Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Golf in Korea
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muyricotico

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Golf in Korea Reply with quote

Are there any golfers out there? I know it's generally an expensive sport, but are there any reasonable places to go to if you have your own clubs? What kind of prices are we talking about? Quality of courses? Any responses would be appreciated!
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been golfing once in Korea. Even with my own clubs, it costs about 300,000W for a round of 18. The course was mediocre at best, I'd compare it to a $30-40 course in the States. Needless to say, it was definitely not worth the price. Now I only do the golf screens and driving ranges while in Korea.
gakduki

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got into screen golf myself, it's a very cheap and effective way to learn the sport. You get free use of clubs and can choose from multiple courses. Although not 100% accurate, it's as close to the real thing as you can get. Golfing in Korea is strictly for businessmen and the wealthy. Befriend some of them and they may invite you. All the major company's have multiple memberships. You're only other option is to fly to China, Thailand or the Phillipines like most middle class Koreans. Play a few rounds while down there and you are laughing. Never realized how lucky we are in North America to have all that land.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Golf in Korea Reply with quote

muyricotico wrote:
Are there any golfers out there? I know it's generally an expensive sport, but are there any reasonable places to go to if you have your own clubs? What kind of prices are we talking about? Quality of courses? Any responses would be appreciated!

For the price of 36 holes in Korea you can take a trip to the Philippines, golf your weekend away and return.

Video golf or driving ranges my friend.

Real golf on the links is a rich man's sport here.

Old fat expat

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay 40,000w for 9 holes and 70,000w for 18.

The 18 hole course is really nice (a past president used to play on it, he even had his own guest house on the course).

BUT: I don't live in Seoul.

It is still expensive though.

The real problem is getting a booking. Unless you have a Korean friend who plays and will include you into a foursome, it is going to be difficult to go online a reserve a time. Also, be prepared for a 6 o'clock morning start.

Driving ranges are OK (unless you are a lefty, then you are SOL).
kwokman

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the location of that golf course expat? I've been itching to go but I heard that it's insanely expensive as someone has already mentioned so I decided to leave my clubs at home. If the place you go to is a reasonable trip away, maybe I'll have my clubs sent from home.
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old fat expat wrote:
Driving ranges are OK (unless you are a lefty, then you are SOL).

Is that due to lack of left-handed rental clubs or some other reason?
southernman

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just play screen golf due to the outragious prices as well.

The problems with being left handed at screen golf are that unless its a very new setup you can only play right handed another problem is there will probably only be right handed clubs. The availablity of left handed clubs could also be a problem at golf ranges as well.

I agree about just going to China the Philippines or even Thailand (Vietnam I don't know about) play a few games there and comparatively speaking it pays for your trip.

I've played with two left handers here and after a few games they've both been driving 250 meters plus on ocassions, righ handed. I'm really glad they're not playing left handed Very Happy

Screen golfs really cheap 10 000 Won for room and clubs for 9 holes or your choice. Plus usually heaps of free snacks, beers are only 3000 Won a can. Its really good value for money and the I agree with another poster the accuracey is surprisingly good
Old fat expat

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kwokkman:

The place I was talking about is next to a military base by GyoengJu (sp?) just west of Daejeon. But you will need to know someone who is a member. At times I get lucky and am invited, mainly because one of my female students is a hot ajuma, and the guy inviting has the hots for her. She brings me along (because I'm funny).

Jonpurdy:

I am a lefty, and had a hell of a problem just buying clubs here. Most driving ranges offer 1 spot against the wall. Out of say 30 berths, one is for lefties, and if there are problems with other equipment, your machine is most likely to be cannibalized. That suggests a 3% accommodation for what is about 12-15% of golfers. Older screen golf places do not offer lefty berths, but the newer places do.

I can see where golf might be a blast back home, so I play it here (it is where I have learnt) just in case I make it home and want something to do between super 14 and the tri-nations.

I think what others are saying is by and large true. It is expensive (even what I pay) and I have heard horror stories of huge amounts paid for a good walk ruined.
lawyertood

Location: Seoul, Incheon and the World--working undercover for the MOJ

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few 9-hole par 3 courses which aren't too bad for price. One in the Cheonan area that I've played a few times. Weekday rate was about 17,000 for 9 holes. Have to hit off a mat, fairways are very narrow, but okay to work on irons and short game.
muyricotico

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems as though I might as well leave the sticks at home. I've heard other places in Asia are fairly cheap but I didn't realize that Korea sucked as far as the price goes. Thanks for everyones input.
HapKi

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played the US military Songnam GC (in southern Seoul) a couple of times, though its been many years ago. It's probably still advertised on AFN as well. It's a very developed course bought from the Koreans quite a while ago. You need to go with US military or ex-military to get signed on, but it's just like back home. I think green fees were in the $20-$30 range, cheap carts and rental as well. Sadly my military sources have all packed up and gone...
drdst122

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm places near COEX or Gangnam that have left handed screen golf?

I found one place apgujeong named GolfZon (no E) near exit 3 on the apgujeong stop.

I have been in 3-4 other places around COEX where I am and none of them have lefty clubs or mats.

Any more places you know of in close proximity would be much appreciated!
tjmauermann

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along those lines anyone know where to get decent priced clubs. Really want a set of Nike Victory Reds. roughly $900 at home but around 1.3mil won here looking for a place that sells them cheaper if any.

Should I be booking a trip somewhere to pick them up elsewhere?
okok

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drdst122 wrote:
Can anyone confirm places near COEX or Gangnam that have left handed screen golf?

An old thread, but a quick bump for this.
Anyone know of a decent left handed screen golf place in Gangnam?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: