eat light - lots of fruit and veg, and a bit of protein.
samd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vertical loser wrote:
I've got some protein power sitting on my kitchen cupboard, but can't work up the courage to chew through it - looks and tastes like dog poo to me. ...

Creatine works, but as soon as you stop you lose the gains.

You're taking the wrong stuff. Mine tastes good enough for me to look forward to my shakes even after drinking them thrice daily for over a year.

Creatine gains lost when you stop taking it? What?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: