Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching privates to kids in your own school

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gollum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Teaching privates to kids in your own school Reply with quote

Ok, first of all... please spare all of the "Private" links.

If any of you see someone post a list of links in this thread, please stand up on your computer chair and scream, "WHAT AN IDIOT!! That person can't read!"

I've scanned through them, and can't find an answer to this question. If you legitimately know where the exact answer to this question is, then you can post a link.

Second: Spare the "DON'T DO IT -- IT'S WRONG" posts. Again, if someone posts about this, we can all call them an idiot and think they are a bad teacher because they can't read the material posted in front of them.

My question: I got asked by parents to teach a few kids privates from my hagwon this week, and I am not going to do it, but I am really curious if other teachers do this?

I mean -- they're kindy age -- isn't that a heck of a risk?

As the parents were asking me to teach their kids, I couldn't help but think, "The little Dong-Chim is going to tell all his buddies that his teacher comes to his house."

So my question is: Are the privates many of you are lining up coming from adults and not kids at your own school? I'm assuming such a thing as teaching rug-rats from your own school would be committing job suicide?
Juggertha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who does it IN their school. I persoanlly wouln't recomend it but I guess their boss must be cool with it.

Heh, shouldn't we all be so lucky.

But yeah, IMO I wouldn't chance it. Not anywhere near your Hogwons customers.
sayangamber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching privates to kids in your own school Reply with quote

Gollum wrote:

My question: I got asked by parents to teach a few kids privates from my hagwon this week, and I am not going to do it, but I am really curious if other teachers do this?

I mean -- they're kindy age -- isn't that a heck of a risk?

As the parents were asking me to teach their kids, I couldn't help but think, "The little Dong-Chim is going to tell all his buddies that his teacher comes to his house."

So my question is: Are the privates many of you are lining up coming from adults and not kids at your own school? I'm assuming such a thing as teaching rug-rats from your own school would be committing job suicide?

Our hagwon requires that we phone teach our students. When I called last week to do just that my student's mother asked that I teach her privately. I politely refused but told her I see if anyone else I knew was interested. Too me it was too risky as she knows where I work and it would be easy for her to tell the director, etc. Then again, I guess I think all privates are too risky as I haven't taught one yet.
ratslash

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently, someone wrote this on a post not that long ago (but i am not allowed to supply a link) that you can teach privates, but you have to do so in the hagwon, so, therefore and theoretically, they wouldn't be a private, just a one student 'class'. of course, your director has to agree to do this, and, of course, probably no director would.

i've taught a few privates, but the students are never from the same school that i work at. risk, hmmmm, for boosting your income a little i don't think it is too bad. i mean, there is risk in everything you do in life. although you can get caught, and recently there was a post saying someone had got caught, the chances are slim. people agree with doing them, others are strongly against it. someone said that when someone is doing something illegal and they do get caught, it is an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend that reports them! so, if you don't have any spiteful ex's perhaps you might be ok. but perhaps you might get caught. who knows.
Paji eh Wong

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some friends who had a pretty good referal system going. That way, the clients never knew where the teachers lived or worked. I wouldn't teach privates from my students because it's way too much leverage for my boss.
shawner88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought to ask my boss if I can use the hgwon on saturday for some classes, but he's so tight I'm sure he'd want to control it and take more than half the income. He tried to get me to teach an extra adult class of 10 students, but only wanted to increase my pay 200,000/month. I said forget it.
Dr. Buck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the power and influenece of the parents. There is always a "super-ajumma." This well-connected lady usually adds other kids to the hogwon roll-call, and thus, making money for the school. No hogwon owner wants a bad situation with this woman because it could equal a loss of students. If you're doing privates for this woman, probably no worries.

Likewise, if the privates involve parents of police, immigration officers (yes, its been done), judges, and politicians--then you are set as long as you provide top quality lessons to their kids and make an effort to be cool and friendly in the ultra-polite Korean way.

If you encounter any problems with teaching the privates with the boss, then these influnce-mongers will protect you from harm's way by a couple phone calls to the hogwon owner who will most likely bend under the other's higher social/political/financial position.

So it goes, and play the game.
Austin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Gollum... Reply with quote

Proof?

If you do not work with any other foreigners and you do not admit to any other person what you are doing, who is to say "what" it is taking place behind closed doors?

Think about it?

You get paid once a month in advance for the illegal lessons, so once the money (cash, not "soupyows," as they can be traced) has changed hands, who is to say that you are not volunteering your time?

It would be perfectly natural for you to have dinner and to have other "social" gatherings with the parents of your students.

Again, if you are quiet and the parents are quiet (they do not want to get into trouble either), you have nothing to fear.

The reality of people actually getting "busted" for true "privates" is very different from what gets portrayed here. Typically, the people that get busted are either those that work illegally through a recruiter or those that get turned in from a coworker or a former "friend." Obviously, there are exceptions, but I would challenge an user to explain how the "mindful" and "careful" get busted.

Be safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: