Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dual citizenship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: dual citizenship Reply with quote

Is it true that Koreans can now hold dual citizenship as adults?
I heard from one Korean friend that they could and from another that they couldn't.
Also, can foreigners get Korean citizenship?
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my daughter got her passport we were told she could have a korean one and a canadian one until she was 18. Then she would have to choose. This was about two years ago...things may have changed.

One or two foreigners have gotten citizenship...didn't they give their soccer coach citizenship. But I understand it is really difficult.
matko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if the foreigners who were granted citizenship had to give up their original citizenship?
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked my girlfriend this question, and apparently you can get citizenship, or at least something fairly close to it.

If I remember correctly, it's five years and you can apply to become something of a "permanent resident", and after an additional five more years, you can apply for citizenship (or there abouts).

Korea and Japan are slowly opening....
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matko wrote:
Do you know if the foreigners who were granted citizenship had to give up their original citizenship?

I don't know about other nationalities, but Americans are allowed dual nationality as long as they get it before a certain age (I think it's 21).

However, you should realize that countries don't normally communicate with each other about who has what citizenship. For example, if I somehow managed to get Irish citizenship as a second nationality, would the US ever find out that I had taken on a second country (even though I'm way past 21)? Probably not. And if they did, would they really care? However, if I took on something like Libyan citizenship, I might be in danger of losing my American citizenship if they discovered it. I think a lot of it depends on the countries involved.
matko

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB Clamence,

Actually, that is what made me post this question. A Korean friend of mine is considering getting Canadian citizenship but she said she didn't want to give up her Korean citizenship. I told her to get the Canadian and don't tell the Korean government. However, I am not sure that governments keep track of this or not. How do you know that they don't?
Also, anybody know why a government would refuse to allow dual citizenship? I mean, Canada and the US allow it (as well as numerous other countries) and they don't seem to have a problem with it.
What gives?
BTM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question I'd ask is whether it really is dual citizenship that is wanted (and is a Big Deal), rather than permanent residency in another country (which isn't, as much) while maintaining one's citizenship... or is that just blatantly obvious?
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I told her to get the Canadian and don't tell the Korean government.

This is what my wife is hoping to do. If we go back to Korea some day (we think we might go back over for a year sometime in the not too distant future) at least one of us won't have to worry about work visas.
Quote:
Also, anybody know why a government would refuse to allow dual citizenship?

Well for starters you're basically saying you have allegiance to two countries, and some governments aren't too keen on that- they see it as a sort of conflict of interest. We know why Korea doesn't allow dual-citizenship for men- too many opportunities to avoid the draft.
Tobacco Fiend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Thank God for a free market in passport issuance! Reply with quote

You can buy a Dominican passport for $20,000. And I'm not talking black market. The government of the island of Dominica will issue you a fully valid passport for a $20,000 (US) consideration. Do a Google search and check this out if you don't believe me.

There's a number of cash-strapped countries out there (Dominica being just one of many) that will outright SELL you a passport, usually stopping just short of granting you outright citizenship, but providing you with a fully valid passport nonetheless.

My own US passport is due to expire in 2011. There's no way I'm renewing the d&*$ thing when I can purchase a replacement which does not shout out "Slaughter me now, ye dispossessed of the earth!" in a broad Texan accent.

God Bless Dominica.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: scot47 Reply with quote

You think they will ask to see your passport before they detonate ?
Tobacco Fiend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it stands now, scot47, my only hope in case of a detonation attempt is to commence a feverish recitation of the Koran.

"Bismillah ir-rahman, ir-rahim, al hamdu lillah . . ."

See, I'm a muslim like you!

Thanks, I'll take the Dominican passport any day.

Last edited by Tobacco Fiend on Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
The Bobster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way off topic, I know but about Scott in HK's query re the soccer coach ...

During and just after the World Cup, Koreans loved this Guus Hiddink fella so much that they were talking about building statues and alot of Koreans were booking tours to visit his hometown in the Netherlands - at the height of it, one of my adults students said that if an election were held tomorrow he'd be president by Tuesday ...

Anyway, Koreans were thinking at that time that the highest honor they could bestow on a foreigner is citizenship, so they offered it to him, or at least talked about offering it to him. He was very polite and said that he had long considered himself a citizen of the world ...

This was the coolest thing he could have said, in my book. Basically the message was this, though probably not received : World Cup has shown the world that this country has what it takes to join the community of nations, so why not think of yourself that way now instead of using the sport only to make yourself believe you are better than others?

Okay, thanks, and go back to talking about what you were before I dropped by ... Smile
kimchikowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tobacco Fiend. Now "rahman", is that with that throat-clearing gonna spit sound?
This could come in handy. My first learned words in Spanish (after cerveza, of course) after getting to LAmerica were, "Don't shoot! I'm Canadian!"
Actually I'm from the US, but any port in a storm (or gunfight).
Kimchikowboy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: