Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My start up costs in Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter Mitty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panthermodern wrote:
Quote:
This is a running total of my start up costs in Japan.

Wrong board

Not hardly.

More than a few people here think about making the jump to Japan, so a topic like this is perfetly on-topic in the "Off-Topic" forum.
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Mitty wrote:
panthermodern wrote:
Quote:
This is a running total of my start up costs in Japan.

Wrong board

Not hardly.

More than a few people here think about making the jump to Japan, so a topic like this is perfetly on-topic in the "Off-Topic" forum.

I agree. This is totally justified. Please, PM - don't turn into a Matthew's World. Besides - this is the OFF TOPIC forum.

Cheers,

Joe
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger-That's a million won for key money. Granted, it's cheaper key money than Seoul, but it's not his rent.

Hope you get lucky, whatthefunk. But never forget Pohang and the god of chicken!
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My start up costs in Japan Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Sat May 31, 2008 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least you got a place to stay. Good luck with the job hunt.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what your saying is.. you have spent 1.6 million or 2 million,..
you have moved over there, found a house, moved in paid rent and key money and now is out looking for a job?
sounds sweet to me man...
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's at this point that I'd like to gloat over my free living space when I head there next month. Wink
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its tough at the start, all those up front payments and extra costs until you get yourself established. Just getting to and from interviews is bad enough, when you include having to eat out all the time while you do it...the whole starting up all over again is a total pain...but hang in there and it'll work out in the long run.
I kinda had a similar experience in Taiwan before I fled back to nice and familiar korea....but I was more foolish and took less money than you. The thing you don't realise is that other countries don't look after you and set you up to the same degree as they do in good ol korea. You have to pay a lot of stuff and sort it all out yourself...
But it sounds like you've had the forward planning to make your transition succeed.
If it doesn't work out, you know you can always return to good old Gimchiland...
matko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: My start up costs in Japan Reply with quote

little mixed girl wrote:
whatthefunk wrote:
This is a running total of my start up costs in Japan. I came here with no job, no apartment etc. Ive been here four days and my money is flying. Just thought Id post for all those interested.

3 nights in a cheap hotel - 12,000 yen
    3 months key money for apartment (one month returnable) - 96,000 yen
    First 20 days of rent (moved in on the 10th, 20 days until rent collection) - 21,000 yen
    Required apartment insurance - 6,000 yen
    Deposit for gas company - 10,000 yen
    Four days at about 3,000 yen per day living, traveling, job hunting costs - 12,000 yen
    Total - 157,000 yen and I still dont have a phone or job

omfg, i wanna do the jet program...crap if i have to pay $$ like that...
Ill update this total every few days. Ever gotten the feeling that youve made a huge mistake???

You don't have to worry about any of that on the jet program. In my opinion, it's the sweetest deal in Asia!

Good luck wtf!!!

Sounds to me like you're not doing too badly for a guy who has been there less than a week!

Just take ANY job and get your visa! After that you're a free agent with his own pad!!

Awesome!!!
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
IThe thing you don't realise is that other countries don't look after you and set you up to the same degree as they do in good ol korea. You have to pay a lot of stuff and sort it all out yourself....

Believe me - the wangjangnim would rather not do it, but seeing that the racist housing policies in SK are far worse than in Japan - there's a reason that they "look after you."

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by Joe Thanks on Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
eamo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatthefunk,

I went through the same experience as you in early 2001. My job in Japan had, compared to Korea, big start-up costs.

For example, let me tell you about a teacher who arrived at my hagwon in Korea last year with 40 bucks in her pocket!!! She had to borrow a bit but she made it through to the next payday. That's how different Korea is to Japan.

I found a job that meant having a have a car. The company I worked for was good enough to get me a Corrolla on monthly payments so that wasn't too bad. However, I then discovered that to park the car i had to pay 70,000 won each month for a space 200 meters from my small apartment (which, of course, I was fully paying the rent for)

I'm interested to know what pay you expect. I worked for 280,000 yen/month. I found I could live okay, party a bit, and have maybe 30,000-40,000 yen leftover each month.

Many things in Japan can be done cheaply, i.e. eating and drinking. Almost everything else is a lot more expensive than Korea.

Hope you're talking to Matko for advice.

Good luck.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Got settled in the apartment last night. I think I have made the best possible connection in the world. Sugar, my landlord, has adopted me as his foreign son. I met the family yesterday. Hes helped me getting everything sorted for the apartment and his daughter has offered to help me with anything else over the weekend. He speaks perfect english and seems to know quite alot of other foreigners. He is currently asking them for possible job leads.
Still need a phone.... Attempted to get one yesterday with no assistance. Pulled out the phrase book and dictionary but still couldnt figure out the service agreement. Dont really want to sign something I dont understand.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool so the far whatthefunk.. at least you are committed and set the roots down.. so no matter what everything is established to set yourself up good quite soon.

The phone is going to be essential though as a way to contact you for potential job offers however. How soon will you get that?
matko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for a cell phone or a land line or both?

Cell phones are easy to get and land lines don't need to be bought out right. You can rent them. I pay less than 3,000 yen for my land line a month and it only cost me 2,000 yen to set up. You are really lucky to have a Japanese person to help you with translating.

Ask them about it

Ps. a cell phone can be quite reasonable or really expensive depending on how much you use it.

Good luck
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're posting this in this forum WTF...completely relevant I reckon. Sounds like you're doing well so far, hope your landlord connection pays off. Good luck man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: