Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coreana's Hitler Cosmetics Campaign
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Css

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
That is how some people feel anyway.

Regarding one of the Nazi bars:
Quote:
A small photo of Adolf Hitler adorns the entrance to the Fifth Reich, an upscale watering hole in Seoul's Shinchon university district. A larger picture of the F?rer hangs across from the bar, where waiters and waitresses with swastika arm badges mix drinks that have names like "Adolf Hitler"and "Dead." Young people chat at booths surrounded by statues of golden eagles, romanesque columns and large glass display cases of SS insignia. Nazi pins and Iron Crosses are on sale beside the cash register. It almost looks like a quiet shrine to the man who sent 6 million Jews to their deaths in the Holocaust. But this isn't a neo-Nazi hangout. Some of the patrons aren't even quite sure who Adolf Hitler and the Nazis were. Others, like regular patron Chung Jae Kyung, 22, are aware of the evil the Nazis did but not especially moved by it. "I don't hate them, I don't like them," says Chung, a neatly dressed English-lit student with an easy smile. "But at least they dressed well."

http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/2000/0605/southkorea.trouble.html

I looked for that place for ags T.T

I wonder how different it is to the dozens of Mao related places in the US though...or to the liberal use of imperial japanese imagery in the west..or of course, the standard wardrobe of the western college kids...the CCCP shirts..
Smee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like the Mao stuff or that Cubs ad I pointed out . . . we know there are some historical amnesiacs back home, too. Even I found those funnily-subtitled Hitler speeches sort of amusing (the ones about the NFL Patriots and Cowboys). And we do see Hitler, Saddam, Stalin, etc. turn up in "humor" pieces from time to time, almost always in offensive ways.

But this is a Korea site and we live in Korea, so that's why we brought it up here. That it occurs back home doesn't make this any lesson bizarre or inapprorpriate. And you can guarandamntee that, were Mao used to advertise Reeboks, or Pol Pot used to sell bottled water, you'd have people complaining about it. And not just the whiney Asian-Americans. I'm not a very politically correct guy, and I don't go running to the censors every two seconds when something bothers me. But, again, this is just in bad taste. Out of all the images and scenarios in the world, this ad agency decided to go with one that most of the world finds offensive.
Css

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
Yeah, like the Mao stuff or that Cubs ad I pointed out . . . we know there are some historical amnesiacs back home, too. Even I found those funnily-subtitled Hitler speeches sort of amusing (the ones about the NFL Patriots and Cowboys). And we do see Hitler, Saddam, Stalin, etc. turn up in "humor" pieces from time to time, almost always in offensive ways.

But this is a Korea site and we live in Korea, so that's why we brought it up here. That it occurs back home doesn't make this any lesson bizarre or inapprorpriate. And you can guarandamntee that, were Mao used to advertise Reeboks, or Pol Pot used to sell bottled water, you'd have people complaining about it. And not just the whiney Asian-Americans. I'm not a very politically correct guy, and I don't go running to the censors every two seconds when something bothers me. But, again, this is just in bad taste. Out of all the images and scenarios in the world, this ad agency decided to go with one that most of the world finds offensive.

I think the key phrase there being 'most of the world'..is that accurate?...This would be hugely offensive where im from, but we are not in the west now. We are in Korea,. Korea and the rest of asia....not to mention africa and probably even south america are not generally offended by this stuff because its so far removed. They havent had the benefits of a european focused historical education. Their historical education has been based upon their region of the world.

I think there is a danger of ignorance and severe ethnocentrism if we expect everyone on earth to be equally offended and equally informed about the things that are important to us as westerners.
cbclark4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they could just CGI a red band around the hat and the offense would wash away?
Suwoner10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense, really. Koreans want to be white, and what better imageery for an ad company than a Korean people in an SS uniform?
ardis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suwoner10 wrote:
Makes sense, really. Koreans want to be white

Hmmmmm...
Css

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ardis wrote:
Suwoner10 wrote:

Hmmmmm...

I imagine he means white as in colour rather than ethnicity Surprised

hes right.
RACETRAITOR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbclark4 wrote:
So they could just CGI a red band around the hat and the offense would wash away?

They'd probably have to do away with the 히틀러 caption as well.

If you don't think these commercials have anything to do with Hitler, learn some Hangul and get back to us.
ED209

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the naver search word is 코리아나히틀러 (Coreana Hitler)

Expect the German embassy to complain about this.
The cause isn't just ignorance but all those spotty kids in the pcbang playing Panzer tank commander games.

Which makes me wonder, I know it's wrong but what's the difference between this and a WWII Nazi strategy game or an episode of 'Allo 'Allo?
Thiuda

Location: Religion ist f�r Sklaven geschaffen, f�r Wesen ohne Geist.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an ad in poor taste. It's rather ironic too, if one considers that according to the N�rnberg Laws of 1935, Koreans were considered 'Fremdrassig', and therefore a threat to the German master race - subject to discrimination...

The woman is not wearing a SS uniform, btw. It might be cut like a uniform, but it displays no insignia. The hat shows only the Reichsadler, and the Reichsadler is not an NS symbol. Not that it matters, just being pedantic.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTR: The JMSDF uses the "Rising Sun" flag as their Naval Jack.
ardis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Css wrote:
ardis wrote:
Suwoner10 wrote:

Hmmmmm...

I imagine he means white as in colour rather than ethnicity Surprised

hes right.

Completely right in that nature. The white face/yellow neck phenomenon is quite...everywhere.
cbclark4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RACETRAITOR wrote:
cbclark4 wrote:

They'd probably have to do away with the 히틀러 caption as well.

If you don't think these commercials have anything to do with Hitler, learn some Hangul and get back to us.

Well, how do you like that.

I didn't even see the Korea caption.

I was focused on the imagery.

히틀러도 동괴사를 다 갖자는 못했도

(I think this is write the script in the video was a little strange)

Any one got a translation?

this is what Google gave me?

Hitler did not do too dong goe sa reul da gat ja
billybrobby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 pages and our team of resident Korean experts can't translate three sentences?

It says "Hitler could not hold both the east and west. Moisturizing and Toning (uh, not sure about cosmetics terms) at once. A 28 day revolution. 28 ampules of mungbeans."

Now, Korean experts, pontificate!
eamo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
28 ampules of mungbeans!

28! Wow! I think I'll buy me some of that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: