Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get a health check for teaching (already in Korea)?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PeterDragon



Joined: 15 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: How to get a health check for teaching (already in Korea)? Reply with quote

It has come to my attention that some of the jobs I want require a health check, even though I have an F6 visa. (New requirements, I guess?)

How do I get a health check? Do I need to get any special form form prospective employers or a government office? When I go to the hospital, what do I ask them for? And roughly how long will it take/how much will it cost?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skippy



Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Location: Daejeon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to get a health check for teaching (already in Korea Reply with quote

PeterDragon wrote:
It has come to my attention that some of the jobs I want require a health check, even though I have an F6 visa. (New requirements, I guess?)

How do I get a health check? Do I need to get any special form form prospective employers or a government office? When I go to the hospital, what do I ask them for? And roughly how long will it take/how much will it cost?


http://populargusts.blogspot.kr/2011/12/2011-amendments-to-hagwon-law.html
Not a new requirement. It has been around for over a year now. It is a Ministry of Education requirement, not an immigration policy. I think the government caught on that having enough gyopo teachers doing/selling drugs and some even being wanted for murder. Expat teachers married to Koreans getting jobs with criminal pasts. Personally, was sick and tired of us E2's being the whipping boys for Koreans when ever you guys did something bad.

The medical check is pretty much like the medical check for immigration. Hit up a big hospital and ask for a health check for teaching purposes. Most often the check are done in the International clinic sections. The test takes and hour or two at the most. It should cost about 100k won.

Hope you have an up to date CRC, too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeterDragon



Joined: 15 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: How to get a health check for teaching (already in Korea Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Not a new requirement. It has been around for over a year now.


New enough to me. I've been gone for three years, except to return in the summers and do camps.

Skippy wrote:
It is a Ministry of Education requirement, not an immigration policy..... Expat teachers married to Koreans getting jobs with criminal pasts...... Hope you have an up to date CRC, too.


So how binding is it? If---- hypothetically---- an F-visa person DID have a criminal record, and a school still wanted to hire them, could the MOE block it? Obviously, I'm not talking about myself, as I had an E-visa until I got married just a few years ago, and this required an annual CRC, including an actual federal check in my final year of E-visa operation. Still..... woooondering. (My curiosity is piqued... I may even make a separate thread at some point.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skippy



Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Location: Daejeon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: How to get a health check for teaching (already in Korea Reply with quote

PeterDragon wrote:
Skippy wrote:

Not a new requirement. It has been around for over a year now.


New enough to me. I've been gone for three years, except to return in the summers and do camps.

Skippy wrote:
It is a Ministry of Education requirement, not an immigration policy..... Expat teachers married to Koreans getting jobs with criminal pasts...... Hope you have an up to date CRC, too.


So how binding is it? If---- hypothetically---- an F-visa person DID have a criminal record, and a school still wanted to hire them, could the MOE block it? Obviously, I'm not talking about myself, as I had an E-visa until I got married just a few years ago, and this required an annual CRC, including an actual federal check in my final year of E-visa operation. Still..... woooondering. (My curiosity is piqued... I may even make a separate thread at some point.)


Yea, I looked at your post history. Almost 18 months with out a post and you had a pretty good post history back then. So I should dial back the snippiness.

Yes, the MOE could block the hire. It does not mean the teacher can not work in Korea, just means that they are not legally hire-able at public schools and hagwons. Plus possibly the same with tutoring. So your friend/F-visa person will have to consider other business opportunities.

Remember you are also dealing with bureaucrats, people who like rules and are lazy. If all they have to do to finish some work is say "no", they will.

I have actually posted before on what to do, when you have a record. Actually more of flame war.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2835815#2835815

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=219175
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeterDragon



Joined: 15 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: How to get a health check for teaching (already in Korea Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:


Yes, the MOE could block the hire. It does not mean the teacher can not work in Korea, just means that they are not legally hire-able at public schools and hagwons. Plus possibly the same with tutoring. So your friend/F-visa person will have to consider other business opportunities.



Interesting. I checked those links to and am reading through some of the other linked links. Thanks, and no need to apologize for any perceived snark. I probably should have paid closer attention to shifts in law, as I was planning to go back to Korea eventually. No current CBC, but I'm actually entitled to a free, expedited one form the FBI. Standing one time offer due to them screwing up my last CBC order royally, and an exceptionally saintly bureaucrat in DC wanting to make things right.

That being said, I'm seeing some employers (mostly at universities) who are ignoring the MOE rule entirely, or saying they only need the CBC "after hire." I'm not scrambling for Apostille if I don't have to. We'll see.... And my potentially unfortunate friend will see.... (GREAT bunch of links--- thank you on his behalf.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skippy



Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Location: Daejeon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: How to get a health check for teaching (already in Korea Reply with quote

PeterDragon wrote:
Skippy wrote:


Yes, the MOE could block the hire. It does not mean the teacher can not work in Korea, just means that they are not legally hire-able at public schools and hagwons. Plus possibly the same with tutoring. So your friend/F-visa person will have to consider other business opportunities.



Interesting. I checked those links to and am reading through some of the other linked links. Thanks, and no need to apologize for any perceived snark. I probably should have paid closer attention to shifts in law, as I was planning to go back to Korea eventually. No current CBC, but I'm actually entitled to a free, expedited one form the FBI. Standing one time offer due to them screwing up my last CBC order royally, and an exceptionally saintly bureaucrat in DC wanting to make things right.

That being said, I'm seeing some employers (mostly at universities) who are ignoring the MOE rule entirely, or saying they only need the CBC "after hire." I'm not scrambling for Apostille if I don't have to. We'll see.... And my potentially unfortunate friend will see.... (GREAT bunch of links--- thank you on his behalf.)


In this case with universities, it is more of a requirement from them for them. They want papers, you want the job, and you have to have the paperwork to be considered.

Good on the get out of jail free card. I would still get the CRC apostilled. Remember universities also have bureaucrats.

You have some excuses for ignorance. You were back in home country. But... you could have visited Daves a little. You never called or write. We missed you! Welcome back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
liveinkorea316



Joined: 20 Aug 2010
Location: South Korea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am starting at another uni in September. Since I am transferring my visa from another school then I don't need any new CBC or medical but they wanted it as per their own policy. Kind of in line with the MOE.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PeterDragon



Joined: 15 Feb 2007

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get a health check for teaching (already in Korea Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
You never called or write. We missed you! Welcome back.


Awww.... I'd come in for a group hug, but here at Dave's that can quickly turn into a group strangle. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International