Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piercings and tattoos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinn14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Piercings and tattoos Reply with quote

I have tried to do research on this and have come up quite empty handed, so I thought I would ask around here.

I am signed on to teach at a Hagwon starting in February (I'm still stateside and will be leaving for Korea then). The Hagwon, according to several teachers I've spoken to that work there is fairly laid back, but still a Hagwon. Of course this means, looking presentable, wearing nice clothes, and not having visible tattoo's or piercings.

I have no problem looking nice, presenting myself in a professional way. But here's the deal, I was a professional body piercer for 6 years, so needless to say I had A LOT of piercings. I have taken them all out (save a few on my ears) but this has resulted in scarring, particularly on my chest (where I had several dermal anchors), my neck, and two small faint scars on my forehead. Now, if you are not familiar with these types of piercings you would never know what these scars are from and they are generally not that noticeable.

My concern has to do more with my stretched ears (1" 3/16 or 30mm - quite large) and my tattoo's. I also have a few cartilage ear piercings - but nothing crazy (about 3 modest piercings in each ear).

I have short hair that easily covers my ears (ear lobes) and I plan on wearing it down while I'm on the job. I also plan on either a) taking my plugs out completely and taping my ear lobes back (sounds weird I know, but its possible and makes them look semi-normal as long as there is some hair camouflaging them) or b) wearing flesh colored plugs.

I have no problem not wearing my plugs on the job - but this will result in baggy ear lobes that I'm sure Koreans will find gross and scary, so I am going to attempt to cover/hide this at all costs.

I also have several tattoos, most of which can be covered. But I do have some very small dots on my knuckles. Should I cover these as well (I have small flesh bandaids and/or tattoo cover up makeup I could use)?

I would like some opinions from pierced/tatted individuals who have gone to teach in Korea.

Thank you!
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious but did you honestly think you looked better with all those piercings and tatoos? I always wonder this when a see a woman who's done that kind of stuff to herself but would obviously never ask her to her face.
jleblanc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Just curious but did you honestly think you looked better with all those piercings and tatoos? I always wonder this when a see a woman who's done that kind of stuff to herself but would obviously never ask her to her face.

"Obviously," but online all bets are off, I see. And look better than what?
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And look better than what?

Look better than she did before she had them done. You know as well as I do that if you asked a woman with a lot of tatoos and piercings if she thought they had improved her appearance, you'd get a defensive, probably angry response.
jleblanc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
And look better than what?

Look better than she did before she had them done. You know as well as I do that if you asked a woman with a lot of tatoos and piercings if she thought they had improved her appearance, you'd get a defensive, probably angry response.

Did you ever think to question why that might be? Maybe it has more to do with your question and less to do with being a woman. If you want to know so badly, ask a guy if he think it makes him look better. No reason it has to be female specific.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you ever think to question why that might be?

Yep, questions about people's personal appearance are always going to be a sensitive area and potentially offensive, that's why I wouldn't ask a woman or man face to face.

Quote:
If you want to know so badly, ask a guy if he think it makes him look better. No reason it has to be female specific.

I'm more curious about why a woman would do it. Men have a longer tradition of doing this kind of thing and their attractiveness is less linked to the flawless nature of their skin.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worn a small gold earring in one ear for 45 years. Funny thing is, it has stretched that earlobe a half-inch longer than the other, though no one notices unless I mention it.

OP, I dont think you have anything to worry about, a stab at concealment should suffice. If its not the first thing they're forced to notice about you, Koreans arent shocked at piercings or tattoos nowadays like they might have been five years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: