Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60 Minute Mock Presentation for Private Hagwon... normal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhan89

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: 60 Minute Mock Presentation for Private Hagwon... normal? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I just had a 2nd round interview this past Friday for a private well-known (from what I hear) hagwon in Daechi-Dong area. I'm a gyopo, (it was for a gyopo-specific position), and I had to give a 60 minute mock lesson to the head of the hagwon. They also recorded me in video.

Now, this seems like the hagwon that doesn't play the bullshit ding dong games like other schools, which I liked, for the following reasons:

After my first interview, they made me write a timed essay in 40 minutes on issues regarding health.

After the interview, they gave me literature (a french short story) and history materials to present (3 sections on pre-world war II). I would say the materials was advanced middle school stuff equivalent to the states or even maybe basic 9th grade stuff.

So... preparing that 60 minute lecture took me about 3 days to prepare because I wanted to make it perfect and since I was running around seoul for documents, etc.

After I gave the presentation, she said I'd prepared a lot of materials and asked for my cell phone number and said a decision would be made approx. in 1 week, nothing else. No real indication of like or dislike. As soon as she got those information from me, she said thanks and left. I really want this position as it pays really really good...

(I also managed to sneak a look on their computer for past mock presentation and it seemed feeble at most compared to mine, but I'm worried that I might've been overly academic in my presentation since I had a wealth of analysis and critical reasoning type of questions that I hypothetically raised to the imaginary students.)

Although, I did present in a confident and energetic manner and I think I managed to make her laugh at one point.

So my question to you guys seasoned and experienced is...

Is it normal to give 1 hour presentations for hagwons and if so then I would assume that it is an indication that they are not trying to hire some joe schmoe trying to play kiddy games despite maybe a minimal amount of fluffs? (which is why I didn't create a silly presentation but a real informative and still somewhat entertaining lecture).

I can not fathom creating an hour long presentation based on fluff. Wouldn't know where to begin...

I looked at their curriculum and it seems pretty intensive. They include debates and speech as part of their curriculum.

So now, I'm just going to have to wait for a week for a decision and I am in my OMG mode....

I hope I get it since I turned down 4 other positions in seoul for this opportunity. Exclamation Exclamation

give me your thoughts!!
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it normal to give 1 hour presentations for hagwons

No.

Was there anything else you wanted to know?
dhan89

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, do you maybe want to .... expand... on your one worded-answer?

Thanks. so much. I appreciate your sarcasm.

Don't know why you would even take the time to reply if you're not trying to be helpful in any significant way.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
Is it normal to give 1 hour presentations for hagwons

No.

Was there anything else you wanted to know?

+1
Peter258

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a hell place to work...
60 min mock? Christ.

What annoys me about demo mock teaching is that the management/employers refuse to truly act like students. It makes the whole thing pointless.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it isn't normal and please tell me this job pays more then 2.1...
Hokie21

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:
No, it isn't normal and please tell me this job pays more then 2.1...

Didn't you hear him? He said it pays "really really good"
dhan89

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, for the replies Cool

Okay, so a little update.

Yes, the pay starts off at 4.2 and from what I heard from people here they say it is a pretty stressful environment but what the hell man, I'm still young and have student loans to pay off...

About the 60 minute mock.. it was a pretty nerve-wracking and brutal experience since I've never presented anything for 60 minute straight before but it was also exhilarating in a weird way.

The good news though is they just called me hours ago to offer me the job... so we'll see how it goes.

----
tophatcat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhan89 wrote:
Hey guys, for the replies Cool

Okay, so a little update.

Yes, the pay starts off at 4.2 and from what I heard from people here they say it is a pretty stressful environment but what the hell man, I'm still young and have student loans to pay off...

About the 60 minute mock.. it was a pretty nerve-wracking and brutal experience since I've never presented anything for 60 minute straight before but it was also exhilarating in a weird way.

The good news though is they just called me hours ago to offer me the job... so we'll see how it goes.

----

I haven't seen the contract. If it's 4.2 + housing and benefits, it might be worth the stress for 1 year, or even 2 years. I have never liked the idea of debt hanging over my head, I would much prefer to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

Happy Days with the sun at your back and a cool breeze in your face.
cazzy3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your hagwon is probably for the most advanced students that attend places like Daewon. The students' levels are very high and they need to make sure the teacher is capable of teaching these levels.

Considering many of the students will attend universities abroad and speak English near fluently, I think it is standard for them to make sure their applicants have a strong command of the English language and knowledge of subject areas the students will need to understand.

Good luck.
GGGee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for you! nice job.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many contact hours a day? How many contact days per month? CDI pays well, but their work hours are loopy from what I've gathered on more than one negative thread.
Nester Noodlemon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
How many contact hours a day? How many contact days per month? CDI pays well, but their work hours are loopy from what I've gathered on more than one negative thread.

Someone has recently stated that he and others are not being paid at his CDI branch.
ChrisPK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nester Noodlemon wrote:
PRagic wrote:

Someone has recently stated that he and others are not being paid at his CDI branch.

I am pretty sure the CDI branch in Daechi-dong is one of the best. It's in the center of Gangnam, so the majority of their kids must be from affluent families.
ChrisPK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:

I think he'll work something like 30 hrs per week with a week or ten day vacation per yr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: