Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aggressive interviews - any tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Aggressive interviews - any tips? Reply with quote

[Edit]

Last edited by Moldy Rutabaga on Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Aggressive interviews - any tips? Reply with quote

Moldy Rutabaga wrote:
5. We want someone with four years experience, and you have 2-1/2. Why are you applying?

At this point I blew the interview by angrily replying, "Why did you call me for an interview if it's not enough?"

I would have answered "By specifying that you were looking for someone with four years of experience, it suggests you are looking for someone reliable and with a proven track record. It also suggests you do care about your English program and your students. While I do not have the four years requested, I can provide you with references that demonstrate I do have the qualities you are looking for. Wouldn't it be better for everyone if I could start sooner rather than coming back in another year and a half to apply again? "

Quote:
Is this normal for interviews? Generally, at home if you list a previous job, discuss it, and give a contact, people take it on faith. These interviewers wanted written documentation proving I finished high school. Is this usual?

At a job where what you have listed doesn't matter, then why bother checking? Does having a high school diploma really matter when applying for a job as a fuel transfer technician? However, if it's relevant, most employers will check the claims out.

I've been listed as a reference on many resumes, and usually the only time I ever received phone calls was when my old employees were applying for management type jobs.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would have answered "By specifying that you were looking for someone with four years of experience, it suggests you are looking for someone reliable and with a proven track record...

This would have been a better answer. Sigh--my German temper. Why am I so angry all the time in Korea? Cool

Ken:>
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, the "grilled prisoner" method of job interviews is the standard here in asia.
sakamuras

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Aggressive interviews - any tips? Reply with quote

Moldy Rutabaga wrote:

2. Why don't you have documented proof here of your degrees?

ummm...i'd say this is quite important. you can blame your foreign friends who lie and get caught regarding their fake degrees for this.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you were a little underprepared for your interview. Always bring all documentation that might be required with you, even if not specifically asked to. Additionally prepare answers to questions that you expect ahead of time.

Not bring references with you is being very unprepared
Gord gave you the correct answer for the experience question
if you had references you would have proof of your job experience

more than one experience - easy answer I wanted to diversify my experience so that I could bring a broader perspective to my career.
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Aggressive interviews - any tips? Reply with quote

I checked out the resume on your web page. I hope the one you submitted was more professional that that one. If you refer potential employers to your web page, I'd leave off the pictures and tailor it more to the type of job you are seeking. You threw everything on that one and most employers aren't interested in your 'Self-published works of humor, short fiction, and drama.' Also, on that resume, it didn't even look like you have had 2 1/2 years ESL teaching experience.

Why don't you have documented proof of your degrees, if you're applying for a job? At least bring copies of your degrees and transcripts.

If you don't have letters of reccomendation from other employers, you might want to prepare a list - typewritten - of references and their addresses. You could even provide envelopes, with stamps, though that might be overkill. For a job where I got five months paid vacation, though, I'd spend a little jack, if I thought it would help me get the job.

I saw a thread a couple of days ago and one poster (Beaver) referred to another post in which he gave a great run down of ways to prepare for your interview. I'd try to find it, if I were you. One suggestion was to bring copies of lesson plans that you have used. It works, I gave a couple of university interviewers a copy of a plan I had brought in and they offered me the job on the spot.

I guess the best thing to do is to chalk it up to experience and prepare for the next interview better.

Good luck.

By the way, are you sure it's your German blood that causes your temper to flare? Most Germans I know, have been pretty cool and repressed as far as emptions are concerned. Especially in my family.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resume on my web page is a very general one and is not the one I give to ESL employers-- that is in the form of a CV and doesn't have animated Gifs on it!

Thanks, gypsyfish, and to everyone who has posted so far. This is all useful.

I'm only partly German anyway.

oldfort

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first telephone interview I had with a Korean school director, he asked me what my father thought about my going away to teach in Korea, but I was anticipating something like that....and then he asked me what my brother thought about it! I had made no mention of having siblings, I'm just not used to potential employers wondering about my siblings and what they think. Confused
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been e-mailed with a job offer to the same university. I say this not to boast, but because it's a strange, strange world. I did not ever expect to land this job.

peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: