Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reference from past public school issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NQ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reference from past public school issue Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm planning to go back to Korea this spring and I have one year experience at a PS from a couple of years ago. The problem is, is that I didn't really get along with my coteacher and all these new jobs that I'm applying for now require some sort of reference from the past school. I do have another teacher at the school who will go to bat for me and who has her own office line. The problem is, is that I'm worried these guys who'll call will want the school's number or something instead of her direct line and will find out that she wasn't the teacher in charge of me.

Does anybody know exactly how this reference business works? Do they just need a number to call? I do have my certificate of employment. The old coteacher didn't want to help me out really with the reference letter as she claimed that the school didnt have letterheads when it was really her being f-ing lazy and not wanting to do anything for me. I could contact her again and see if she could help out tho...
tob55

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Reference from past public school issue Reply with quote

NQ wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning to go back to Korea this spring and I have one year experience at a PS from a couple of years ago. The problem is, is that I didn't really get along with my coteacher and all these new jobs that I'm applying for now require some sort of reference from the past school. I do have another teacher at the school who will go to bat for me and who has her own office line. The problem is, is that I'm worried these guys who'll call will want the school's number or something instead of her direct line and will find out that she wasn't the teacher in charge of me.

Does anybody know exactly how this reference business works? Do they just need a number to call? I do have my certificate of employment. The old coteacher didn't want to help me out really with the reference letter as she claimed that the school didnt have letterheads when it was really her being f-ing lazy and not wanting to do anything for me. I could contact her again and see if she could help out tho...

Provide them with the certificate of employment and let it go through. With things the way they are now, you would have to have done something really bad in order to not be considered. Just give them the number of the school. Chances are that the fact that teachers are required to move every two - or three years, the person or persons causing you problems in the past are most likely in other schools already. Good luck. Cool
NQ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea- except said dreaded co-teacher is still at the school, despite all the students and teachers hating her! She was supposed to leave last year but somehow got extended by playing the game.

I'm not sure how to go about this...I could just give the school number and give the name of the former head of English there who has moved on. If they ask for a letter on top of the phone number, I have a way around that.
NQ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NQ wrote:
That's a good idea- except said dreaded co-teacher is still at the school, despite all the students and teachers hating her! She was supposed to leave last year but somehow got extended by playing the game.

I'm not sure how to go about this...I could just give the school number and give the name of the former head of English there who has moved on. If they ask for a letter on top of the phone number, I have a way around that.

The school is required by law to issue a certificate of employment (labour standards act).

Article 39 (Certificate of Employment)
(1) If a worker makes a request to issue a certificate
specifying term of employment, job specification, title and wages
or other necessary information even after the retirement of the
worker, the employer shall immediately prepare and issue the
factually correct certificate.
(2) The certificate referred to in paragraph (1) shall only
contain the items that the worker concerned has requested.

http://www.moel.go.kr/english/poli/poliLaw_view.jsp?idx=254&tab=6

They are NOT required to produce it if you have been gone for more than 3 years.
They CAN charge a nominal fee for producing it (1000-3000 won per page/copy)

NQ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
NQ wrote:

The school is required by law to issue a certificate of employment (labour standards act).

Article 39 (Certificate of Employment)
(1) If a worker makes a request to issue a certificate
specifying term of employment, job specification, title and wages
or other necessary information even after the retirement of the
worker, the employer shall immediately prepare and issue the
factually correct certificate.
(2) The certificate referred to in paragraph (1) shall only
contain the items that the worker concerned has requested.

http://www.moel.go.kr/english/poli/poliLaw_view.jsp?idx=254&tab=6

They are NOT required to produce it if you have been gone for more than 3 years.
They CAN charge a nominal fee for producing it (1000-3000 won per page/copy)

No, no. I have my certificate of employment. That's not the problem. The problem is getting a good reference from the school as the coteacher might not give one. The schools I'm applying to are asking for a number for a reference check, and unfortunately she's still there at my old school. I could try taking to her I guess. I still have her contact info...
ippy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, just pop in to school on the pretense of some admin thing or other with some goodies for the staff as a hello/goodbye. It is ALL BUT GUARANTEED that if you didnt like each other, now that youre gone, the problem no longer exists. Just be all smiley, make time to just chat with her, see how she is, how the kids are doing, have a laugh about that one time in class/school when... next thing you know she and you are on kissing terms. If she is literally your only barrier then just have her remember you from your most recent interaction. I dunno, people can be jerks i guess, but most people are far too wrapped up in their own heads to remotely care about ruining someone elses career.
NQ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^That's a good idea but I'm in my home country right now. Arrggh
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just provide other phone number. they wont check. It has never been a problem for me in the past with similar situations
NQ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of other number
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NQ wrote:
What kind of other number

you said that you had a contact number for another teacher at the same school that would give you a good reference.
NQ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I do but she's not an English teacher...
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she has her own personal number, she worked with you and will vouch for you. thats good enough.
NQ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. I bit the bullet and spoke to my co-teacher. Yeah she's cool. I told her I'd give some of my past PPTs in excahnge for the recommendation. She's gonna take credit for em but at this point I don't care.

Thanks for everyone's help here.
Dr. Lipschitz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, no wonder she had a problem with you. -

Bribing her with PPT to give you a recommendation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: