Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

COLD/HOT STUDENTS: Need a Native Korean to answer please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: COLD/HOT STUDENTS: Need a Native Korean to answer please Reply with quote

I work at a private school and as the winter season approaches, the classroom heaters will come on blasting warmth into my classroom. (Which I absolutely love)This is the exact opposite of my public school experience.( I almost froze)

Here's the problem:

I have struggled with this for several years now. Could someone please explain to me what is so wrong with taking off your coat or hat if you are "very hot" in a classroom?

My students complain that they are hot but then they adamantly refuse to take off their coats. Is this a culture thing?

Instead they tell me to open all the windows and the doors.

Today one of my students said, "Teacher", my father said," Don't ever take your coat off!"

Another student said, "It's too much trouble to take off my coat, I'll have to put it back on 40 minutes later."

I can't wrap my head about this rationale. Any explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Need a Native Korean to answer please

Rolling Eyes

native Koreans aren't allowed to join daves.
basic69isokay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea used to be a painfully poor country.
Most people wear ski jackets indoors, even if the heat is on and its free to use.
It's the same reason people gorge on the free onions at costco.
They dont need it, but they got this 3rd world mindset that will never go away.
Basically, you just sweat it out in summer and freeze your ass off in winter. No matter what. Even if Korea becomes the world's richest country, you can't change it.
Sesame

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basic69isokay wrote:
Most people wear ski jackets indoors, even if the heat is on and its free to use.
Basically, you just sweat it out in summer and freeze your ass off in winter. No matter what. Even if Korea becomes the world's richest country, you can't change it.

horrible answer
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basic69isokay wrote:

Interesting idea. However if you read the history books, Koreans have had ondol since time immemorial. If anything their rooms have always been stiflingly hot, and saving heating costs has never been an issue.

My theory is that Koreans are more heat-tolerant due to a lack of body hair. Even the hair on their heads is spaced more thinly than a Caucasian- meaning they lose body heat faster.
Generally I've noticed they only feel comfortable at higher temperatures than westerners.

A room that seems warm to you still feels cold to them.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A room that seems warm to you still feels cold to them.
[/quote]

Actually, I'm experiencing the exact opposite. I'm cold, they're hot.

But if they took their coats off, they'd feel much cooler/comfortable.

Does this make sense to anyone else?
Quote:
Aine1979

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happens a lot with my students. If they won't take their coats off and insist I turn the heat off/ open the window, I just say 'sorry, but I'm cold so the heat has to stay on or I'll get sick' and continue on with whatever we were doing.

I don't mind opening a window/turning down the heat if it's a kid asking who has taken off their coat and one or two of the five sweatshirts they all seem to wear, as sometimes my classroom can get pretty warm by late afternoon.
basic69isokay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sesame wrote:
basic69isokay wrote:

horrible answer

Why? Do you disagree? I see this kind of thing all the time.
It's the same reason you get dozens of pickled side dishes at korean restaurants. Nobody eats them. It's overcompensating for a time when people were hungry.
Same with the cold thing.

Last edited by basic69isokay on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
thetawnyman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My classroom, my rules. If the kids have layers they can shed (or don, as the case may be) then it's up to them to do so. I have no sympathy for kids who sit there all bundled up and complain that they're hot.

Korean parents tell their kids to keep their coats on because Korean adults are paranoid about the cold. Have you ever visited a Korean's house in the winter? The thermostat is set to like 30C.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basic69isokay wrote:

great answer
jvalmer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wonder? In the end you're the teacher, and it's ultimately up to you, or your CT, to control the temperature.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thetawnyman wrote:
My classroom, my rules. If the kids have layers they can shed (or don, as the case may be) then it's up to them to do so. I have no sympathy for kids who sit there all bundled up and complain that they're hot.

Korean parents tell their kids to keep their coats on because Korean adults are paranoid about the cold. Have you ever visited a Korean's house in the winter? The thermostat is set to like 30C.

Koreans love heat. The older ones especially. But, I do occasionally meet westerners who seem to love it like Koreans. They don't use air con in summer and tolerate heat being cranked in winter as they're married to a Korean and have gone full native. Lol.

Yeah, my school doesn't have the heat on except for a couple of teachers rooms (not mine) for part of the day. Doesn't bother me a bit. In the morning, I'll wear a light coat inside, but by 10 or 11 am, my coat is off and I'm perfectly comfortable. Some Koreans are bundled up all day, even if it's warm in the building in the afternoon.

Cold doesn't bother me. Come December, I'll break out the winter coat and wear it in the school a bit in the morning. But, I'm warm enough. Sometimes, I'll wear a lighter coat in winter. My rule for using heat at home or tolerating it at school is for the temps to be down to 0 or less than that. It's always been a strange contradiction for Koreans to have their homes cranked to 28 or 30 degrees and then not have it turned on at all or minimally at work. Suits me fine, but them?

Anyways, keep telling the kids to take off their coats. I always do when they get cranky about it to me. If it's a trend that catches on, it would be great. It's the older folks that have weird thinking.
jcd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are messing with you.
I would be slightly passive with them. I would give the two or three students trouble about their behavior constantly and make sure to indirectly link it to the coatgate. When in Rome. Or you could flip your lid.
I once told my student I would open the window if his coat were off. He agreed but had to make up for the loss of heat with an increase in hyperactivity.
Just make the rule, they should follow it since it's very reasonable. If you can't move on and distract them from making an issue out of it,then it's going to be a long year.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basic69isokay wrote:
Sesame wrote:
basic69isokay wrote:

horrible answer

It's the same reason you get dozens of pickled side dishes at korean restaurants. Nobody eats them. It's overcompensating for a time when people were hungry.

basic69isoka is 100% correct. I have heard his same answer 100's of times from older Koreans since my first winter here back in the 1990's. Often older Koreans also told me that back when only a few could own a good coat they wore it all the time to show off. Like the Movie Stars used to wear minks in the Hot Summers because they wanted to how off their wealth. Pay no attention to Sesame. Sesame is quite honestly the worst poster on dave's. Never an original thought. Just insults other posters.
Cave Dweller

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With guys like Steelrails, LPKSA, and Kimchi Ninja around, you are setting the bar pretty high.

drcrazy wrote:
basic69isokay wrote:
Sesame wrote:
basic69isokay wrote:

horrible answer

basic69isoka is 100% correct. I have heard his same answer 100's of times from older Koreans since my first winter here back in the 1990's. Often older Koreans also told me that back when only a few could own a good coat they wore it all the time to show off. Like the Movie Stars used to wear minks in the Hot Summers because they wanted to how off their wealth. Pay no attention to Sesame. Sesame is quite honestly the worst poster on dave's. Never an original thought. Just insults other posters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: