Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Washington State legalizes marijuana
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Washington State legalizes marijuana Reply with quote

Bloomberg News: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-07/washington-is-first-state-to-allow-pot-s-recreational-use.html

-------------
Washington voters approved a ballot measure to legalize marijuana for recreational use, making it the first U.S. state to decriminalize the practice.

Initiative 502 was winning 55.5 percent to 44.5 percent, with half of the ballots counted, according to the Associated Press. The measure allows those at least 21 years old to buy as much as one ounce (28 grams) of marijuana from a licensed retailer.

Washington was one of six states with marijuana on its ballot. Voters in Colorado and Oregon also are weighing ballot measures legalizing recreational use of pot. In Massachusetts, voters approved a measure to legalize marijuana for medical use, which is already allowed in 17 states and the District of Columbia. Montana and Arkansas voters are also weighing measures dealing with the medical use of marijuana.

The Washington measure may generate as much as $1.9 billion in state revenue over five fiscal years, according to the state�s Office of Financial Management. Federal prosecutors last year cracked down on the industry in states including California, where clinic landlords were threatened with jail time if they didn�t evict the shops. California was the first state to allow medical-marijuana use when voters approved a 1996 ballot measure.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is an ounce? Isn't that kinda a lot?
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for Washington. There's still the federal issue, since they keep busting dispensaries in California.

KimchiNinja wrote:
How much is an ounce? Isn't that kinda a lot?

Depends on the person.
Drew10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colorado also legalized it.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/336356

Quote:
Adults age 21 and over may now legally purchase up to 1 ounce (28 grams) of marijuana from state-licensed stores. The cultivation of up to six cannabis plants is also now permitted. Public use of the drug is forbidden. Local governments can ban the sale of marijuana and employers can still prohibit employees from using it.

davai!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally some sensible policy for a change. Pot is way less harmful than tobacco or alcohol.
fosterman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok it's been legalized, so does this mean now the ffeds can't arrest people?
Drew10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
ok it's been legalized, so does this mean now the ffeds can't arrest people?

It's still federally illegal and since federal laws trump state laws people can still be prosecuted under federal law.

Basically the ball is in the feds' court, and they've been pretty silent on the issue so far.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now to wait for the truckloads of BC-bud to hit the Peace Arch...
lol

Bet there will be a booming business selling sea kayaks next spring.

Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrapped in my binky
Sucking my pinkie
Entranced by American Idol

While meanwhile its storming
And the smart ones are warning
And resisting the government's bridle

But Ill pay them no mind
It'll get better this time
The liberals have promised this plenty

Obama has hope
And I have my dope
Where's my bong ? It's almost 4:20
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unfortunate...alcohol causes more deaths......and yet...our elected idiots can't get their heads out of their butts and make weed legal! Go figure!
Some of these elected officials have toked and still do... a bunch Of sanctimonious two faced hypocrites.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could really snowball. The game may be up for prohibition. Assuming this actually gets a chance at working at generates good revenue, expect it to be on several more ballots in 2014 and a good chance that at the federal level they may just throw their hands up and send the issue back to the states.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
This could really snowball. The game may be up for prohibition. Assuming this actually gets a chance at working at generates good revenue, expect it to be on several more ballots in 2014 and a good chance that at the federal level they may just throw their hands up and send the issue back to the states.

I think that Obama will likely let this happen.

Remember, he was one of the biggest potheads at his university, and I am not the least bit kidding, nor am I saying that with a political bend. It's just simply true, and there are loads of articles about it. Just look up "Obama Choom Gang."

I don't care if they legalize it. I'm not going to bother with it, anyway. It's best not to let a drug control you, or open the door up to other drugs controlling you, IMHO.

Besides, pot is still very illegal in Korea. I happen to live and work here, and I prefer to respect the local laws (nor would I wish to return from home with something in my system that might jeopardize my life here).
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just look up "Obama Choom Gang."

The anti-prohibition movement has to attack Obama hard and personally. Obama is a total hypocrite on marijuana policy. The anti-prohibition Left needs to be willing to come out and smear Obama's very character on this.

Remember, under the Colorado and Washington regimes, Obama's drug use would still be illegal, because he was under 21 during his Choom Gang years.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a resident of Washington, people obviously did not read the referendum if they consider this a victory for pot smokers; it did not legalize anything at all. As 420 supporter, I'm disappointed this passed...
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkjedidave wrote:
Being a resident of Washington, people obviously did not read the referendum if they consider this a victory for pot smokers; it did not legalize anything at all. As 420 supporter, I'm disappointed this passed...

Here's the plain language of the bill:

Quote:
This law legalizes the possession of marijuana for adults age 21 and older. The only marijuana that would be legal to sell in this state would be grown by specially-licensed Washington farmers and sold in standalone, marijuana-only stores operated by private Washington businesses licensed and regulated by the state. There would be a 25% sales tax, with 40% of the new revenues going to the state general fund and local budgets, and the remainder dedicated to substance-abuse prevention, research, education and health care. Advertising would be restricted. A new marijuana DUI standard that operates like the alcohol DUI standard would be established.

http://www.newapproachwa.org/content/initiative

Explain how this is not a victory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: