Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My water is going off
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: My water is going off Reply with quote

I can handle a few hours but ladies and gentlemen the water is going off in my area for 30 hours!

Yuck! There are going to be smelling people in incheon tomorrow.

CLG
peppermint

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened in my neighborhood a few months ago. It probably won't be for the full 30 hours- just sometime in that time frame.

See if you can borrow some of the big water cooler jugs from your school and fill them up. It'll be cold water- but it's better than nothing. .
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully the saunas will be open I plan on hiding out in their for a little while.

CLG
Ilsanman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

People in Incheon smell all of the time.
erlyn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh! I'm losing my water too! As is a neighbor down the road at Incheon Gyodae station. I'm wondering how far i'm going to have to go to find an open sauna.
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's for when they clean out the water tanks, isn't it? In older apartments its those gaudy blue things on top and in newer complexes they are hidden inside the structure. Didn't know they still do that crap. I have enough problems playing combination safe with the hot/cold water dial.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it, that a country that considers itself an advance nation, still can't get it right when building something amongst other things.
New housing goes up and still these water tanks go on the roof! New housing goes up and no central heating and air condition! They rather drill holes through the walls and run the A/C lines through the wall and drill more holes to hang the A/C unit on the outside! The same with cable TV or internet! What's wrong with prewiring the building for internet and cable TV! Oh, no, that's to easy for koreans! They work harder, not smarter. Or the boilers; they actually crack/cut the glass windows to run the exhaust pipe outside! Outside water nozzles?!?!? You know the type, where you hook up your garden hose to... not in korea! Check out the nozzles! You can't screw your hose onto the spigot!!!! The hoses have no fittings or you have to but them seperately! People "tie wire" around the hose to attach it to the spigot! My rant for the day.
erlyn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I've yet to get an entirely clear answer from my boss (go figure), but it seems he is saying the water will be out in all of Incheon until Saturday, thus crushing my hopes for sweet sauna relief. Does anyone know where I can go to gain clarification on this?

I don't want to have to ride to Seoul in search of a hot shower if I can get one in Bupyeong.
Clutch Cargo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
New housing goes up and still these water tanks go on the roof!

Still happens in NYC in the tall and not so tall buildings. The water is pumped to the tanks and gravity provides the pressure at the tap. Pretty common practice there I think. Recently the water went off in my city for three days. The tank on the apartment provided water for all of that time. Bloody good idea.
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
How is it, that a country that considers itself an advance nation, still can't get it right when building something amongst other things. New housing goes up and still these water tanks go on the roof!

Your water is powered by gravity. Getting water to the roof is a mix of low water pressue and water pumps. To get high water pressure from a 22nd story apartment, one needs to be below the resevoir.

Plus the water pipes aren't meant to shift huge amount of water around. It's always on and filling up the water tanks thus providing the people inside the apartment with as much water as they need when it's actually desired.

Quote:
New housing goes up and no central heating and air condition!

Central heating isn't required as the floors are heated. Central air conditioning? Why? If we were talking about houses you would have a point. My last officetel had central heating and air conditioning, but it wasn't anything special.

Quote:
They rather drill holes through the walls and run the A/C lines through the wall and drill more holes to hang the A/C unit on the outside!

Pro-tip: In the western world, A/C units are usually outside because it's quieter in the apartment than running a machine inside.

Quote:
The same with cable TV or internet! What's wrong with prewiring the building for internet and cable TV! Oh, no, that's to easy for koreans!

Of my last two officetels, both in newer buildings, and of friends who live in newer apartments, they have all been pre-wired for cable and LAN in the walls.

Quote:
They work harder, not smarter. Or the boilers; they actually crack/cut the glass windows to run the exhaust pipe outside! Outside water nozzles?!?!? You know the type, where you hook up your garden hose to... not in korea! Check out the nozzles! You can't screw your hose onto the spigot!!!! The hoses have no fittings or you have to but them seperately! People "tie wire" around the hose to attach it to the spigot! My rant for the day.

Because things are different, they must be worse. Gotcha.
helly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, last summer, my apartment complex was installing in-unit temperature control and needed to shut down hot water for 3 MONTHS!!!! Then, they offered to install this little hose in the bathroom with the lowest water pressure ever for KW100,000.

So, we had (crappy) hot water for the shower but none for the wash or kitchen sink.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helly wrote:
OK, last summer, my apartment complex was installing in-unit temperature control and needed to shut down hot water for 3 MONTHS!!!! Then, they offered to install this little hose in the bathroom with the lowest water pressure ever for KW100,000.

So, we had (crappy) hot water for the shower but none for the wash or kitchen sink.

OK. But that's something you'd blame on your boss' choice of apartments, not on Koreans. I don't have hot water problems; I have a personal boiler. The only way things go wrong is if my personal boiler breaks down.

Not every apartment in Korea is trash.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, you don't want central air or heating in this country. Like Gordfinger, I lived in an officetel with "central heating" and it was either too hot or not hot enough. They [Koreans] haven't quite figured that deal out yet.

A Korean friend of mine is living in a large (40pyeong), expensive (W400,000,000 deposit--yes, you read that right) apartment and she has central heating. Only problem is, the thermostat is "one size fits all". In other words, the temperature is kept at whatever the building manager wants to keep it at. She said it was sweltering some days and other days they totally went without (in the middle of winter). MADNESS.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the water is going to be shut off for all of Bupyeong-Gu and Gyeyang-Gu in Incheon from 12 a.m. Friday November 7th until 6 a.m. Saturday November 8th. I'm not sure if any other parts of Incheon will be affected.

Grrrrrr....
mack the knife

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Grrrrrrrrr.....

I think you mean Brrrrrrrrrrrr.........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: