Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What a joke!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: What a joke! Reply with quote

I've corresponded by email with the previous native teacher at my school. She said the VP made her use paid leave to pay bills at the bank.

She mentioned they kept changing their minds about this, so I will wait and see what he says about paying bills. Surely, they can't do this can they?

The previous native said I can pay bills automatically through my account by direct debit. The water is paid to the landlord. I've sent the native teacher another email to confirm the only bill which can't be paid by direct debit is the water.

I paid by direct debit at my last school, but they never asked me to use paid leave. Before that, I used to go and pay bills every month, wihout taking any paid leave.

I also said I'd check with GEPIK about this. This sounds ridiculous, I can't believe the last native accepted that.

What do you think the official GEPIK position on this would be? If they can do this, it looks like I'll have to use at least one hour of my paid leave, just one time, to set up direct debit payments through my bank account.

What an idiotic VP. Or perhaps, he was trying it on.

Your thoughts? Laughing
icnelly

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think they can force you to use your vacation time/paid leave for paying bills.

You don't have to leave early to do it. Just transfer the money from an ATM. Most bills will come with a host of bank account numbers on them somewhere. Choose one, and just wire transfer from your ATM after school. I pay my apartment fees, and my gas/electric that way.

I'd still want to find out the school's position on this; it could be telling of how they'll act in future scenarios.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Any way I can do this without using paid leave is fine. I'll try that if all else fails. Laughing
cruisemonkey

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not GPIK... but -

I have standing permission to leave the school during working hours. When I do, I don't tell anybody where I'm going or what I'm doing. This way, the K teachers don't their panties' in a knot.

How would they know?
kprrok

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the boss is going to make you take your paid leave to do business that is only available during school hours that you MUST do, why not just take the entire day off a couple of times with sick days. See how he reacts? I'm not advocating this, just an idea.
Robot_Teacher

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's preposterous as can be. I pitch a biitch about this to the point of the issue becoming, "Should I stay or go?" What a big disrespect and disregard for you as an employee for any employer to make you take vacation time to skip out for 1 hour a month to handle bills and other business matters. Salaried 9 to 5er's typically get some flex free time when nothing is going on at work to go out the office and handle their personal business matters. Any employer with common sense treats their office staff with dignity. I know employers at home really lost it so don't just say Korea is the only corrupt place to work.
Otherside

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kprrok wrote:
If the boss is going to make you take your paid leave to do business that is only available during school hours that you MUST do, why not just take the entire day off a couple of times with sick days. See how he reacts? I'm not advocating this, just an idea.

Agreed
Big Mac

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your vice principal is being a dick.

I pay all my bills through online banking, so I never have a need to go to the bank to do it.

I went to the bank once to get a new bankbook and they had no problem with it.
Horangi Munshin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had a quick look through the new EPIK contract for Sept 2009. There seemed to be a clause that was a bit vague but gave the impression to me that any time outside of school could be deducted off vacation days, only if it was over 4 hours though. A total of 4 hours a year? A semester? A month????
fromtheuk

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked a local ATM, it's true I can simply transfer the money to whoever I need to pay. I've been here 2 years and didn't know that. I suppose that's the benefit of being an introvert. Laughing
The Gipkik

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your vp doesn't get it. They are paying the rental costs of the apartment, you are making sure that that contract is maintained and honored. It is to your school's benefit that you pay your bills in a timely and accurate way. If paying through the atm is in any way an inconvenience, get your coteach to preach to the vp to get the message. Make the logic unassailable. That is how you win...
Rory_Calhoun27

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire problem a simple thing like having to GO TO THE BANK drives me crazy at a GEPIK school--- every time the matter came up, my bitchy coteacher would say "Dont concern the school with your personal problems..." of course, the dislogic of the banks only being open during school hours failed to register in her feeble mind... Rolling Eyes

and given some have to send money back home, automatic deducations is irrelevant, at least for me. and I asked at the bank about a button that says ELECTRONIC REMITTANCE on the atm, but was told it wasnt for foreigners.... so if someone is lieing about all this I dont know who it is. Just give me an hour to go to the f-in' bank... Evil or Very Mad
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go. Keep smiling the whole time. If anyone asks, have to go the the bank, bye. and keep smiling as you wave and walk out the door.

If there is anyone trying to hold you back, just keep smiling and say, bye.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go. Keep smiling the whole time. If anyone asks, have to go the the bank, bye. and keep smiling as you wave and walk out the door.

If there is anyone trying to hold you back, just keep smiling and say, bye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: