Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avoiding the "Us vs. them" mentality in the workpl
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rapier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Avoiding the "Us vs. them" mentality in the workpl Reply with quote

I've been at my new hagwon just over a month now. When i arrived, the native teachers seemed to be pitted against the korean teachers in an uncomfortable standoff. the atmosphere of tension and hostility is palpable. On arriving, i was welcomed in by the other waegooks who told me all about the dictator boss and not to trust the korean staff etc etc.
But I prefer to keep an open mind. I don't believe that it should inevitably be a game of "us and them". Besides, I think this hagwon is markedly better than my previous ones; the other waegooks here haven't worked anywhere else in Korea and don't realise they have a lot of things quite good- (paid in full, on time, an organised set up with a syllabus and a good workable system etc.

Every time I talk happily or positively to the koreans they stare at me like some sort of traitor; But I just want to get on with everyone, without taking sides, and have a relaxed working environment... I don't want to be in one camp, or the other.., but is it inevitable??
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoiding the "Us vs. them" mentality in the wo Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
Every time I talk happily or positively to the koreans they stare at me like some sort of traitor; But I just want to get on with everyone, without taking sides, and have a relaxed working environment... I don't want to be in one camp, or the other.., but is it inevitable??

There's good news and bad news. The good news is that it is NOT inevitable. Simply work at a hakwon where there are no other foreigners. Problem solved.

The bad news is that most foreigners are unable to function without other foreigners, and if forced to do this, would run crying back to their home countries.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Avoiding the "Us vs. them" mentality in the wo Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
I've been at my new hagwon just over a month now. When i arrived, the native teachers seemed to be pitted against the korean teachers in an uncomfortable standoff. the atmosphere of tension and hostility is palpable. On arriving, i was welcomed in by the other waegooks who told me all about the dictator boss and not to trust the korean staff etc etc.
But I prefer to keep an open mind. I don't believe that it should inevitably be a game of "us and them". Besides, I think this hagwon is markedly better than my previous ones; the other waegooks here haven't worked anywhere else in Korea and don't realise they have a lot of things quite good- (paid in full, on time, an organised set up with a syllabus and a good workable system etc.

I had a similar stiuation when I got to my current hagwon. My boss, who is a decent guy, inheirited the shit situation left by the lady he was replacing. I dont know what this woman did, but everytime my boss did something, the foreigners would act like he was telling them they were'nt getting paid or something.

So I come in here, and with my down to earth ways, and depth of charm, (this is what I keep getting told, regardless of how badly I try to be a bad-ass) I just looked at each party and said, "Dude, chill."

This worked a bit. But what really worked was the main shiit disturbers finishing their contracts and leaving.

So, my advice to you is to be civil to everyone, dont give either side an inch of your consideration when they try to drag you into some sort of stupidity. And if they wont accept that, tell them flat out: "No one here is my enemy. Lets keep it that way."

Last edited by William Beckerson on Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
TECO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed, Beck.
rapier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban myth: yeah, I've already had a year of being the only foreigner at a hakwon, so I'm used to mixing freely and openly with Koreans...the other waegooks here haven't- they're simply here to make some easy cash and then go home. I've told them , look, there's no point in spending your entire time here fighting and angry. You may think you've been hard done by. But thats your experience, not mine- yet. So far the boss has been fine with me: in fact he even came up to me and congratulated me on doing everything so well."
Becks: good advice: I have so far been civil to everybody: the other foreigners have been fine (except for constantly wingeing and making bs comments about the Koreans all the time). I mean, If I was a korean and understood their sarcasm I'd be outraged..After all, many of the Koreans seem to go out of their way to be civil..but are often met with some "witty" answer from the waegooks.

It'll be interesting now. At the end of the day i bade farewell to the boss and one or two of the Koreans as I left work. every other waegook just walks off without a word every day. the silence you could've cut with a knife. Apparently I've not been invited to one of their usual waegook drinking bouts tonight....who cares, I've never felt like a westerner anyway.. more of an African...
busan_boy2000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Simply work at a hakwon where there are no other foreigners?"

Yeah, whatever - thats my situation. I'm sick of the cold shoulder from my Korean coworkers - other than the boss only 1 other Korean teacher will give me the time of day. I can understand the resentment towards us - we get flown in, are the pride and joy of the boss, and get paid more with fewer qualifications in most cases - but come on. Just a response to my "good afternoons" and "goodbyes" would be nice.

They make me feel like I don't exist half the time. Or maybe its just because all the "english teachers" at the english school can't realy speak english at all.......
Medic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean teachers sure don't like it if your making money on the side either. There are the odd one or two who don't care, but most of them get pissed off like hell. I tell any Korean co-workers that my paye is terribly low, and that I'm doing the extra stuff because i enjoy it.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel lucky that in general I get along with my korean and waygookin colleagues.Of course the fact that we are united in our hatred of the director helps in these matters.

In my brief time here, I have learnt the importance of food to facilate friendler relations. About once a month I do a shout of chicken, pizza, icecream whatever. Also I try not to whinge too much at work and just get on with the job at hand.

CLG
buddy bradley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other foreigner at my school is a Filipino. What I hate about working with other foreigners is the competition that arises. The trick is to wear great clothes and just outshine everyone else as far as I'm concerned. Unless you're fat then of course it's hopeless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rapier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone could do more to improve the workplace atmosphere and communication...Pusan boy, I to have had the cold shoulder treatment before, its really pathetic... I for one don't intend to spend a year in a tense situation loaded with silly politics. its not what i'm about at all..and I'm proactively trying to change things. CLG the food idea is good, i've started that a bit already... If things get really bad its probably best to organise a general meeting where you discuss workplace relations in detail and how to improve them...(Which I intend to do this week).
We're all homo sapiens and i don't want to treat koreans any different to foreigners, and make clear I expect the same courtesy.
Any other ideas on how to encourage a rewarding time in the office are welcome.
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the responsibility falls solely on the waygook to form friendships with the korean teachers. It sucks, but I think you just have to accept it & make an effort.. If they reject the kindness then too bad.. give up
matthewwoodford

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I commented to any Korean friends that so-and-so didn't seem interested in talking to me at all I invariably met the same response, that all the Korean teachers/acquaintances were actually really curious about me and but were too shy to talk because of their English.

Just a thought...

Matt
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We're all homo sapiens

This is the truest thing you have ever written.
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
Quote:
We're all homo sapiens

This is the truest thing you have ever written.

That's because he didn't write that Andie is stupid.

On an off tangent to the stout drinkers, I loathe Guinness. Last night, I had a Black and Tan, half guiness and half Moosehead [any light lager will do]

kiwiboy, I highly recommmend Black and Tan.

Andie, i highly recommend post secondayry education.

HTH
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busan_boy2000 wrote:
"Simply work at a hakwon where there are no other foreigners?"

Yeah, whatever - thats my situation. I'm sick of the cold shoulder from my Korean coworkers - other than the boss only 1 other Korean teacher will give me the time of day. I can understand the resentment towards us - we get flown in, are the pride and joy of the boss, and get paid more with fewer qualifications in most cases - but come on. Just a response to my "good afternoons" and "goodbyes" would be nice.

They make me feel like I don't exist half the time. Or maybe its just because all the "english teachers" at the english school can't realy speak english at all.......

It might be that...or it might be that you need to make a little more effort than saying "good afternoon" and "goodbye." If the problem is resentment can you tell me that if you were making say 1 million and another teacher at your school was making 2.5 million for the same or less work than you did that you wouldn't feel a little bitter? At my last hakwon I was the only foreigner and making more money than anyone else, excepting the boss. But I would go out of my way to maintain good relations. If they had a question about English I would drop whatever I was doing and promptly assist them. I would also from time to time buy drinks (apple or orange juice) for all the teachers at the hakwon.
This is not a** kissing, just a simple way to show them that I appreciated their efforts. They did all the testing, marking, report cards, (heck I didn't even have to show up at the weekly meetings). I always found them to be quite appreciative and friendly. In return they would often invite me to go out to dinner or drinks with them.

Not dissing you or anything like that, merely offering a suggestion or two. Then again, they may simply be ashamed of losing face if they reply to you in English (if their English is quite poor).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: