Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help!!! Going to Bangkok
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lawrence

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Murray Head Reply with quote

Jesus Christ Superstar
rasta man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good, you know your 70's and 80's trivia quite well
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: LP Reply with quote

J.B. Clamence wrote:
How easy is it to find Lonely Planet travel guidebooks in Korea? I figured it should be easy to find the Lonely Planet for Korea, but what about other Asian countries?

Kyobo Bookstore has about 20-30 copies of just about every LP book in print. If you have the Korean LP or the Seoul LP, you should be able to find it pretty easily.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help!!! Going to Bangkok Reply with quote

atina wrote:
Going to Bangkok for a Visa run- I know nothing about this place- I have never been there- what do I need to know??? Shocked Shocked Shocked

First, buy a Lonely Planet guidebook and read up on it.

Second, the official-looking guy at the airport who tells you that Bangkok is under monsoons, but he knows a cheap hotel for $25 is lying. Join the closest group of Europeans fresh off their airplane and share the expense to Khoa Sahn Road. Your own hotel down here should only cost you $5.

Third, everyone who approaches you is going to try to get something from you. They will always engage you in conversation and within 30 seconds try to sell you gems, girls, guys, drugs, a ride somewhere or want something. Ignore them. There is always something in it for them.

Fourth, everything works on commission, so thats why everyone tries to get you to places you don't want to go. If the motorbike takes you to the wrong hotel the owner gives him a kickback. Everything works this way in Thailand.

This is most important since you are a woman going to Thailand:

Fifth, the best looking Thai girls are often guys. So if you want to find a cute Thai guy, look for an attactive Thai girl.
No L

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone doing a visa run to Bangkok:

1) a meter taxi from Khao San Road runs about 100-140 baht (it's not hard to get a taxi back either)

2) visa applications are only accepted 13:30-15:30 Mon-Fri. Visas cannot be issued the same day.

3) the address is 23 Thaim-Ruammit Road, Ratchapisek, Huay Kwang, Bangkok, 10320, ph: 2477537-41, fax: 2477535, [email protected]

4) telling the taxi driver "embassy cow-lee" is a lot more helpful than the address
trevorcollins

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take the subway there now. Makes it a lot easier. Get off at the Thailand Cultural Center stop and walk a couple of minutes down Thiam Ruam Mit Rd. Of course if you're staying in the Khao Sanh area you have to GET to the subway, but if you're somewhere else, Sukhumvit for example it's a cake walk.
trevorcollins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevorcollins wrote:
You can take the subway there now. Makes it a lot easier. Get off at the Thailand Cultural Center stop and walk a couple of minutes down Thiam Ruam Mit Rd. Of course if you're staying in the Khao Sanh area you have to GET to the subway, but if you're somewhere else, Sukhumvit for example it's a cake walk.

Ah, make that a 10-15 minute, dehydrating, fending off death and buzzards, picking shorts out of ass cracks, sweaty stagger from the subway.
Stupid humidity.
If you come from Khao Sanh and want to be cheap, take air con bus (the orange one) number 79 from the busy road parallel to KS Rd. Get off at the World Trade Center and change at that same stop to air con bus number 73. Ride it until you see a big Carrefour shopping center on the left. Get off there, walk off to the right. Both these buses cost 12 baht each. It's easy enough to reverse it, you just have to get the buses on opposite sides of the road to what you did before.
The skytrain and subway from Sukhumvit or Silom Roads are really smooth though.
As of today the visa cost me (Australian) 2000 baht and was ready overnight. Drop off time 1.30-3.30pm. Pick up time 10.00-11.30am the next day.
Staff there are incredibly friendly.
susans70

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all soooo much for the info - i'll be there in about 2 wks getting a visa. i have a contract lined up in korea just not enough time to get the visa at home before leaving so nice to know that the thailand route is easy and feasible.
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of doing my visa run to Bangkok rather than Japan in a couple weeks..

Has anyone done this lately?

The last post on this thread is from almost 3 years ago, so I'm wondering if much has changed...

What are the office hours for passports?
Is the Korean Embassy in the same place?
How long of a wait should I expect after submitting my forms? costs?

Any updated info is appreciated...
kat2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it last June (2006). There's a bunch of info in the travel forum. Just do a search tehre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: