Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is TEFL for public school mandatory?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ippy



Joined: 25 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: is TEFL for public school mandatory? Reply with quote

Ive been reading a few posts about teaching in Korea and surprised to find that TEFL appears likely essential. Were i to, at some point in the ever distant future, decide upon a return to korea, does that mean my years of experience teaching in Korea arent as valued as they once were? Is tefl mandatory or is it like the old days where theyd list a thousand qualifications and hope they sorta get someone as close to those qualifications as possible? Also, online tefl okay? or are we talking the 120 hour in class expensive kind?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pinehurst



Joined: 14 Aug 2011

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last two years it has become a requirement for most PS jobs. You don't need one if you have a degree in English or Elementary Ed. PS school teachers had to get one in order to renew. If you have 2 years teaching you do not need the 20 hours in class TEFL, as far as I know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttompatz



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Location: Kwangju, South Korea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you qualify at level 2 or better (EPIK pay scales) then you do not need a TEFL but it is recommended.

If you are below level 2 then it is required or your application just hits the circular filing cabinet.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ippy



Joined: 25 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dudes, had a look at the pay scales, but it only lists "tefl certificate of 100 hours+". It makes no reference to in-class or online? Since timings would be problematic (where i currently am doesnt gel with the korean start/end term dates), it would cause some logistics headaches. So my best option is obviously the 120 hour online course. Plus, you know, 7 years in class teaching experience at middle school level (which i see is slowly being faded out - yikes!) so im pretty much okay with class time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nimrand



Joined: 02 Mar 2013

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20-hour in class is not a strict requirement for TEFL, but their announcements state that those with the 20 hours in class component will have *priority* over those that don't. So, unless you have teaching experience or an English/education degree, the 20 hour in class component will probably make a huge difference. However, I can say from experience that you CAN get an EPIK interview with just a 100 hour online TEFL course. I did, although I didn't make the cut in the end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Waygeek



Joined: 27 Feb 2013

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: is TEFL for public school mandatory? Reply with quote

ippy wrote:
surprised to find that TEFL appears likely essential.


I'm surprised that you were surprised at that, frankly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmaw01



Joined: 13 May 2013

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an education degree plus 2 years of teaching what level would you be placed at? I'm reading the epik pay scale now and it's a little confusing to me.

It seems that a valid teacher's license will just place you at level one. Would 2 years of experience push you to level two?

thanks.

Oh, Nevermind. I got it. One full year of teaching plus an education degree and you will be at level two. I believe that's correct.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttompatz



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Location: Kwangju, South Korea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd start at level 2 and move up to level 2+ after a year in Korea then level 1 a year after that.

It looks as though level 3 applicants (basic BA, no TEFL and no experience) will NOT be hired this intake.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ippy



Joined: 25 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: is TEFL for public school mandatory? Reply with quote

Waygeek wrote:
ippy wrote:
surprised to find that TEFL appears likely essential.


I'm surprised that you were surprised at that, frankly.


Im surpised that youd be surprised at my surprise to be honest.


Last edited by ippy on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Weigookin74



Joined: 26 Oct 2009

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmaw01 wrote:
If you have an education degree plus 2 years of teaching what level would you be placed at? I'm reading the epik pay scale now and it's a little confusing to me.

It seems that a valid teacher's license will just place you at level one. Would 2 years of experience push you to level two?

thanks.

Oh, Nevermind. I got it. One full year of teaching plus an education degree and you will be at level two. I believe that's correct.


Wouldn't an ed degree put you at a level one automatically? Think that's 2.5 mill a month and more if you live in a country or gun. After two years, you become a one plus and go up to 2.7 plus any rural allowances.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I-am-me



Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Location: Hermit Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a filipina married to a Korean hired to teach without a TESOL certificate. She doesnt have Korean citizenship. Maybe rules are differerent per nationality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
ttompatz



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Location: Kwangju, South Korea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I-am-me wrote:
I know of a filipina married to a Korean hired to teach without a TESOL certificate. She doesnt have Korean citizenship. Maybe rules are differerent per nationality.


She would be on an F6.
E2 visa requirements don't matter.

MOE simply requires a degree and clean CBC and valid status of sojourn to work as a teacher.

She would be hired the same as a unlicensed Korean contract teacher.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ippy



Joined: 25 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm if the 120 hour tefl must be in class. I dont see any word on the EPik site that it has to be - they only list it has to be over 100 hours. But the recruiter im working with (ione of the big boys), lists in their FAQ that it needs to be an in-class TEFL. If i have two years teaching experience in Korea (and 5 in Japan), at public school, are the lines a little more blurred? Im currently in Thailand, its a bit hot, nice as it is, i cant see it working out, and my contract only goes until the end of this term anyways.

This means:

No in class requirement = can apply for positions starting just after term begins (not the best i know, but i dont really like leaving contracts early and screwing over the kids).
In class requirement = more cost (significantly), and i will also have to take a month extra to complete it since i cant obviously just wander off mid term and do it. The next window would be october, which means at the earliest i could start in November, and im fairly sure most BoEs would just figure at that late on in the term, they might as well wait until March.

Its a bit of a tricky one (it always is with me). I was hoping the recruiter could tell me direct, but they rescheduled the appointment at the last minute so won't be speaking to them again until next week.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pinehurst



Joined: 14 Aug 2011

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know GEPIK does not make you have the in class TEFL if you already have 2 years teaching. Here is the link to EPIK:
http://www.epik.go.kr/board/detail.epik?num=742&pageIndex=1&bid=1
Since it says "We will give priority..." I would think you would be successful since your pay grade will be 2+.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ranman



Joined: 18 Aug 2012

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ippy wrote:
Can anyone confirm if the 120 hour tefl must be in class. I dont see any word on the EPik site that it has to be - they only list it has to be over 100 hours. But the recruiter im working with (ione of the big boys), lists in their FAQ that it needs to be an in-class TEFL. If i have two years teaching experience in Korea (and 5 in Japan), at public school, are the lines a little more blurred? Im currently in Thailand, its a bit hot, nice as it is, i cant see it working out, and my contract only goes until the end of this term anyways.

This means:

No in class requirement = can apply for positions starting just after term begins (not the best i know, but i dont really like leaving contracts early and screwing over the kids).
In class requirement = more cost (significantly), and i will also have to take a month extra to complete it since i cant obviously just wander off mid term and do it. The next window would be october, which means at the earliest i could start in November, and im fairly sure most BoEs would just figure at that late on in the term, they might as well wait until March.

Its a bit of a tricky one (it always is with me). I was hoping the recruiter could tell me direct, but they rescheduled the appointment at the last minute so won't be speaking to them again until next week.


100 hours can be online, but I think they changed it this year to where you have to have an extra 20 hours in-class to apply.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International