Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GUIDE: AUTHENTICATING A BACKGROUND CHECK FROM WITHIN KOREA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tokki1

Location: The gap between the Korean superiority and inferiority complex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am completely baffled as to why Canadians are still confused as to the process of the criminal record check.

This is how easy it is:

Get someone back home to send you the form from a local, municipal RCMP office (criminal record check form). The original form. In the mail.

Fill it out. Send it. Check the first box (the basic check). No, NO FINGERPRINTS REQUIRED. Call the Director of Justice in Korea if you don't believe me. I did. Oh, and include two notarized pieces of photocopied ID (from the Cdn embassy) with your completed crim rec app form.

The RCMP will issue a certificate, confirming that there is no criminal record.

Take it to the Canadian Embassy in Seoul and get it notarized.

Take it to immigration.

Done.

Had mine done from start to finish in less than 2 weeks.

I've done this twice: once for getting my public school job and again for a visa extension with immi after the new regs came into effect.

YOU DON'T NEED FINGERPRINTS.

ONCE YOU COMPLETE THE CRC WITH IMMI YOU DON'T NEED TO DO IT AGAIN.
acousticlive

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Texas, so I got a background check online from the Texas Department of Public Safety. I went to the embassy and got an affidavit swearing that I have no criminal background, which is what the lady working there told me to do, and I submitted it to my school. Today, my school told me that Immigration no longer accepts online checks because the sites aren't reputable or something.
Does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone got their affidavit to work recently? I have about 3 weeks to get a new background check which is definitely not enough time. Do I have any alternatives?

Last edited by acousticlive on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
spliff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online or not it shouldn't matter...the check came from a government agency and that's all it says on immys website is required. It sounds like immigration doesn't even know its own rules.
mikeyboy122

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to go to the county police station IN PERSON with 2 forms of I.D. to get my cbc. I've been in Korea almost a year and had a clean record when I came. Since I haven't gone home, and don't plan too, will they realize I could not have committed a crime in the U.S. if I've been here all along. I'll go back and get another, but I'll be damned if I'll pay for the flight.
spliff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, if ur boss doesn't pay i guess we'll be seeing ya later... Laughing
mikeyboy122

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your case, I hope not. Laughing
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um...

The online criminal background check from our home country (if applicable in your home country) is no longer acceptable. Also, I was told that certain embassies cannot provide background checks while others could.

It might be nice to compile a list of embassies/consulates, by country, that provide this service.
Ut videam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of mid-July, Korean Immigration will no longer accept any online (website or e-mail printout) background checks, even if issued by a governmental website.

Also, no embassy or consulate in Korea (that I'm aware of) will issue background checks.

The point of this thread is that applicants in Korea can obtain their background check from their home country and authenticate it at their embassy/consulate here in Korea. This saves them the (often considerable) difficulty of getting the background check apostilled or otherwise authenticated in their home country. The original post outlines the procedure for authenticating a background check from within Korea. That procedure remains valid.
jkamphof

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I am going through this process and it is seemingly tooooo confusing. I am a renewing teacher (pre Dec-2007) I have a CRC form coming to me by a local RCMP branch in BC via my mother. They said all I need is to follow the steps and send back, no mention of fingerprints. However, the newly updated RCMP and Canadian Embassy site says fingerprints are needed http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/world/embassies/korea/criminal-record-check-en-ko.asp

I have read all of the above in this post, and other posts but my school is freaking out with all this wishy-washiness for getting this done, especially now that they heard fingerprints are now needed, a whole extra step. Did anyone actually do all of this yet through the RCMP and have it completed without any problems? And what time-frame? I have till October 31st to get this done or my Visa expires.
machoman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to my county's website (henrico county in richmond virginia) and they say i need to be there in person in order to get a CRC. in that case, what the hell do i do?

this whole thing is such a pain in the ass.
ali.eppy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acousticlive wrote:
I'm from Texas, so I got a background check online from the Texas Department of Public Safety. I went to the embassy and got an affidavit swearing that I have no criminal background, which is what the lady working there told me to do, and I submitted it to my school. Today, my school told me that Immigration no longer accepts online checks because the sites aren't reputable or something.
Does anyone know if this is true? Has anyone got their affidavit to work recently? I have about 3 weeks to get a new background check which is definitely not enough time. Do I have any alternatives?

did you ever work something out? i'm in the same boat (and up the same creek missing the same proverbial paddle)...
simpleminds

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything on Criminal checks for Aussies? The search function is somewhere on Jupitur. I really don't wanna go home again this year. Nor do I trust the embassy:I already got screwed over on my passport.
Yokohama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: CRC Reply with quote

I recieved my CRC document from the state of Forida, Forida Department of Law Enforcment, the state agency. I also recieved a certified or notarized document stating that the document is true state of Florida document. However it doesn't say apostille on it. Do I still need to go to the U.S. embassy for the avidaffit?
Ut videam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: CRC Reply with quote

Yokohama wrote:
I recieved my CRC document from the state of Forida, Forida Department of Law Enforcment, the state agency. I also recieved a certified or notarized document stating that the document is true state of Florida document. However it doesn't say apostille on it. Do I still need to go to the U.S. embassy for the avidaffit?

If it doesn't say Apostille, it's not an apostille.

If you don't have an apostille, you need the affidavit from the embassy.
pastafarian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on a job post that the record check had to be completed within the past two months. Is this true?

I had a CRC completed last year for public school here, but didn't wind up using it (got a Uni job instead, which didn't require one). Haven't been to the States since the check, but I'm guessing that doesn't matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: