Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not hired due to... offensive body odor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LizardOz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Not hired due to... offensive body odor? Reply with quote

Hey there,

I've been in Korea and actively looking for work for about 4 weeks now. It has been brutal ! Though, I do finally have a job now.

Long story short: I only landed a few interviews but the most memorable was the one was for an elementary position at a hagwon.

The interview went well, I did my mock-class in front of the owner and her assistant (not the kids) and they approved of my teaching ability. Yay.

They even started to talk about the details of the contract, when suddenly they went outside to have a private chat and came back about 5 minutes later thanked me for my time. Shocked

I was called a few hours later from the recruiter who informed me there was "some smell" and they were concerned the children would complain to the parents.

That was literally the only reason given.

In my defense, it was a very humid day and I was sweating profusely in my professional attire as I was running around a lot that day...

Regardless, I'll be sure to carry some deodorant on me in future.

When I told the recruiter it was a minor problem that could be easily fixed he replied "Are you sure? Can it be easily fixed? " and went on to mention some kind of surgical procedure... -.-

Just thought I'd share.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thast was literally the only reason." Shocked

Are you friggin' kidding me? That's full reason enough. I wouldn't hire anyone with BO either. Regardless of the weather, personal hygiene is your responsibility. I worked with one smelly co-worker back home and it was most unpleasant....You are also a very bad representative of the West if you're walking around Korea with BO. I have no sympathy for your situation whatsoever.

Were you raised on a farm?
TheMeerkatLover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal hygiene is an important issue when presenting yourself to the public. I've seen people come to interviews in wrinkled clothing/suits/shorts and pants with little to no regard to their appearance.

Some friendly advice, though it may come off as a little childish to many yet I have seen this happen many times.

1) PLEASE brush your teeth. If your teeth are covered in black stains, go to a dentist and get those removed. Bad teeth reflect on your ability to care about your health and hygiene (my last coworker had black teeth).

2) PRESS your clothing. Don't think no-wrinkles is good enough. Press your clothes and for God's sake don't do the 'smell test' after wearing them for a day or so. Make sure they just out of the dryer or the dry-cleaners.

3) Groom your hair accordingly. If you can't be bothered to make yourself look like you haven't just gotten out of bed, I can't really be bothered to take a chance on you.

4) TAKE A SHOWER! Don't think 'I don't need a shower because I didn't sweat last night' will do. Just take it like you always do in the morning and take that layer of sweat off you. That sweat in turn goes on your clothes. If you think it's OK to wear clothes for 2 days in a row w/o washing them (and still think they are clean/no smell), you need to think again.

5) Use deodorant. Some people I know don't because they are afraid of the chemicals. I tend to sit quite a few feet away from them.

6) Bad breath. Others are painful to talk with because their breath is actually quite strong in a negative way. You won't know it but others definitely will. People with very bad breath don't get a second chance because no one wants to hire the guy who would bring that into the office.

7) Wear clean socks (not worn the day before) and shoes. I've seen people go to interviews in sandals and their feet STUNK.

Cool Have someone else look you over. If they think you're OK (they must be cleaner than you are), then you should be OK.

Body odour is a deal-breaker. I would not hire someone with BO because I don't like it and would prefer to hire someone who's presence didn't stink up the place or put me in a negative mood. It also reflects on your hygiene. From what I've read, the owner has a valid complaint (if true). Try to see if he's right before assuming the worst of him. I've seen enough cases of people who just were painful to be around that I no longer assume it's the local's fault.

The surgery he suggested is listed in the link below:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Body-odour/Pages/Treatment.aspx
Hokie21

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Agree with what everyone has posted so far. Koreans tend to think that clean foreigners who shower daily smell weird let alone ones with stinky BO.

We had one teacher who never used deodorant...and I used to hate teaching in his classroom after him because it absolutely stank. Also had a co-worker who never took their wool clothes to the laundry so they always smelled like old onions.

Gross.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: