Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I give a thank you gift?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustJohn

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Should I give a thank you gift? Reply with quote

I was having a problem with something of mine and at the request of the VP one of the other teachers spent practically all day working on it and was able to get it fixed. I guess he called in another guy to help him on it even.

This saved me a HUGE hassle, having to go to Seoul and praying I could get it taken care of with my almost non-existent Korean. I would like to do something nice for the teacher or both of them.

Do you think giving a gift would be good/acceptable? What would you get and would you get something for the guy that was called in or not? Would cash be a good idea?

(I'm newish here and have no idea how this would usually be handled in Korea. Also don't have an oven to bake goodies for them.)
Imrahil

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are both men, a nice bottle of whisky. (I am serious)
JustJohn

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE whiskey is really expensive. I want to show my appreciation, but I think it would have cost me about 30k otherwise, so being the tightwad that I am I'm not likely to spend more than that.

Still, thanks for the thought. Might be a possibility.
Imrahil

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A half decent bottle of whisky should only cost between 40,000 - 50,000 won. Plus if you are smart, you might be able to arrange a drinking session with them.
JustJohn

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use a little more input...
Stormy

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done the thankyou gift thing with teachers that have helped me out, but it's always been help on a smaller scale & they were female. I've usually just bought them chocolates. I've also had a thankyou gift of biscuits given to me. On Friday the VP gave me an entire cake for no obvious reason. Shocked
For a guy I would probably buy a bottle of something - maybe a nice bottle of wine? You can get a good Aussie bottle of red at 7-11 for about 15,000 won.
It sounds to me like a thankyou gift would be entirely appropriate and a decent thing to do. I'd only buy something for the guy that was called in though if I knew him or saw him regularly - generosity only stretches so far!
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: thank you gift. Reply with quote

How about getting a "thank you" card, and write in it how much you appreciate what he/she did, and saying "if I can do anything for you, please ask".

Some how I think that is nicer then getting a present.

Or of you want to buy something, get a bag of coffee and give it with the card.
icicle

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think giving something is appropriate ... but it doesn't have to be something big or expensive to be appreciated ... I have found that chocolate always works well ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: