Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to be a Good Teacher for Adults?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weatherman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Kimcheekings advice, but also I would add show concern that you want them to learn, and that you care and take seriously your time in the classroom, all the while keeping your humor.
mithridates

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I do for my small adult classes is take a colour Calvin&Hobbes, copy it at a 7-11 somewhere and bring it in. Calvin doesn't work for beginners though, too much sarcasm.
Another thing is to bring in a song based on the music the class likes, and first try to have a discussion involving the words in the lyrics. Bring in some of the grammar if you suspect the students don't know it, and after about 30 minutes of this, then play the song. Play it once or twice getting them to write down everything they hear, then slowly fill them in, i.e. if they heard
"I'd...dry today"
Then explain that it is 'I'd like to keep my cheeks dry today', then explain that it means that this sentence equals 'I don't want to cry'.
Then, after all that you take out the lyrics and pass them around, go over what's left and listen to the song again.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: about the speaking Korean... Reply with quote

With adults a good way to cut out the Korean might be to collect money from them (maybe 100 won) every time they speak Korean. If you keep the atmosphere playful and make a joke out of collecting the money (put it in the "naughty jar" or something) they will probably shape up quickly. Then you can use the money to go out for drinks sometime or buy a cool English dictionary for the student with the top grades or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: