Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Legally Hammer your Hagwon Boss Into Submission
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadhead09

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

directed to last goodbye:

which labor board office did you go to? is there one main office or many different locations where i can go? i live in mok-dong. visited to the immigration office nearby and they were pretty pathetic. told me to call the labor board blah... blah. called the number and was told to visit the yeongdungpo-gu office location. i also heard there is an office either in mapo(line 5) or mapo-gu(line 3). whats the deal... any location is okay or i need to go to specific board?
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadhead09 wrote:
it is law for ALL employees to be given 15 days paid vacation

If your company has 5 or more full-time employees, yes. VERY few hagwons have less than 5 full-timers.

Quote:
and this excludes saturday/sunday?

The mandated 15 vacation days do not include any days you would not normally work (ie. if you do not normally work on weekends, then weekends are not included). Vacation are paid WORK days (days you would otherwise be working). Also, they do not include Korean national holidays or school festivals or school foundation days (days you would otherwise not be working anyway).
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadhead09 wrote:
i live in mok-dong. visited to the immigration office nearby and they were pretty pathetic. told me to call the labor board blah... blah. called the number and was told to visit the yeongdungpo-gu office location. any location is okay or i need to go to specific board?

1) Immigration is NOT pathetic (well, okay, not in THIS case). It is not their job to solve you LABOR problems. That is the job of the LABOR Board.

2) Yes, you must go to a specific labor office: the local office which covers the area in which your school operates; it has nothing at all to do with where you live. Check the labor board website for the nearest labor office to your school:

http://english.molab.go.kr/english/main.jsp
deadhead09

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope that someone has got some help for me.
got a release letter in hand. i have 15 days from the date on the letter to
sign a new contract... is this correct? if no then how much time (days) do i have to
sign a new contract before i have to leave the country to acquire a
new visa. trying to avoid the bullshit of having to leave the country, get a new visa, background check, that mess.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Immigration. Dial 1345.
dmbfan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how to handle this situation.

Your boss threatens to kill you.
dmbfan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how he's going to go about doing it...Some methods are quick and painless, while others.....

Next time he threatens you with death:

1. Make sure you have a witness

2. Laugh in his face

3. Break out a bottle of Soju

4. Get drunk together

Problem solved.
dmbfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It depends on how he's going to go about doing it...Some methods are quick and painless, while others.....

Next time he threatens you with death:

1. Make sure you have a witness

2. Laugh in his face

3. Break out a bottle of Soju

4. Get drunk together

Problem solved

I'm serious. No jokes, eh?

Does one really have any options should ones boss threaten to take his/her life? It has happened.

dmbfan
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmbfan wrote:

Give us more information than that. Context, CONTEXT.
dmbfan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, then.

Boss wants to talk to me.

Brings up classic, phony complaint of what I allegedly said to a student in class. (I told a student "I don't want to talk to you".) and calls it a "crime". He says he heard the complaint from a Korean teacher after a student told her.

I laugh (think of when the boss got in trouble for taking a baseball bat and using it on a couple students).

I then ask for names and dates.

Boss gives some Korean name. I again ask boss for names and a date.

I inform boss that have no idea what he is talking about and if I said anything close to that, it may have been "I'm not talking to you".

I again ask for the more info.

Boss fumbles with the schedule, circles a class.

I look and inform the boss that the class is not even mine but the other expat teacher.

Boss then goes back on the story and said it happend outside of class (changed from being IN class).

I again inform the boss that I really have no idea.

Then, the bobss starts using is propagands, empty rhetoric.

I then decide, I've had enough (paid on time...yes. Work hard....yes. Show up everyday, on time...yes.....I do my best everyday). From day one, I was not welcome. Despite my past experiences, I made (and always do) the effort to keep an open mind and get to know the Korea taechers (who are all women....oh, and one gay guy....and he is Korean).

Nothing of what was mentioned above was ever returned. I have been met with nothign but a cold shoulder, passive agressive behavior and petty shit by petty women.

I remind the boss of this and our conversation three months ago, when I asked if there was anything I did to piss off the Korean teachers.

A discussion ensues where I do not yell or scream....I'm just honest and throw back his shit in his face.

He tries to fire me on the spot.

I said he would be doing me a favor and I would be happy to leave (no more Korea....moving on). He can either give me 30 days notice in writing or give a months worth of pay.

He yammers on (like I"m doing) about "what do you mean? What is writing"....yes, that is what he said.

I repeat.

He says that I am accusing him.

I say, "oh what"?

More bullshit and cirlcle talking on his part.

I tell him that I guess I understand why his K-teachers give a cold shoulder (not only to me but my coworker). I would feel threatened a new teacher came in and was actually wanting to work.......spending an entire week (before I even officially started) making resources, getting things together, coming up with a game plan) getting ready...very rarely sitting down in the classroom.....you know...actually teaching.

He then says "You back to your country....if I see you again, I will kill you!".

I requested the admin cronnies to call the police. They sit there and do nothing.

I then tell him that I am leaving.

He says "not until I find another foreign teacher".

I write a note saying that I was taking two days off. ONe was a sick day and the other is unpaid, also mention why I am taking a sick day....don't feel safe at the school after the threat on my life.

He tries to stop me with whatever bullshit he can muster.

I confront the Korean teacher who supposedly talked to the boss and asker her "why"? I also mentioned that I had no idea what this was about and she shoudl have came to me first. I ask her why she felt the need to do this? She plays stupid, but I don't let her off the hook (I"m not yelling or screaming. I'm calm but assertive). I repeat the question. She fumbles, saying she did not say anything. Then ask her "so is the director a liar". She back tracks,...........actually not providing any real answer (typical korean...bitch...yeah, I said it). Then, I inqure as to why they ALL (all 6 of the gals) were rather unwelcoming when I first arrived, even while I honestly tried to get to know them....bringing food, snacks, trying to make conversation.

No response.

The boss comes in....and as expected, the korean gal puts on a show or drama and leaves.

I hate Korea, now. I've never gotten to this point (I don't think). But now........ I've spent a long time trying to make an improvement for these people......whilst trying to improve myself.

I can't handle it. You guys win. I hate Korean gal co-teachers. They are bitches, lazy and most of all....pathetic. I hate the ESL system here and I'm gonna leave it to Koreans and the lazy, apathetic expat teachers that come here.

I realize that what I just posted is bascially, my word against another. I know. I know there are those of you that will be salvitating to post a resonse and point how anything negative you can about this or about me. But that is OK.

I know what I've experienced. I know my faults. But, I have always tried to give the students my best and start things with an open mind. I just can't put up with the "no reason cold shoulder" or the mindset of these people. I"m done.

I'm done.

OH....so, is there anything I can do regarding my boss making a threat to take my life?

Nope....no witness.
Yeah...I'm sure he wouldny and conure up something on me to take the spotlight off him.

But, I"m not lying.

OH....I'm sure OSkinny1 will love this thread. Go ahead man...do your worst. Everyone is welcome to it.

dmbfan
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmbfan wrote:
so, is there anything I can do regarding my boss making a threat to take my life?

Nope. The cops won't take it seriously in such a context. Just take your next payday and leave. You're not welcome there, and if you give notice you KNOW they are going to screw you.

Go to labor with the 30 days notice complaint if you like, but that just means you have to stay in the country that much longer, waiting for the case to be closed.

Pack up, take your money, and go. If they don't want you there, I would oblige them.
ajmg8808

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Ministry of Labor Reply with quote

You can go the Ministry of Labor website and they have a Q&A section. I used it and got a response the next day. You can ask a question, get an answer, and then show this to your employer to show them that you are serious about your legal rights concerning your job.

If they still won't budge then you can file a formal petition, but there is an investigation process, which could take some time where they interrogate both you and your employer. You file the petition at your local labor office. This website also has the Labor Standards Act. Here is the phone number they have listed for more information:
031-345-5000 for English I think you push 7.

I have all of the information I need if my employer doesn't pay me everything they owe me to file a petition.

http://www.molab.go.kr/english/main.jsp
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ministry of Labor Reply with quote

ajmg8808 wrote:
You can go the Ministry of Labor website and they have a Q&A section. I used it and got a response the next day. You can ask a question, get an answer, and then show this to your employer to show them that you are serious about your legal rights concerning your job.

It's much easier and quicker to just phone Labor (1350), then hand the phone to your boss and let them explain to him directly which laws he is breaking.
ajmg8808

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: YES Reply with quote

Yes, I guess that would work too. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: