Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone ever hear of ESS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antiamerican

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Anyone ever hear of ESS? Reply with quote

Has anyone hear ever heard of ESS, Nampo-dong? They're an institute charging rent. Is this the usual procedure here for teachers? That is, to be charged 150,000 a month rent, and on top of that 60,000 refundable security deposit for the first six months?
visviva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless that rent includes heat, electric, cable TV and an internet connection, it's out of line. Institutes commonly charge an "apartment maintenance" fee for supplied housing, but it's an order of magnitude less than 150k.

Of course, if it's in your contract, it's in your contract. It's perfectly legal for them to charge rent. Is Nampo-dong somewhere in Seoul? From what I hear, that's a great city to work in if you want to lose all your money...
The Den

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I worked for ESS in 97 and 98. I had worked at two other bum contracts before my stint there. ESS was the only contract I finished. I was treated well. Good housing with an ocean view. The rent thing is a way for them to get around some kind of tax scheme. So yes it is a bit of a disadvantage. However I felt the advantages far outweighed the disadvantages. Some of those were:

-Paid on time.
-Not bothered by the administration.
-Western program coordinator. (Mine was great)
-Split shifts but great students who really put in an effort to learn.
-a decent commute
-No worries about airfare, severance, etc.
-We got a week off at Christmas. I don't know if they still give it.

Your working situation could largely depend on the other foreigners you are working with/sharing living space with. The last three months they put this total pr**k in my apartment with me. There was not a lot I could do. I just finished up and left. Anyway I am planning another trip to Korea in the summer time and I am definitly going to stop in at ESS or apply there.
The Den

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Nampo dong is one of the downtown areas of Pusan. Good subway access. (if you are not too paranoid after Daigu)
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: ESS Reply with quote

Here are some previous posts about ESS:

Not sure if the Nampo dong branch is mentioned but even if it isn't it may give you some idea of how the franchise is run in general. Ask for the EMail addresses of the other foreign teachers at the institute and ask them what its like. Ask many questions, seek many opnions, then, finally, trust your own instincts.
===================================
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=132710143896
Re: ESS is hell
Posted By: Pusan Boy - [email protected]
Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2002, at 7:10 a.m.
In Response To: any comments on Pagoda, ESS? (Anna)
In the last year ESS has lost 2 head foreign teachers and of the 15 native speakers who have signed on since 2000, just 1 remained for a second year!. ESS had tried to shaft some teachers out of their severance pay, there have also been a couple of midnight runs by disgruntled teachers. The reason is the president (Ted), has the job by inheritency and is clueless about managing a business.
These days he is even in a worse mood because another hagwon has opened across the street from them and their student rates have dropped pretty sharply. Take my advice and stay away from ESS.
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=132710143980
ESS Must Be Blacklisted!
Posted By: X-ESS - [email protected]
Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2002, at 8:00 p.m.
In Response To: Re: any comments on Pagoda, ESS? (Kiss It (__X__))
I'm also a former ESS teacher who found Ted a disaster as a manager. I know the midnight runs and illegal hold on teachers severance pays to be fact.....Someone should put some time into including ESS on all the Korea blacklists.
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=132710144219
Re: ESS Must Be Blacklisted!
Posted By: some guy
Date: Friday, 27 September 2002, at 5:09 a.m.
In Response To: ESS Must Be Blacklisted! (X-ESS)
Wow! All these earth shattering comments about ESS. I thought I was the only one unhappy with my treatment there. I did get my severance and stuff, at least I think I did (since they conveniently stopped giving pay slips for the last 3 months of my contract) So I don't really know how bad I was shafted. I did get a lump sum check at the end, but not as big as I thought it should be. I know I had to work a lot of extra "overtime" because the coordinator "suddenly" decided to stay in Miami. What were the managers thinking, sending him there anyway? I don't think I was paid for the extra hours, but I have no way of checking. ESS was a great place to work when I started, but after about 4 months and a new coordinator things got progressively worse. Lack of communication and miscommunication became the norm. Still, I think ESS is probably head and shoulders above a lot of hagwans. I wish ESS well, and hold no grudges. I just hope Ted learns how to treat people better or pretty soon nobody will work there.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice you only posted the negative comments about ESS, hmm, why would that be I wonder? ESS has it's problems but it's
WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY above most hagwans. It's a decent place to work.
Don't let the scare mongers fool you.
Good Luck
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
I notice you only posted the negative comments about ESS, hmm, why would that be I wonder? ESS has it's problems but it's
WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY above most hagwans. It's a decent place to work.
Don't let the scare mongers fool you.
Good Luck

I have nothing personal against ESS and nothing would give me greater pleasure than to be able to find some positive reports about this chain but so far I have been unable to find any apart from the one above which I have now added to my files.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what happened to all the replies that came to those posts? They should be together I would think, probably within a day or so of the original. I know I didn't imagine them. I'm not blaming you, I just find it curious.
By the way, if ESS is a chain it's news to me. As far as I know there are only 2 schools which are run independantly. Both in Busan.
Cheers
Some waygug-in
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
Well, what happened to all the replies that came to those posts? They should be together I would think, probably within a day or so of the original. I know I didn't imagine them. I'm not blaming you, I just find it curious.
Some waygug-in

A lot of the older archive material I have came from the poster "Kiss It (__X__)" so that is a question for him, I personally however add good reports to my archives as well as bad. Sadly I probably will not be able to retrive the positive responses on ESS because they were posted on the old board and the threads have been erased.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: