Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have to eat lunch with students

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lahiho

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Have to eat lunch with students Reply with quote

At my current school I have to eat lunch with my kids every day, because of this I don't get a proper lunch break because of this. I have to have my attention on the kids for the whole time (40 minutes).

Does this count as a class? Is this normal? One of my friends mentioned after hearing about it that i should have at least an hour a day where I can leave the work and have a break for myself but currently I don't. I have free classes but it is assumed they are used for lesson planning, so is my boss doing anything wrong by not giving us a proper lunch break?

Last edited by Lahiho on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Have to eat lunch with students Reply with quote

Lahiho wrote:
At my current school I have to eat lunch with my kids every day and don't get a proper lunch break because of this, I have to have my attention on the kids for the whole time (40 minutes).

Korean ESL work conditions hit new lows every month...
ChrisPK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more like babysitting, innit? I saw even university teaching positions (HUFS, I think) had a ridiculous requirement, such as hiking with students on weekends. What's next? Taking a dump together?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By law (labor standards act) you are entitled to a 30 minute break where you can come/go/do-as-you-please after 4 hours of work and 1 hour if it is an 8-hour day.
www.moel.go.kr/english/download_eng.jsp?type=&file=(31)LABORSTANDARDSACT_2012.pdf

pay attention to articles 50 (Article 50 (Working Hours)) and 54 (Article 54 (Recess Hours)).

Ya, your boss is ignoring the law for his convenience.

Your options are:
a) to put up with it or
b) say no.

(50)
(1) Working hours per week shall not exceed forty hours
excluding recess hours.
(2) Working hours per day shall not exceed eight hours
excluding recess hours.
(3) In calculating working hours under paragraphs (1) and
(2),
the waiting hours, etc., a worker spends for work under the
direction and supervision of his/her employer shall be regarded
as working hours.

(54)
(1) An employer shall allow a recess period of more than 30 minutes for every 4 working hours and more than 1 hour for every 8 working hours during the working hours.
(2) A recess period may be freely used by workers.

Lahiho

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, thank you for the information.

What do you mean by recess? just free time that we are able to do whatever we wish with?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lahiho wrote:
Hmm, thank you for the information.

What do you mean by recess? just free time that we are able to do whatever we wish with?

Yes, by law.

Stain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Have to eat lunch with students Reply with quote

Lahiho wrote:
At my current school I have to eat lunch with my kids every day, because of this I don't get a proper lunch break because of this. I have to have my attention on the kids for the whole time (40 minutes).

Does this count as a class? Is this normal? One of my friends mentioned after hearing about it that i should have at least an hour a day where I can leave the work and have a break for myself but currently I don't. I have free classes but it is assumed they are used for lesson planning, so is my boss doing anything wrong by not giving us a proper lunch break?

By any chance do you work for a kindergarten?
Lahiho

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I do, why? What difference does that make?
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lahiho wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Do you really expect 3 year-olds to eat by themselves?
Stain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lahiho wrote:

No difference really. Only that eating with older students would be considered a break; whereas, eating with kindergarteners is like eating with monkeys on cocaine. Other than that it's completely the same.
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Lahiho wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Do you really expect 3 year-olds to eat by themselves?

He has a right to expect that the employer find someone else to supervise the students so he can have a break (that person would then be given a break at another time).
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

He has a right to expect 30 minutes of break after 4 hours of work or 60 minutes in a full day.

If he works in a kindy from 9-1, gets a break from 1-2, and then does prep and elementary from 2-6 the employer is following the letter and spirit of the law.

The thing to note is that the employee is free to do as they please during the break (stay, leave, eat, sleep, etc). The employer cannot dictate that the employee remain on the premises or do work during that break time.

The employer can expect the employee to "eat with the kids" as part of his duties provided it falls within the limits of the law regarding breaks.

Whether it constitutes a "class hour" is contractual and subject to negotiation (since there is no formal instruction taking place).

It is not a matter for labor law and does not (subject to the terms of what is a "class hour under the contract) constitute "overtime" if it falls within a working day.

The employer can certainly expect that it is covered under the "other duties" portion of a contract even if it is not explicitly listed and a regular part of his contracted duties as a salaried (not hourly) employee (and also subject to negotiation in future contracts).

CentralCali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
The employer cannot dictate that the employee remain on the premises or do work during that break time.

Last school I was assigned to in Busan tried that "you must remain on the premises during lunch" malarkey. Sadly, the BMOE section that was supposed to support the foreign teachers was also clueless.

Just one of many reasons I bailed on that contract in 2012 after five good years at another school prior to the hellish one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: