Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer only jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesRaines

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Summer only jobs Reply with quote

I'm a grad student and would like to teach in Korea. Does any one know of any summer only contracts?
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:16 am    Post subject: Summer Camps Reply with quote

There are Summer Camps. Sometimes they can be quite competitive. I worked one last summer, but I found that 70% had taught numerous times in Korea before, and of the remaining ones they had been teaching in other countries. However, nothing wrong with applying. I was also teaching at one of the better ones, so its possible to get a not-so-good one with much lower pay and less interest among those already in Korea.. try to keep an eye out on the esl board around late April or May.. thats usually when I see them advertise.. summer camps are usually around July/August.. hope this helps..
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tiger Beer, are those summer camp things quite similar to the normal schooling(in a classroom and all), or do they spice things up with some field trips or something? Just curious what those camps entail...
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Summer Camps Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Hey Tiger Beer, are those summer camp things quite similar to the normal schooling(in a classroom and all), or do they spice things up with some field trips or something? Just curious what those camps entail...

Mine was 4 weeks with a 1-day fieldtrip to a Korean temple site. It was going to be the beach, but it rained too much.

Most of the classes are in a classroom, but they have them organized by hours. For example, 3 hours of textbook studies, lunch time, outdoor activitiy, reading hour, writing hour, TEFL hour, etc., singing or watching a movie, etc.

We also had plays or skits that half of the classes would perform every Saturday. So alot of time the kids or adults (depending) were quite consumed with that. (Doing the artwork, costumes, creating lines, etc.)

Its alot more easier than regular classrooms, as some hours kind of run by themselves. Generally though, there is alot of excitement the first week, but by the third week everyone wants to go home. The fourth week things pick up alot and alot more excitement, but the students lose their iniative and just want to have kind of party fun day.

Each camp has different directors and different itinerarys, so its hard to be uniform about it. But I think most tend to try to generally just expose English to the students as much as possible with as many ways as possible.

The field trip kind of turns into an all-korean-speaking day just because they are excited. Its hardly conducive to learning English on that day, but its a much-needed pyshcological break from the 4-week intensive English mindset of the camp.

Probably 85% of the time you will be locked away in a classroom with the students trying to find more pores to let more English words seep through their heads..
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Camps Reply with quote

Here are some previous posts about summer and winter camps:
=======================================
http://www.koreanesl.com/esl.htm
Name
Belinda Diers
E-Mail Address
belindagail#hotmail.com
Title: Abuse of contract by ELITE CAMP winter school...
As a South African who was recruited to work as an ESL teacher for (S. Korean) ELITE CAMP winter school, I feel that the following information needs to be emailed to relevant sources.
3 South Africans had bought expensive airoplane tickets to Korea for this winter camp. Our visas did eventually not come through - because of Elite Camp incompetence - and we were promised to be recompensated for the money involved (about $800 per person).
Jane/Michelle from the camp promised that we would be reimbursed, but this has not happened. Jane disappeared, Elite Camp fax numbers did not work and we never heard from them again.
Recently I have discovered that allegedly a Mrs Kim of Elite Camp is responsible for possibly trying to cover up this blatant abuse of contracts - not only with us but other foreign teachers. Another discovery is that members of the Elite Staff including Jane tried to protest that we were not paid out - and has left her job there in protest to Mrs Kim's alleged cover up.
I feel that this information must be shared with 'interested parties'. It is known that Mrs Kim (and her helper, Indie) pleads not to be able to read or talk English when confronted with the kind of issues I am raising.
If anyone has any further information about this instance - as well as others that are occurring in Korea, please email me. I would be most interested to hear from Mrs Kim.
My next email will be to various S Korean newspapers and international agencies, Tefl/ESL sites that are being used by Elite, and the South African S Korean embassy.
Belinda
=========================

http://209.204.62.79/korea/index.cgi?read=135183
Re: MyungJi Summer English Camp
Posted By: Sal
Date: Friday, 12 July 2002, at 9:44 a.m.
In Response To: Re: MyungJi Summer English Camp (meatball)
Actually, they ripped me off. I worked the whole camp last year and they never paid me. I wouldn't do it.
=======================================
http://www.eslcafe.com/korea/index.cgi?read=132710139365
CAMP
Posted By: hippie
Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2002, at 6:58 p.m.
Does anybody know of an English camp teacher who has worked on a tourist visa who didn't get deported when the immigration guys busted the camp?
As far as I know, Everyone on a tourist visa gets deported. Teachers who work at camps with E2's get fined and blacklisted. Does anybody have an experience or know anyone with an experience different than this?
My advice: Before working at an English camp, make sure the boss has already given a "donation" to the immigration office.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: