Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joint Bank Account

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Joint Bank Account Reply with quote

I want to open a joint bank account with my wife. I went to a local bank with a Korean co-worker the other day, and was told that Koreans don't use join accounts (?). Does anyone know of a bank that will allow us to open a joint account showing both our names, and issuing two ATM cards? As part of my wife's process of immigrating to Canada, we need to show such documentation as evidence of our relationship history.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean banks don't do that. I asked my wife about that 3 years ago. Your history should be well documented by things such as a wedding and afidavits from family & friends.

If you have a child that will go a long way as well.
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No joint accounts (in name, anyway) but you can get accounts with more than 1 cash card.
My wife is finalising all the stuff related to the account today.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm did you get married?

Marriage License should be enough...maybe they think she is a "green card seeker?"

I guess the longer you wait to go back after you married, the better it looks, or if you have a kid together, that is probably all that is needed to show you are not going to fraud the Gov't. IE she isnt just a "green card seeker".
blah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been researching Immigration Canada policies for over a year now. I have filled out all the forms (about 70 pages), spoken with CIC people, etc. And I participate on three Immigration Canada forums. Unfortunately, being married does not guarentee anything -- nor does having a child. Yes, there are many types of evidence accepted, But the "best" include financial statements such as joint bank accounts, and bill stubs with both names included on them. It's not logical, It's Canadian government decision making. For them It's not about love and family. It's about money. But thanks for the replies. It's just one less piece of evidence. No huge deal.
anae

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah,

We never had a joint account, joint bills or anything when we applied to get my husband landed status in 2000. All of the stuff about letters, phone records, photographs etc. they never even asked for and we were never interviewed. I think if you have been married for any length of time in Korea, they won't give it a second thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: