Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brian Keenan has died.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
it's full of stars

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you are from Yankistan, I seem to recall you being involved in a little tussle with a bunch of magic carpet herders. Seems to be taking considerably longer than a week.
Julius

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMO wrote:
How has Irish emancipation been economic? The Free State(the republic of Ireland) was founded in 1921.

-and remained poor until it joined the EU and recently became the celtic tiger.

Quote:
Technically emancipation in Northern Ireland has as yet not arrived. That was what Keenan was fighting for.

I see that, but guns have achieved nothing but stalemate.
Now the fighting is over, people can invest in NI and the ethnic rivalry won't matter so much.

in any case, I would say emancipation has arrived for the catholics of N.I.
they have their fair share of jobs, education and opportunities nowadays.

Unless by "emancipation" you mean becoming a majority in NI, subsuming Ulster into the Republic, and dominating the protestants? that would be triumphalism rather than emancipation.
JMO

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
JMO wrote:
How has Irish emancipation been economic? The Free State(the republic of Ireland) was founded in 1921.

-and remained poor until it joined the EU and recently became the celtic tiger.

Quote:
Technically emancipation in Northern Ireland has as yet not arrived. That was what Keenan was fighting for.

I see that, but guns have achieved nothing but stalemate.
Now the fighting is over, people can invest in NI and the ethnic rivalry won't matter so much.

in any case, I would say emancipation has arrived for the catholics of N.I.
they have their fair share of jobs, education and opportunities nowadays.

Unless by "emancipation" you mean becoming a majority in NI, subsuming Ulster into the Republic, and dominating the protestants? that would be triumphalism rather than emancipation.

I see what you are saying here, but the whole, emancipation is economic thing does not follow. Ireland was free for a long long time before it became rich.

In northern ireland the attainment of civil rights has not really stemmed from the economy either.
Bingo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Ireland is, and will, remain a part of the UK. The IRA campaign was a massive waste of time, money and lives. The IRA was also the worst violator of human rights in N. Ireland. The entire campaign, in which Keenan played a central part, was an abomination.

A shared Northern Ireland, with both communities remaining different but equal, is the way forward. A united Ireland is a pipe dream.

Goodbye Mr. Keenan. You and your ilk won't be missed.
yawarakaijin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's full of stars wrote:
And if you are from Yankistan, I seem to recall you being involved in a little tussle with a bunch of magic carpet herders. Seems to be taking considerably longer than a week.

Buuuuurrnnnn. LOL
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you said that in English on an English teachers board, while employed as an English teacher. Embarassed

I am not English; I speak English (as well as French) because they *beep* forced all native people and immigrants to speak their *beep* language.

My ancestry is Welsh and Hungarian, one *beep* dead language killed by English people and another going strong because they fought every *beep* invader to their plains for a thousand years with a a tenacity equalled only by a people like the Koreans.

Goodbye Mr, Keenan. Your kind will be missed. The Irish tried...
BS.Dos.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a bummer. I'm sure the Koreans' would much rather be learning Welsh.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BS.Dos. wrote:
Yeah, it's a bummer. I'm sure the Koreans' would much rather be learning Welsh.

What a stupid thing to say. Think about it. Someone has to be the oppressor?
BS.Dos.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, like the French?
the ireland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know i'm joining this late but hold on

Julius wrote:

you seem to be lacking any relevant information on the role / place of ulster in Ireland....ulster has nine counties, not all these nine counties are in the north of ireland, Monaghan, Cavan, and Donegal are a part of the irish free state and when you have any geographical intelligence, then maybe you arguments might be valid and constructive but until then keep your ignorance to yourself!!

as for the other comment

And you said that in English on an English teachers board, while employed as an English teacher.

we wer forced to speak english, it was illegal to speak irish when we were invaded by the english, we still lrean irish in school and there are still some areas that only speak irish...so you my friend...D�n do bheal....is that enough irish for you???

please ignore any spelling mistakes throughout, english is not my official language Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
JMO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ireland wrote:

please ignore any spelling mistakes throughout, english is not my official language Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Which gaeltacht are you from? I got to admit I basically havn't spoken any Irish since High School.. and was never fluent but I was pretty good although ive lost most of it. It is a beautiful language. Was reading an old poem called fittingly 'the gaeltacht' the other day and it all came back. Good times.
Jandar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always see the remains of dead languages circulating in the vibrance and color of the surviving languages.
the ireland

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jandar wrote:
We always see the remains of dead languages circulating in the vibrance and color of the surviving languages.

says the guy who is prob from america, a country who don't have their own language....dropping out certain vowels because you find words too difficult to spell, does not a language make!!

if you are from Canada i apologise....not for my comment, just cos you are from little america!! Razz Razz Razz
Smithington

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Irish friend told me that the dude who used to run the IRA has also died - Rory O'Brady I think it was. He was the IRA top dog for most the 1970s and lost the leadership of Sinn Fein to Gerry Adams in the 1980s. I think the dying off of the old generation is what N. Ireland needs. Politics in particular needs to be dominated by people who played no part in paramilitaries. McGuinnes et al have to be tolerated for now, but hopefully the next generation of political leaders will have no blood on their hands.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working at a teaching position, we had a teacher who was from England. He would say that while he was in school in England all these "free Ireland" foreigners from the US (with Irish heritage) would talk about something stupid like being pro-IRA or something. The Irish in the school would tell them to get lost. They wouldn't have anything to do with them. I don't think he was talking about Protestants necessarily either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: